PDA

View Full Version : A general "how-to" about posting here on AO.

PsychoBaller
01-17-2007, 10:05 PM
The following is a brief attempt to help some o the new peoples that find their way to Automags.org., and some of the old... :rolleyes:

Even if you're not looking to make any friends here on AO, the following will assist you to not make enemies... :mad: or at least, not a lot of enemies.

I am in no way trying to diss you, make fun of you for being an AO newbie, or newb in general.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For the most part, AOer's don't get annoyed with newbs to the board, but more so, with repetitive-pointless-ignorant type posters.

Understand, you don't have to make a new post on every single thought you have; and you certainly don't have to post in every single person's thread :nono: . While some may argue, the amount of posts you have does not = greatness. If I had it my way, I would get rid of the post-counter from all forums just to kill that dispute. Continuing, neither does one's join-date cause one to be better than another. While I've been around longer than most, I merely see my experience gained from this forum to be of value.

Your opinion is valuable, but it's how you USE your opinion that counts. If you don't know something, simply refrain from posting. Try and use the SEARCH function to find posts on a question you may have. 99% of the time, it's already been answered and the post is awaiting your re-discovery.

Furthermore, Please... Please, use spell-check of some sort before you post. Drag and drop your post into an E-mail and/or Word program if you must. Unless you really don't know how to spell or use punctuation... at least try and use a dictionary even a tiny bit (they have free ones online too ya know). It will allow people to more clearly understand what you're trying to get across. After originally posting, there is an EDIT button that appears for corrective purposes. I find myself using it quite frequently. If you've found your original post to be in error, attempt cleaning it up a bit.

Lastly, sarcasm is not always understood on-line, so use the available, and free, emoticons - :cool: - to help others see your point of view. Have fun and spread good cheer, just be careful doing it.

:cheers:

-baller

small edit: Army, I see what ya did, good call.

warbeak2099
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Also, we accept noobs with open arms. Nothing is more fun that teaching someone the ropes. It's when a noob acts like they know everything when we get violent. If you are a noob, listen and be seen not heard. After a while when you actually know something, you will be able to comment on things. But do not do so before you have a full understanding of the issue. We like to teach noobs, we don't need to be taught by them. That is incredibly annoying and aggravating. When a noob tries to "teach" us that the eye system on a DMC or Ego is worse than the ACS bolt on their Spyder Electra... it makes us want to break things... living things.

jenarelJAM
01-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Sticky?

pennywise
01-18-2007, 02:19 AM
We like to teach noobs, we don't need to be taught by them.
Understatement of the year.

A newby, or noob, could teach us old farts a lot actually. They come to the game with a fresh perspective that hasn't been tainted by the "whiny baby" attitude of many players. So what if they come equipped with a Spyder Electra?--they've got to start somewhere. Hell, that's better than what I started with!
Granted, no one wants to hear them saying stupid things like their ACS bolt is better than eyes; however, it would behoove (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/behoove) everyone if they are humbly told/shown why they are wrong.

No one wins with a "holier-than-thou" attitude.

Lenny
01-18-2007, 02:44 AM
...When a noob tries to "teach" us that the eye system on a DMC or Ego is worse than the ACS bolt on their Spyder Electra... it makes us want to break things... living things.
QFT. I hate non-technically incline personel trying to "teach" me something that I am already familiar with.

But newbs can teach us some things. Maybe not alot on gear or technique, but ya never know... Shoot, Don Miguel taught me the patience I need to resist punching my computer moniter to death over everything retarded he says (and we all know there have been alot of them). :mad:

*take a deep breath... breathe in... release...*

Dubstar112
01-18-2007, 02:53 AM
QFT.

moniter

:rofl:

likewise. I have been around here quite a while, and I remember there was a time when most of the newbie questions would just simply get the word "search" as a reply. I think its time we start that again. However, I will add "Search, but do no resurrect", great if you found the answer acknowledge it peacefully to yourself instead of adding "cool" to a three year old post/topic. Unless you have something truly factual or relative to add.

res·ur·rect /ˌrɛzəˈrɛkt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[rez-uh-rekt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object) 1. to raise from the dead; bring to life again.
2. to bring back into use, practice, etc.: to resurrect an ancient custom.
–verb (used without object) 3. to rise from the dead.

Hey, anyone want to guess when the last trigger rod length question was?

Jaan
01-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Lastly, please... please, use spell-check before you post. Drag and drop your post into an E-mail, and/or Word program. Unless you really don't know how to spell and/or use punctuation... at least try and use - dictionary.com a bit more. It will allow people to more clearly understand what you're trying to get across.
Google Toolbar has a spell check function for on-line forms, including replies on forums. It's by far the easiest way to spell check a forum post.

warbeak2099
01-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I did not mean we can't learn things from noobs. I meant it is annoying when they make statements like that and it's clear they have no knowledge about the matter whatsoever. What aggravates me is noobs that are all of a sudden experts on paintball technology. I've been playing for over 7 years and I'm still no where near an expert on all things technical. Noobs should not come on here with a sense that they posses some kind of technical prowess. We all know the Don Miguel conversation that I was referencing.

