PDA

View Full Version : The making of the ultra noob

Lohman446
01-16-2007, 11:09 AM
There was a recent team practice at the field I usually play at where teams were invited to come in and just play the field in a "high end" rec day type thing in preperation for a tournament. Teams were able to stay together or not, and then pick up players as needed.

Now, most people think its the marker that defines someone, I tried to buy an Ion but as they were sold out ended up with a PMR. No big deal, this is still a "low end" marker that is kept obviously stock.

I don't think its the marker most people look at, where everyone had dressed in full tournament gear I had thrown on a pair of denim jeans, some underarmour, and a t-shirt. Yeh, I have all the gear, or enough at home still, but did not feel like doing this. Add to this simple non-paintball cleats (I like better anyways) and people were getting the impression I had no spot being there. I did stuff a single pod into the pocket of my denim jeans.

Interestingly enough I was seldom picked early on picking teams and most people ignored me. Sure I had friends there who knew me, but they were for the most part not trying to stand out. The first game I ask my new teammates the concept of the game - they send me up the deathtrap that is the middle of that particular field. No big deal I hold it a few moments, then make a break to the right snake, shimmie down it, and cause the other team fits, along with eliminating many of them. Eventually I get hit, no big deal. The whole day kinda went like this :).

So... last week my denim jeans found that they do not like turf and were destroyed in that epiphany. I ordered a set of - ready for this CAMO BDU pants. Not just any camo, least someone think I am an experienced woodsballer just coming in for a game or two, but URBAN CAMO.

My new goal is to fit into the newbie category as much as possible when walking on field :). My first tournament Im allowed to play bottom bracket (taking my sister who has never played and my g/f who has never played). I think the team name Innocent works ideally :).

shorty24
01-16-2007, 11:30 AM
This idea is made of so much win! :shooting:

I have done this on occasion myself, but alas, my BDUs no longer fit...

ricwhic414
01-16-2007, 11:35 AM
I have always wanted to do that... Have fun and you will probably turn some heads

turbo chicken
01-16-2007, 11:52 AM
rocking the teeshirt and jeans + PGP = not a threat ... not getting attention on the speedball field is the best ever ... it definately helps when playing at a disadvantage ...

When i wear the jersey and pants the only thing that is different is they don't ask if im sure if i want to play with the "advanced" players ... i still don't get attention because of the PGP but what the hey ...

I wouldn't even have the raven jersey and pants if they weren't on clearance ... i got both for a total of 30.00 ... just couldn't pass up that deal.

If i ever play in a tourney ... the teams uniforms will be jeans and teeshirts if it is hot and sweaters if it is cold ... with our team name and logo drawn on with a magic marker ... :headbang:

SCpoloRicker
01-16-2007, 12:00 PM
*looks at hockey jersey and snowboard pants*

;)

paintballfiend
01-16-2007, 12:15 PM
I wouldn't even have the raven jersey and pants if they weren't on clearance ... i got both for a total of 30.00 ... just couldn't pass up that deal.

ActionVillage FTW :headbang:

REDRT
01-16-2007, 01:23 PM
You know what they say. The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That is why some people seem bright until they speak. :p You want to pose as a noob, start molding yourself like don miguel as an example. He has to be the reigning ultra noob.

Desega
01-16-2007, 01:30 PM
I heard that! LOL great story, I've done that with my A5 a few times, makes me look less of a player than my timmy or my e-mag.

Lohman446
01-16-2007, 02:03 PM
You know what they say. The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound. That is why some people seem bright until they speak. :p You want to pose as a noob, start molding yourself like don miguel as an example. He has to be the reigning ultra noob.

I'm sure DM is one of those annoying little kids who talks far too much trash in an attempt to overcome his own noobiness and fit in with the advanced players. One of those that made me quit the game for awhile last year. One of those that you just want to see if you can squeeze there neck hard enough to make there head pop off type :)

buzzboy
01-16-2007, 03:17 PM
I'm sure DM is one of those annoying little kids who talks far too much trash in an attempt to overcome his own noobiness and fit in with the advanced players. One of those that made me quit the game for awhile last year. One of those that you just want to see if you can squeeze there neck hard enough to make there head pop off type :)

"Why You Little"http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/JDAVIDSON/homer%20bart.jpg

buzzboy
01-16-2007, 03:19 PM
On the nubish side of things last time I went to play at a real facility my friend and I were almost brought to bring out a 98 C and a spyder plus some "bullets" but we never got to saddly.

I can say though that on many occations I have played speedball in flip flops.

wjr
01-16-2007, 05:54 PM
Every time I ply I always wear a pair of camo fatigues and a t-shirt. Heck, I don't even use pods. And mind you I play speedball exclusively.

That, coupled with a classic mag (most kids have no idea what it is) or Blazer (again), makes me look like a huge noob, especially when I run the Blazer on a gravity feed hopper.

People are always surprised when I end up shooting them.

latches109
01-16-2007, 05:55 PM
The first time i played in lakeside, i wore board shorts, t-shirt, and sandals, (b/c i forgot my cammo) with a bunch of woodsballers. I was assumed a noob and picked close to last. What you wear commands respect.

punkncat
01-16-2007, 11:22 PM
I try a very similar thing often. I will either go dressed in "non" paintball or all jungle BDU's. Generally it only works for a game or two before I am figured out.

Tao
01-17-2007, 12:13 AM
There was a recent team practice at the field I usually play at where teams were invited to come in and just play the field in a "high end" rec day type thing in preperation for a tournament. Teams were able to stay together or not, and then pick up players as needed.

