PDA

View Full Version : ICE Epic marker

bigguy
01-14-2007, 10:58 PM
have any of you guys seen/played with this gun?

looks REALLY interesting.

how is the speed/relyablity?
how good is this thing?

click on the picture to watch the video.

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=Epic+Ice+paintball&hl=en

VFX_Fenix
01-14-2007, 11:04 PM
looks pretty snazzy, I'd be interested to mess around with one.

bigguy
01-14-2007, 11:13 PM
no kidding! looks cool!

MoeMag
01-14-2007, 11:14 PM
:eek:

It looks like it’s a pneumatic system. No batteries. Look how the trap door moves in relation to the trigger position. Looks like a 3 way system.

I like it

ojhspyro89
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I so want one now. I need a good mech....

Pneumagger
01-14-2007, 11:16 PM
I saw that guns site a few months ago... they'resupposedly coming out with an electro version of the epic.

RRfireblade
01-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Been out for 3-4 years now maybe 5 , latest version is the DV 8? I believe. Fairly solid design after some early teething issues. Was limited in max ROF but continually gotten better in later revisions. One of the original 'trap door' designs.

quick_spyder
01-15-2007, 01:05 AM
I've heard they are very nice. Some people have compared them with Tac Ones and have said the Epic is better overall. This is how it works.
http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/epic.gif

Triangle
01-15-2007, 01:56 AM
I've heard they are very nice. Some people have compared them with Tac Ones and have said the Epic is better overall. This is how it works.
http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/epic.gif

How are they comparable to a tac one?
I'm not seeing the comparison.

Pneumagger
01-15-2007, 02:05 AM

Youre not trying hard enough. Drink like 10 beers and squint a little...

/there ya go!

lather
01-15-2007, 06:33 AM
I own an Epic for the past year or so. Its really a great mech gun. Shoots Co2 and Hpa equally well, very consistant, effecient and shoots smooth with very little kick. Smoother than spool valve electros even :) I have never chopped a ball with this gun yet--probably shot about 10-12 cases so far with them. Very simple and durable--plus no hoses! Regulator in the grip ala Invert Mini. Trigger's got a smooth pull although a bit longer than any electro of course. Makes a unique "pop" when fired.

I like them so much I just bought another one--both are the trap-door pro models.

turbo chicken
01-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Been out for 3-4 years now maybe 5 , latest version is the DV 8? I believe. Fairly solid design after some early teething issues. Was limited in max ROF but continually gotten better in later revisions. One of the original 'trap door' designs.

i've seen one in action ... neato looking they are tiny in my opnion ... but like any quality marker out there they are a little more expensive than most mech markers ... but from the reviews they seem to be pretty solid ...

bigguy
01-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Do you think someone could play around with them enough to be able to walk them like an electro?

SR_matt
01-15-2007, 11:34 AM
my friend has one (i havent seen the guy for a year or 2 though so im assumign he still has it). it was an interesting little thing (loud as crap though). the only problem i remembe rhim having was the qloader was pussing balls past the detents. he seemed to like it and it seemed to work well

-matt

slade
01-15-2007, 12:59 PM
i dunno, running a marker off an internal combusiton engine seems like a bad idea to me :p

/maybe itd work better for a backman

wjr
01-15-2007, 01:49 PM
I saw that guns site a few months ago... they'resupposedly coming out with an electro version of the epic.

I seem to remember hearing this rumor a long time ago, so I'm just guessing that it's not going to happen.

Mabye like the ICE equivalent of the DW hAir.

biojuggernaut
01-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I seem to remember hearing this rumor a long time ago, so I'm just guessing that it's not going to happen.

Mabye like the ICE equivalent of the DW hAir.

I own one. http://www.pbnation.com/showthread.php?t=1920962

The gun is extremely small. In fact my set up(s) weight under 5 pounds with paint. Very nice, somewhat loud when a ball isnt in the breach. Although the state no kick, there is a small amount from the air, and the ball leaving the ball. Shoots amazing and is INCREDABLLY small. The same size as an invert mini. The feedneck is a tad high, and the trap door works incredable. It shoots like an omen, only instead of pushing the ball past the feedneck, it closes the feedneck. The trap door pushed the ball into the barrel for dead on accuracy. It blows my tac one out of the water. The only problem is Jim sometimes goes on vacation from time to time, and doesnt respond to emails quickly (3-4 days time). He is working on new ups for the epic and I cant wait to recieve them (he gives them out free to anyone who has purcahsed the epic within that last year).

y0da900
01-15-2007, 03:09 PM
I never liked the little finger on the bottom of the trap door that pushes the ball into the barrel, seems to defeat part of the purpose of no bolt if you still have a piece of plastic pushing the paint around.

biojuggernaut
01-15-2007, 03:14 PM
I never liked the little finger on the bottom of the trap door that pushes the ball into the barrel, seems to defeat part of the purpose of no bolt if you still have a piece of plastic pushing the paint around.

