PDA

View Full Version : gm/chev colorado/canyon

FARMER00
01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
ok so im turning 16 within the year and getting my licence. I was planning on getting an 4x4 f150 with the 302 but because of gas prices and stuff im beginning to think against it.
I have always been ford for my whole life same with my family. I WILL NOT GO DODGE even if someone gave me one free. anyways, i want a mid sized truck. i dont like the ranger and dakota and the s10 is just a POS so im left looking at the colorado/canyon. i live on a farm and i need somthing that i can use on it and wont fall apart. i will be using it mostly to transport an ATV or snowmobile and picking up some machinery once in a while. it needs power and needs to have the strength to carry these things. I dont think i need to worry power wise with the I5 in it but what is the towing capisity and load capasities for it? and what are the dimensions of the box?

thanks, oh and how long are these motors good for? (some gm are good for like 400,000 and some are done after 250,000)

thanks

skife
01-23-2007, 11:06 PM
you definatally need a full size truck

the canyon/colorado is the S10's replacement.

Go with a Zr2 s10 (its a half ton)
or a fullsize, thats pretty much your only options for hauling stuff.

maxama10
01-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I have a jeep and love it but if I were to get a truck I would deffinently go for a Toyota truck one of the older ones before the T-100's etc.. Those little V6's are rock solid and go forever, they trucks are also pretty durable and the fairly common so if you brake something on the farm it shouldnt be hard to find a part out of another truck. If I had the money to license and insure it I'd deffinently by one of these to dink around in. I have several friend with them and they all love em. I do believe they are also pretty easy to work on also. If you dont want something that old then get a T-100 or an older tacoma.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hi-Lux

The Toyota Hilux has gained a reputation for exceptional sturdiness and reliability, even during sustained heavy use. This was only compounded when on the third series (programme five) of the revamped BBC motoring show Top Gear, a 1988 Toyota Hilux with 190,000 miles on the clock, was subjected to a number of extraordinary survival tests, which included crashing it into a large tree, tying it up to a jetty to be washed out to sea by the incoming tide, driving it down Christmas steps in the centre of Bristol, randomly ramming it into buildings in Bristol, dropping a caravan on it, setting the cabin on fire, and placing it at the top of a 240-foot block of flats that was subsequently destroyed by a controlled demolition. Amazingly, although it was now suffering from severe structural damage (there was already significant body corrosion when it was purchased), the truck was still running after being repaired only with typical tools and equipment that would be found in a car's toolbox, such as spanners, motor oil, and a monkey wrench. It currently resides as one of the background decorations in the newly revamped Top Gear Studio from Season 8.
In the 2006 series (Season 8, Episode 3), a Hilux was chosen by Jeremy Clarkson when tasked with creating an amphibious vehicle. This was almost a complete success, the Toyota easily travelling several miles by road and two miles across open water before capsizing during a quick turn. Once recovered, though, the truck would no longer start, to the surprise of the presenters.
Outside television, these vehicles have been known to exceed 300,000 miles with regular maintenance.

The most important part
Outside television, these vehicles have been known to exceed 300,000 miles with regular maintenance.

Not to mention you will save a load of money!

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/library/uc/ucgraphics/Derek_Towne_000_0427THUMB.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/743000-743999/743659_4.jpg

FARMER00
01-23-2007, 11:28 PM
I have a jeep and love it but if I were to get a truck I would deffinently go for a Toyota truck one of the older ones before the T-100's etc.. Those little V6's are rock solid and go forever, they trucks are also pretty durable and the fairly common so if you brake something on the farm it shouldnt be hard to find a part out of another truck. If I had the money to license and insure it I'd deffinently by one of these to dink around in. I have several friend with them and they all love em. I do believe they are also pretty easy to work on also. If you dont want something that old then get a T-100 or an older tacoma.

nope nothing forigen for me sorry, nothing to do with racism but i just wont drive a toyota

maxama10
01-23-2007, 11:44 PM
stubborn fool :p

Well thats alright nothing wrong with it...

Goodluck
-Max

SpecialBlend2786
01-24-2007, 12:25 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Hi-Lux

The most important part

Not to mention you will save a load of money!

http://4wheeldrive.about.com/library/uc/ucgraphics/Derek_Towne_000_0427THUMB.jpg
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/743000-743999/743659_4.jpg

Hilux's are ALL OVER in Australia and the Middle East, cool trucks

Dubstar112
01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
Not buying a vehicle based on brand loyalty or demestic preference seems just plain ignorant to me.

I would totally suggest even a newer Tacoma in any configuration. However myself I drive k1500 ext cab and Im quite happy with it when Im not putting gas in the tank. The big ol 350 makes a lot of power that I dont use constantly. Kind of excessive in everyday life. But its there when I need it. The mini trucks are worthless for doing any sort of towing, but I dont know how important that is for you. I just prefer fullsize trucks, however a newer import is definatley on my to have list in the near future.