Now, most people think its the marker that defines someone, I tried to buy an Ion but as they were sold out ended up with a PMR. No big deal, this is still a "low end" marker that is kept obviously stock.

I don't think its the marker most people look at, where everyone had dressed in full tournament gear I had thrown on a pair of denim jeans, some underarmour, and a t-shirt. Yeh, I have all the gear, or enough at home still, but did not feel like doing this. Add to this simple non-paintball cleats (I like better anyways) and people were getting the impression I had no spot being there. I did stuff a single pod into the pocket of my denim jeans.

Interestingly enough I was seldom picked early on picking teams and most people ignored me. Sure I had friends there who knew me, but they were for the most part not trying to stand out. The first game I ask my new teammates the concept of the game - they send me up the deathtrap that is the middle of that particular field. No big deal I hold it a few moments, then make a break to the right snake, shimmie down it, and cause the other team fits, along with eliminating many of them. Eventually I get hit, no big deal. The whole day kinda went like this :).

So... last week my denim jeans found that they do not like turf and were destroyed in that epiphany. I ordered a set of - ready for this CAMO BDU pants. Not just any camo, least someone think I am an experienced woodsballer just coming in for a game or two, but URBAN CAMO.

My new goal is to fit into the newbie category as much as possible when walking on field :). My first tournament Im allowed to play bottom bracket (taking my sister who has never played and my g/f who has never played). I think the team name Innocent works ideally :).

Congrats you have brought the concept of "Smurfing" from online gaming to paintball :spit_take

Desega
01-17-2007, 01:16 AM
I've done this a few times, but for the most part I even play woodsball in my Speedball gear. :D

VFX_Fenix
01-17-2007, 03:26 AM
I think this is more along the lines of a "Sleeper Team" m'self. :ninja:

MicroMiniMe
01-17-2007, 09:34 AM
Sandbagger....
:rolleyes:

:rofl:

J/King ya man. Good to see you have some fun out there.
You gotta talk up in the staging area next time how you are going to 'mill up your Spyder with a dremel and paint it with the bomb cans orange and pink.'

:cool:

turbo chicken
01-17-2007, 10:50 AM
I've done this a few times, but for the most part I even play woodsball in my Speedball gear. :D

I've been known to do that as well ...and be a big distraction ... especially when we play 30 min long scenario type games with respawn at the staging area ... I've been known just to sprint for one of the flags at the beginning of a game ... and why not when all i have to do is wait 2 mins before i get to reinsert ...

LegumeOfTerror
01-17-2007, 11:21 AM
im to well know at my feild, and when i break out the PGP the people who know who i am lane me as apposed to players with "better" guns. it makes pump play difficult, but its more fun that way anyhow.

NewbieMagMan10988
01-17-2007, 11:36 AM
Lohman=my hero.

I heard you sold all your stuff, including the pnu-mag. :(

Good to hear your having fun/stil playing!

Mike

Triangle
01-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Lohman=my hero.

I heard you sold all your stuff, including the pnu-mag. :(

Good to hear your having fun/stil playing!

Mike

Lohman never owned a Pmag.

geekwarrior
01-17-2007, 11:51 AM

really? he had one for sale awhile back.

Lohman446
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM

I had one, Mike shot it I think. I did sell all my stuff, but I kept a few jerseys, pants, some misc. spare parts, a brass PGP that was taken apart while not sober.... and a couple pods

paintman1234
01-17-2007, 12:34 PM
indeed he did have a pneumag.

I enjoyed rockin my jeans sunday with my camo pump, its good fun

Lohman446
01-17-2007, 01:02 PM
indeed he did have a pneumag.

I enjoyed rockin my jeans sunday with my camo pump, its good fun

Depending on you for cover fire is a whole new experience too.

Cheeze
01-17-2007, 01:26 PM
If you guys plan on playing in a woodsball game sometime with a bunch of people wearing all forest camo, show up with a hunter orange pull over and wind breaker pants. Turns heads for sure.

turbo chicken
01-17-2007, 01:33 PM
im to well know at my feild, and when i break out the PGP the people who know who i am lane me as apposed to players with "better" guns. it makes pump play difficult, but its more fun that way anyhow.

this happens from time to time ... i recently have only been visiting the indoor field and a few of the regulars have wised up to me as well ... but like you said ... it definately makes it more interesting ...

and even if i have one or 2 people playing what i call "wack a mole" with me that leaves someone else on my team free to move ... so in the sceme of things it still works out...

wack a mole = me snap shooting with the PGP from a different spot of the bunker each time i pop out ... by the time the opposing player reacts im back behind the bunker :headbang:

Desega
01-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Lol

turbo chicken
01-17-2007, 02:02 PM
Now that i'm thinking about it may have to show up in some kakis and a button up shirt with shirt tucked in and a belt like i walked in from wrok ... leave my box o' paintball crap in the car and only bring my mask,PGP,12ies, and tubes ... sit thru the orientation video and talk it up in staging like mentioned above ... like "wow you don't have to pump your gun" ... "where did you get one of those" ... "it runs on what ... batteries" ... "when did those come out"

wonder if anyone would take me seriously that way ...

oh and the hunter orange idea :rofl: ... classic

Arstron
01-17-2007, 02:28 PM
I have a set of camo coveralls that I keep handy for winter play, add my phantom or one of my classic mags and I fit in pretty good. :)