The "finger" doesnt shoot the ball, it moves it into the barrel and directs the air around the ball for better accuracy.

quick_spyder
01-15-2007, 03:54 PM
It's not an internal/parts comparison, it's a marker-to-marker comparison with accuracy, efficiency and durability.
You certainly hop to it to make someone sound stupid.

scion
01-15-2007, 04:02 PM
The "finger" doesnt shoot the ball, it moves it into the barrel and directs the air around the ball for better accuracy.

But it still touches the ball, just like a bolt would. That is why some people prefer the trapdoor classic that doesn't have the "finger". The only disadvantage is that you might have balls roll out of your barrel. A barrel kit would solve that.

Ydna
01-15-2007, 04:07 PM
They're cool guns. I think the developers pulled a "mikewoods" and fouled up the sales pitch with lack of cosmetic milling. It's really unfortunately that it has so much to do with a marker being successful or not.

It's basically a valve that acts much like an mQ, except it uses a mech trigger instead of a solenoid. That and there's a little shutoff like from an automag. There's a lot of different choices that you could make to turn it electro, or pneumatic like a pneumag. I'd really like to get into a project like that if there were more of the guns floating around (so I could replace mine...lol)

Triangle
01-15-2007, 05:15 PM
It's not an internal/parts comparison, it's a marker-to-marker comparison with accuracy, efficiency and durability.
You certainly hop to it to make someone sound stupid.

Sound stupid?
Lets see.
A Tac one in an automag with a different body.
Tossa a Karta onto it.
Now it's a Karta mag.
Accuracy is going to be bananas no matter what you do.
All you need an an appropriate length barrel....and....it needs to be clean.
That's all.

"I've heard they are very nice. Some people have compared them with Tac Ones and have said the Epic is better overall. This is how it works"

The Epic and an Automag are two completely different marker.
So guys, I shot a viking the other day. It shot alot like a mag.
It put paint where I pointed my gun, and cycled when I pulled the trigger.
Same thing, right?

SR_matt
01-15-2007, 05:21 PM
they are refering to preformance dude, if you had half of a brian you could determine what people were talikg about at lesat prat of the time.

frankly i am getting really tired of people give no help when a question is asked, being a total a-hole, then just ragging on people, so damnit if you are just going to piss people off shut up and go away
-matt

Triangle
01-15-2007, 05:25 PM
they are refering to preformance dude, if you had half of a brian you could determine what people were talikg about at lesat prat of the time.

frankly i am getting really tired of people give no help when a question is asked, being a total a-hole, then just ragging on people, so damnit if you are just going to piss people off shut up and go away
-matt

Oh no, an internet toughguy.

It's called the ignore button.

latches109
01-15-2007, 05:54 PM
I wonder if the trap-door would chop paint when there is tension on the ball stack; i.e. a halo. Possibly, even more so with brittle paint.

Triangle
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM
I wonder if the trap-door would chop paint when there is tension on the ball stack; i.e. a halo. Possibly, even more so with brittle paint.

A guy I used to play with had one he put a lot of work and money into.
He had an Empire loader at the top, and when I played a day with it I didn't find any issues with the ballstack or have any issues with the trap door.

y0da900
01-15-2007, 05:57 PM

Bolts don't shoot the ball either, the burst of air going through it does that. Directing the air around the finger won't do anything for accuracy. The only real advantage to a trapdoor that I can see is that it doesn't need to push the ball with a solid object, the finger negates that benefit.

lather
01-15-2007, 11:13 PM

Halo on an Epic is overkill--sort of like putting z-rated tires on a Yugo :) --I use either my revvy or apache on my epic, either of which are way lighter than a halo and are more than fast enough to feed.

quick_spyder
01-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh no, an internet toughguy.