We have over 350k miles on our chevy 3500's at work. My dad had over 500,000l on an 88 halfton short box. It all depends on how you maintain your vehicle.

skife
01-24-2007, 12:38 AM
Not buying a vehicle based on brand loyalty or demestic preference seems just plain ignorant to me.

I would totally suggest even a newer Tacoma in any configuration. However myself I drive k1500 ext cab and Im quite happy with it when Im not putting gas in the tank. The big ol 350 makes a lot of power that I dont use constantly. Kind of excessive in everyday life. But its there when I need it. The mini trucks are worthless for doing any sort of towing, but I dont know how important that is for you. I just prefer fullsize trucks, however a newer import is definatley on my to have list in the near future.

We have over 350k miles on our chevy 3500's at work. My dad had over 500,000l on an 88 halfton short box. It all depends on how you maintain your vehicle.

350 is a small block and tiny compared to the 502 that they put into some of the avalances

Dubstar112
01-24-2007, 01:17 AM
350 is a small block and tiny compared to the 502 that they put into some of the avalances

Oh really.. didnt know that.

When I say big ol im refering to size 350 which is a large motor and ol being the poor fuel injection system that doesnt give good performance. Something in an avalanche is multiport, or atleast a level above TBI. They dont put a 502 in a halfton avalanche. thats available in the 3/4 and hd versions. Actually, they dont even offer the 8.1 in that truck any more. I doubt hes looking at any thing heavy duty considering hes looking at a mini truck now.

The colorado / canyon i5 is a very nice option. I know a couple people with this and they say it performs great. Excellent mileage, and they use the bed quite a bit. So if you're not doing any heavy towing, theres nothing wrong with that truck.

devildog
01-24-2007, 01:20 AM
i know you said you dont like them, but dodge is the only quality american truck left, and thats only cause its owned by daimler. i know, it pisses me off too.

if you want a super good quality truck, and with great power and still descent milage, i hate to say it but check out the 04 and up toyota tundra with the v8. i think its a 4.8, and has great power from it. youll still hit upwards of 20 mpg. all the american garbage falls apart. small stuff like radio knobs and rear view mirror, but when you pay 30k for a truck that stuff shouldnt break.

if youre die hard american, go dodge

Lohman446
01-24-2007, 06:54 AM
The 5.3 (Silverado / Sierrra) is reported by actual drivers to get 16-18 MPG and comes in a "real" truck. When farmers say "haul some machinery" the idea of anything less than a 3/4 truck worries me, because I have seen what most farmers define as a light load.

Bear_Claw
01-24-2007, 08:28 AM
For simple medium hauling/towing duty find pretty mutch any year GMC 1/2 ton 2wd or 4wd with a 4.3 V 6 and a 5 speed. IT will be a reliable rig that will still see averages around 20mpg on a 2wd model. Hell get a 305 or a new 4.8L powered truck milages will be near the same. Unless you can run a four banger milage is gona a suck no matter what ya get.

Mid duty and light duty trucks are a wast unless your conserned about driving such large vehicals. Fuel milage is usally within 1-2mpg of the small v8 full size trucks but are not narly as usefull.

Heres a list of pickups my family or myself have owned within the last 5 years with average fuel milages from them in mixed driveing

1990 F150 2wd 5.0L v8 auto 16mpg (ALWAYS loaded with a good 500lbs of tools and electrical equipment) my Dads

1999 Ford Ranger 2wd 3.0L V6 auto 19mpg Mine

1997 Dodge Dakota 2wd 3.9 V6 auto 18mpg Brothers

2001 Dodge Dakota 2wd 3.9 v6 manule 19mpg Brothers

2000 Ford Explorer 4x4 4.0L v6 auto 17mpg Dads

1977 Dodge Tradsmann 200 2wd 318ci (5.2L) V8 auto 14mpg Mine/Brothers (this was a full dresser van though) VERY HEAVY

1994 Ford F250 2wd 7.3L V8 turbo Diesel auto 18mpg Mine (i really miss that truck)

1996 Ford Ranger 4x4 3.0L v6 auto 18mpg Mine

Lohman446
01-24-2007, 08:45 AM
Good point, you can generally buy a V6 1/2 ton Chevy for less than an S10 and mileage is going to be very similar. Especially if you are buying a real truck (2 door, long box, not a lot of options).

FARMER00
01-24-2007, 04:08 PM
i know you said you dont like them, but dodge is the only quality american truck left, and thats only cause its owned by daimler. i know, it pisses me off too.

if you want a super good quality truck, and with great power and still descent milage, i hate to say it but check out the 04 and up toyota tundra with the v8. i think its a 4.8, and has great power from it. youll still hit upwards of 20 mpg. all the american garbage falls apart. small stuff like radio knobs and rear view mirror, but when you pay 30k for a truck that stuff shouldnt break.

i have never seen a dodge go past 250,000mil (seriously) and i dont think that they rest of a dodge truck will last much past that. my uncle had a few (4 i think) cause he got them cheap on deals and he bent every frame plowing but never bent his f250 frams

ford and chev ftw

Lohman446
01-24-2007, 04:29 PM

Your opinions are based on?