Triangle
01-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Google Toolbar has a spell check function for on-line forms, including replies on forums. It's by far the easiest way to spell check a forum post.

I still think the best way to spell check a forum post to is have a decent education. Hell, I'm an idiot and I can spell and use grammar decently. I am now waiting for this post to be picked apart by someone smarter than I.

Also, I had no idea your name was pronounced that way. Get alot of idiots offline who can't pronounce it?

Triangle
01-18-2007, 05:36 PM
Actually, let me add to the spell check thing.
I've been here a while, and I remember what Pschoballer's posts used to look like.
He's far from being an idiot, but his spelling and what not wasn't half as good as it is now.
Either he's taking his own advice and taking a moment to re-read and correct, or using the same advice to spell check it.
Either way it's easier to understand him now.

Desega
01-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I think that noobs can offer a lot of fresh ideas to the sport and be fun to talk/post with, but I agree that this forum is best if they learn about the subject before they post. If you noobs out there what a place to post random stuff, check out the friendly corner. :D

craltal
01-18-2007, 07:02 PM
I still think the best way to spell check a forum post to is have a decent education. Hell, I'm an idiot and I can spell and use grammar decently. I am now waiting for this post to be picked apart by someone smarter than I.

Also, I had no idea your name was pronounced that way. Get alot of idiots offline who can't pronounce it?

It's not always the level of education that is a factor in someone's intelligence. I find sometimes my fingers move faster than my brain does when t comes to typing (one of the reasons I love Firefox 2.0 is the "on the fly" spell check)

I'll refrain from making comments bashing or glorifying anyone apparent intelligence in a thread that's supposed to be offering advice to everyone. I do think that the forums have been degrading lately due to some people not following common courtesy and posting useless replies and unnecessary scathing remarks in an attempt to elicit a response.

PsychoBaller
01-18-2007, 07:22 PM
Just wondering, but were you named something else previously? join date = 06' ?? I've been here since, well you see it. But rarely posted in the last year or so, with the majority of my posts being pre 04'.

In any event, :headbang: thanks. Someone do a search on me, and find some of my very first posts... :tard:

On another note, I have moderate OCD, and a touch of Perfectionist Complex tied in with that... again :tard: ... can be such a nuisance. Used to work as a Quality Control Super at a couple of office related jobs.

-baller
(no longer "da")

Triangle
01-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Just wondering, but were you named something else previously? join date = 06' ?? I've been here since, well you see it. Rarely posted in the last year or so, with the majority of my posts being pre 04'.

I was a member prior to the boards crashing, and everyone having to re-register. I then finally reegistered in 02'.

Miscue
01-20-2007, 07:33 PM
I was a member prior to the boards crashing, and everyone having to re-register. I then finally reegistered in 02'.

And now I know who you are. Banned.

Lenny
01-20-2007, 08:36 PM
Aww... That's sad...

thecavemankevin
01-23-2007, 08:59 AM

oh noez, triangles/derrekz/AM's/stawhats secret is out

PsychoBaller
01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Below are a couple of additions to the original post:

If you don't like AO... how it's changed over the years and what it is now, then the answer is simple - Go Somewhere Else.

Posting on this particular forum, or anywhere on the Internet for that matter, is an OPTIONAL thing. If all you're going to do while here, is bash the place, take your whining over to some other, lesser forum, and let off some steam.

While I agree to some extent, that AO is not entirely what it used to be, it IS still one of the better forums on the net.

-baller

Head knight of Ni
01-30-2007, 12:53 PM
oh noez, triangles/derrekz/AM's/stawhats secret is out

He will just come back as a Rhombus. :sleeping:

PsychoBaller
03-14-2007, 10:23 PM
Made this thread to help some people's on this here internet... :rolleyes:

Seems things have gotten worse over last couple months though... strange... :tard:

Beemer
03-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Made this thread to help some people's on this here internet... :rolleyes:

Seems things have gotten worse over last couple months though... strange... :tard:

Ok show me then. Or tell me how things have got worse. You know you can report a post, that helps us a lot.? We cant possibly read every post in every forum on this board.

You started this thread 1-17-07. I got Mod status 2-1-07, it is now 3-15-07 and since then I couldnt even tell you how many posts I have edited for one reason or another and or gave warnings. Not to mention some posts that just dissapeared, plus PMs and e-mails.

So should we just be more free with the bans or what.

Everytime I see these ********* it is cussing or activating the filter. Why would you type those? Right? Should the post be dumped a warning issued or a ban??????????? Rules are rules.

I for one can say that in all of my posts you wont see any of these *******.

What about name calling??? Same thing should we just dump it or?