It's called the ignore button.
Well, if we're assigning internet positions. I think internet ***hole suits you well. You knew what I was talking about. So you're saying a cyborg and a spyder shoot the same, pull the trigger and the paint goes out the barrel.

bigguy, sorry for the irrelevant posts.

Triangle
01-15-2007, 11:48 PM
Well, if we're assigning internet positions. I think internet ***hole suits you well. You knew what I was talking about. So you're saying a cyborg and a spyder shoot the same, pull the trigger and the paint goes out the barrel.

bigguy, sorry for the irrelevant posts.
Of course I knew what you were talking about. You were making another stupid comparison.

I didn't bring up cyborgs or spyders or zonkers or zoodles.

But...I'm glad you understood my point.
All paintball markers will fire a balle (if chambered) down the barrel, when you depress the trigger.
Learning is fun, no?

jenarelJAM
01-16-2007, 12:13 AM
^^^ he means everything else is user preference.

Triangle, why don't you just explain yourself instead of trying to incite riots all the time?
(that was a serious question)

Triangle
01-16-2007, 12:14 AM
^^^ he means everything else is user preference.

Triangle, why don't you just explain yourself instead of trying to incite riots all the time?
(that was a serious question)

Because AO is boring without fires.

Desega
01-16-2007, 01:07 AM
Why all the hate? :cry:

zorrotmm
01-16-2007, 10:13 AM
I've owned the DV8 for a few months now, and love it. Honestly, I think it's a superior design to anything else out there. Obviously, I put a low priority on rate of fire. There's NO troubleshooting. everything is contained in the marker, all there is to deal with is the feedneck, trap door and breach.

The nice thing is you can choose weather to use the trap door with the "hook" or without. I did find out that if you don't use a barrel system, the trap door without the hook is a better, and the one with the hook is MUCH worse. With a barrel system, the one with the hook works great.

I still say there's no kick. There's vibration, but it just doesn't kick back. I would prefer it over my mag if I wasn't able to customize my mag setup as much as I have.

Oh, and their customer service is impecable. They could go toe to toe with tippmann in that regard.

biojuggernaut
01-16-2007, 01:35 PM
I've owned the DV8 for a few months now, and love it. Honestly, I think it's a superior design to anything else out there. Obviously, I put a low priority on rate of fire. There's NO troubleshooting. everything is contained in the marker, all there is to deal with is the feedneck, trap door and breach.

The nice thing is you can choose weather to use the trap door with the "hook" or without. I did find out that if you don't use a barrel system, the trap door without the hook is a better, and the one with the hook is MUCH worse. With a barrel system, the one with the hook works great.

I still say there's no kick. There's vibration, but it just doesn't kick back. I would prefer it over my mag if I wasn't able to customize my mag setup as much as I have.

Oh, and their customer service is impecable. They could go toe to toe with tippmann in that regard.

I have to agree, the marker maintence is AMAZING. Its two small screws, and the lubing of the door rod. Your done. Feild maintence is a breeze, and nothing can go wrong, or tremendously hurt your game with bad preformance. I remember one day when I over lubed my mag, the foamies would send balls in odd directions I didnt even know existied. The epic, is the perfect gun for retarded people like me. :D

going_home
01-16-2007, 08:22 PM
http://www.icepaintball.com/On-line%20sales.htm

437 shipped with a barrel for gloss. A tad bit pricey for an unknown.

scion
01-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Unknown in the sense that it's not advertised. It's been around for quite a while and has proven itself worthy (opinion, obviously). I like the design and idea a lot but the only reason I don't consider it as much as a mag when I'm saving my monies is (yes, I'm ashamed to say it) IT'S FUGLY. I hate how the feedneck is so high and the block underneath the grip is hideous. I agree with ydna in that a little bit of milling could have went a long, long, long way IMO.

Malystryx
01-16-2007, 11:20 PM
The markers been out forever, I remember seeing it back on the cover of an APG magazine atleast 5 years ago. I've always wanted one, but too expensive new, and no one seems to sell them used, atleast that I can find...

Malystryx
01-16-2007, 11:29 PM
Actually found some older pics of them:
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/f1-0108-1.jpg
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/f1-0108-2.jpg
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/f1-0108-3.jpg
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/f1-0108-4.jpg
http://apg.cfw2.com/assets/images/site/apg/f1-0108-5.jpg

zorrotmm
01-17-2007, 08:56 AM
The markers been out forever, I remember seeing it back on the cover of an APG magazine atleast 5 years ago. I've always wanted one, but too expensive new, and no one seems to sell them used, atleast that I can find...