You know that Dodge trucks are about 40% assembled south of the border and are assembled from rolling chassis right?

Not to mention your call on quality is well... poor. I question what you base those opinions on.

skife
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
your only going to get another 1-2 miles to the gallon on a 4.3 over a 350...

just go with a half ton truck with a v8 if you just plan on hauling a snomobile or quad around

grEnAlEins
01-24-2007, 06:45 PM
My uncle likes his colorado... It is a nice truck IMO; which, quite frankly, should not be valued :D

PyRo
01-24-2007, 11:25 PM
Hell get a 305 or a new 4.8L powered truck milages will be near the same. Unless you can run a four banger milage is gona a suck no matter what ya get.
My 4x4 K2500 305 5spd is getting about 11mpg city mileage right now. It does have a plow frame/pump, a bunch of tools, and about 300lbs of dump bed in the bed when did that calculation though. It was getting around 13.4 consistently before I stuck bigger tires on it. The motor is on its way though and I don't think the knock sensor is functioning that may have an impact. With the stock tires on there it could do some towing. With the slightly bigger ones I don't think I could pull much without smoking the clutch.

My friend had an 86 (fuel injected) 4.3l Custom Deluxe, 2wd, I think it was a half ton, with a 3spd manual tranny. He was getting 15.5 on the highway.

Same friend has a 4x4 2500 series Dodge with a 360 5spd on 33s with 4.10 or so gears that's getting about 9mpg unloaded.

WickeDKlowN
01-24-2007, 11:30 PM
Get an F150 with a 4.9 I6. Those things are bulletproof.

Lohman446
01-25-2007, 06:54 AM
with 4.10 or so gears .

So often forgotten, and so important in mileage.

MANN
01-25-2007, 12:37 PM
i have never seen a dodge go past 250,000mil (seriously) and i dont think that they rest of a dodge truck will last much past that.

hmmm. you dont get off the farm often do you. (no offense) :p

My lil bro, father, and grandfather all have diff size dodge trucks, and all are high on miles. Given 2 are diesels (which is actually cummins) may make a little difference, but all three trucks have been through hell and back. Dad's made it through 4 teenage drivers, and is now in Alaska (he moved).

As for Chevy trucks I cant say anything bad about them. My blazer has ~250k on it, and is still going strong. I have not had to do any major work on it. Ie something I could not do myself in a day.

Regardless of what you choose. Do regular maintance on it, and it will last. If I were putting my money in a new truck I would buy a Chevy full size.

Muzikman
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
nope nothing forigen for me sorry, nothing to do with racism but i just wont drive a toyota

You know, I thought the same thing for years, then I realized, most of these "foreign" are built in the US and so are most of their parts. The same can't be said for Chevy or Ford.

I personally would go with a Nissan Frontier( (05 or newer).

The i5 is a dog of an engine...WAY under powered.

Ole Unka Phil
01-25-2007, 02:25 PM
I'm seeing you in a Yugo...

Dubstar112
01-25-2007, 03:54 PM
Muzik, for the same reason I recomended Toyota. More parts from a toyota truck are built here than in my full size chev. Sad, but thats the way it is. Anyone who believes one brand is superior to another is feeding themselves a spoon full of bullcrap. Its nothing but an argument. Brand name aside, drive 10 different trucks and pick one you like.

behemoth
01-25-2007, 04:26 PM
You know, I thought the same thing for years, then I realized, most of these "foreign" are built in the US and so are most of their parts. The same can't be said for Chevy or Ford.

I personally would go with a Nissan Frontier( (05 or newer).

The i5 is a dog of an engine...WAY under powered.

It is a dog of an engine....

My dads colorado has no power...

maxama10
01-25-2007, 09:18 PM
They seriously make a straight five? They put bigger engines in mini-vans...

/weak......

Edit: sure enough

Cheverolet Colorado:
2004–2006 2.8 L (173 in³) LK5 I4 175 hp (130 kW) 185 ft·lbf (251 N·m)
2007 2.9 L (176 in³) LLV I4 185 hp (138 kW) 195 ft·lbf (263 N·m)
2004–2006 3.5 L (214 in³) L52 I5 220 hp (164 kW) 225 ft·lbf (305 N·m)
2007 3.7 L (225 in³) LLR I5 242 hp (180 kW) 242 ft·lbf (327 N·m)

Ford Freestar:
4.2 L offers a power of 201 hp (150 kW) at 4,250 rpm and 263 ft?lbf (357 N?m) of torque at 3650 RPM.

Toyota Sienna:
Engine: 3.5 L DOHC 24-valve dual VVT-i V6
Output: 266 hp (160 kW) at 5600 RPM and 247 ft·lbf (301 N·m) at 4700 RPM (SAE Net)

MaD_SaM
01-26-2007, 11:59 AM
http://media1.break.com/dnet/media/2007/1/jan24gal07.jpg

I saw this picture and this thread came to mind!

Sorry!