The community is only as strong as the weakest link. How do you make the weak link and community stronger?

Heres one for ya. I dumped this post in a thread, "This thread is stupid." Thats what he thought but he gave no reason or explanation for said thought. It was in fact a useless and STUPID post. Guess what? That poster came back made another post. "My post got deleted, I dont believe it. I'll say it again this thread is stupid" :tard: I should go find it and ban him. Come to think of it that wont happen again.

If you see these *********** in your post fix it. you have cussed and or activated the filter.
If I see it, it will get dumped and or a ban. This IS AO. Have Fun Be Cool and post with some Class and Style.

End

Peace Out.

Pneumagger
03-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Ok show me then. Or tell me how things have got worse. You know you can report a post, that helps us a lot.? We cant possibly read every post in every forum on this board.

You started this thread 1-17-07. I got Mod status 2-1-07, it is now 3-15-07 and since then I couldnt even tell you how many posts I have edited for one reason or another and or gave warnings. Not to mention some posts that just dissapeared, plus PMs and e-mails.

So should we just be more free with the bans or what.

Everytime I see these ********* it is cussing or activating the filter. Why would you type those? Right? Should the post be dumped a warning issued or a ban??????????? Rules are rules.

I for one can say that in all of my posts you wont see any of these *******.

What about name calling??? Same thing should we just dump it or?

The community is only as strong as the weakest link. How do you make the weak link and community stronger?

Heres one for ya. I dumped this post in a thread, "This thread is stupid." Thats what he thought but he gave no reason or explanation for said thought. It was in fact a useless and STUPID post. Guess what? That poster came back made another post. "My post got deleted, I dont believe it. I'll say it again this thread is stupid" :tard: I should go find it and ban him. Come to think of it that wont happen again.

If you see these *********** in your post fix it. you have cussed and or activated the filter.
If I see it, it will get dumped and or a ban. This IS AO. Have Fun Be Cool and post with some Class and Style.

End

Peace Out.
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g45/jrm33/NoWai.jpg

I love asterisks!

[on topic] Anyways, I find this thread thread helpful [/on topic]

PsychoBaller
03-16-2007, 12:44 AM
Beemer: I certainly hope you didn't take my last post to be an attack or anything, as it was not it any way. All I meant is that more recent, general postings, seem to be that of incoherent babble, rather than your take on them being levels of crudeness. As you mentioned, there is no way to fully calculate a Forum's overall good-bad ratio... Nonetheless, some people should just stay off the internet altogether.

Personally, I would be a horrible Mod, as I would rule with an iron fist of logic, justice, and vengeance at times :shooting: . There would probably be 3 members left after I was done banning das ignoramus's (ignorami*, :rolleyes: ), or it would be me talking to myself ;) , as usual.

Beemer
03-16-2007, 12:54 AM
I love asterisks!

[on topic] Anyways, I find this thread thread helpful [/on topic]

Hmmm I see what you did there. Oh a wise guy huh? :spit_take

Beemer
03-16-2007, 01:24 AM
Beemer: I certainly hope you didn't take my last post to be an attack or anything, as it was not it any way. All I meant is that more recent, general postings, seem to be that of incoherent babble, rather than your take on them being levels of crudeness. As you mentioned, there is no way to fully calculate a Forum's overall good-bad ratio... Nonetheless, some people should just stay off the internet altogether.

Personally, I would be a horrible Mod, as I would rule with an iron fist of logic, justice, and vengeance at times :shooting: . There would probably be 3 members left after I was done banning das ignoramus's (ignorami*, :rolleyes: ), or it would be me talking to myself ;) , as usual.

No I did not.[take it as an attack] But when you are on the other side you cant have tunnel vision either. I can see my rep as a mod going south soon. Just dump the post or BAN Em. :ninja:

Heres another one. "Doh do a search dude". I see that and its gone. If you cant or dont want to help so be it, then dont even post.

On the incoherent stuff I will say this. If the student fails to learn, who has failed? The teacher or the student?

Peace Out.

PsychoBaller
03-16-2007, 01:41 AM
If the student fails to learn, who has failed? The teacher or the student?

That's an awesome quote right there :cool: .

There are very few teachers left on AO these days..... (myself included... excluded... included... uh, something or other, just trying to stir up the AO embers a little, haha ;) )

Beemer
03-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Battling Retardopostification, one post at a time.

ß?µ£ §mµ®ƒ
03-16-2007, 02:17 AM
I guess I've copy quoted and snitched before to make our forum cleaner and better :ninja:
There are definitely kids that are looking to just screw around and make it hell for you guys.

Beemer
03-16-2007, 02:30 AM
I guess I've copy quoted and snitched before to make our forum cleaner and better :ninja:
There are definitely kids that are looking to just screw around and make it hell for you guys.

By all means dont stop. We are a self policing community. As I asked before how do you make the weak link stronger. I never hesitated to report a post, then let the Mods make the call.

Peace Out