Exactly. I think you just proved those that spend the 400 plus find that the value is appropriate.

Toll
01-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Does anyone else channel the Assault 80 line of marker when they see this?

From what I've seen of them they'll never be found used simply because there aren't that many out there that people would want to get rid of. That'd be my back up marker for the rest of my paintballing days until I tinkered with it and broke it.

turbo chicken
01-17-2007, 10:28 AM
Exactly. I think you just proved those that spend the 400 plus find that the value is appropriate.

Beat me to it ...

3DSteve
01-17-2007, 12:01 PM
Jim Reible?!?!?!?!
that's the guy from Grizwald that used to wear the Donald Duck hat all the time.

91Foxtrot
01-17-2007, 01:55 PM
Here is a question for the Epic owners. The Epic website mentions that you can use a drop on them. Can you remove that ASA thing? Or do you mount the drop to the ASA and route the air back to it?

biojuggernaut
01-17-2007, 02:22 PM
You actually bolt the drop on the bottom of the asa. You then use an asa screw in (like on remotes) and run marco to the drops asa.

SR_matt
01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Does anyone else channel the Assault 80 line of marker when they see this?

From what I've seen of them they'll never be found used simply because there aren't that many out there that people would want to get rid of. That'd be my back up marker for the rest of my paintballing days until I tinkered with it and broke it.

are you saying you think the assault 80's and epics are similar in fuction or in the type of people and ideas that buy them?

if you are saying the function than not really, but the type of person that would buy it i would tend to agree with you

-matt

quick_spyder
01-17-2007, 03:53 PM
He's talking about them having the same looks.

SR_matt
01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
definatly forgot to talk about that part, i had thought thats what he could have meant but forgot to put that in, ya i do agree that it has a little of that look, mostly mini-ified
-matt

Triangle
01-17-2007, 04:05 PM
He's talking about them having the same looks.
NO ITS LIKE A TAC ONE

paintballfiend
01-17-2007, 04:31 PM
Good marker but it is just so freaking ugly. And in this business that is half the battle.

Triangle
01-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Good marker but it is just so freaking ugly. And in this business that is half the battle.

The other half of the battle of course, is knowing.

Ydna
01-17-2007, 04:50 PM
If i recall, the MSRP was 700 when they were first released...

biojuggernaut
01-17-2007, 06:25 PM
yea it was. That was nearly 5 years ago though,

quick_spyder
01-17-2007, 11:44 PM
NO ITS LIKE A TAC ONE
Damn, man. You do not have to post anything. Just look at my "stupid" posts, shake your head and click "Back".

bryceeden
01-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Its been out longer than that, it was around when I started playing back in 2000, I remember hearing a fair amount about it so it had probably just recently come out back then but yes, they're pretty old. I didn't know they still made them truthfully they were never that popular, it seems like every few years someone sees one and asks about them here but yes, as I've never seen one in real life and have nothing more to add I'll end this post.

Lenny
01-19-2007, 02:01 AM
Hey! I wrote a review for the Epic on PB Review. My name is RealPB over there. Look it up.

Boydster
01-21-2007, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know the name of the song in that video?

p8ntball72
01-21-2007, 08:09 PM
I have tested several epics over the years, and can explain some of the changes and differences from its inception.

First,
the purpose for the "finger door" is to "breech" the ball into the firing position.
Prior to the finger ICE tested and released a sizing kit assortment of doors to help stabilize the ball. {similar to paint to barrel match}
http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2097/dsc003894xi.jpg

The finger does not act like a bolt because.
A bolt not only pushes the ball into position, it also seals the chamber, and in most cases applies great force on the ball while doing it.

The finger merely guides the ball into the breech with less than 3 pounds of pressure.

Second,
The size of the Epic is small in relation to a standard mag
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2585/dsc004631bb.jpg

Third,
Here is a video I made when Haters were saying my epic "sucked" :cool:
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDO8ot97TtE"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tDO8ot97TtE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="600" height="350"></embed></object>

Boydster
01-22-2007, 11:38 PM
Anybody know the name of that song? That would be the most badass song for myspace ever.
Please help me out. The song in the epic vid... what's it called...