PDA

View Full Version : Paintball isn't dangerous enough, lets up it a notch or two (AKA skyball)

Mescalito
01-25-2007, 01:07 AM
I never thought that I would EVER scoff at A thread I found on Dropzone.com (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2589118;search_string=paintball;#2 589118), but yeah.... are we THAT bored?!?

Pneumagger
01-25-2007, 01:57 AM
I like the one guy that says a paintball cylinder might explode at high altitude. :rofl:

I wonder if he knows that you only lose a few psi at altitude. So the relative gauge pressure change in the 4500 psi tank is like 3psi. Man, I'm scared about that extra 3 psi :(

/hold me derek :cry:

Zneaky
01-25-2007, 02:27 AM
If the gun shoots the ball at 300 fps. And the guy the gun and the ball are falling at X fps. Where would the ball go? Would the "you going down" and the "wind going up" totally through off the trojectory of the ball?

I would like to see video to.

Z

buzzboy
01-25-2007, 08:59 AM
Depending if you are shooting before or after the chute opens there might be some difficulties. Falling at 120 would really throw off the aim and if one is shooting down the ball would be hitting very slow. Then again the person shooting up would be shooting really hot.

This would be interesting. I want to see somebody try this.

Triangle
01-25-2007, 09:07 AM
I like the one guy that says a paintball cylinder might explode at high altitude. :rofl:

I wonder if he knows that you only lose a few psi at altitude. So the relative gauge pressure change in the 4500 psi tank is like 3psi. Man, I'm scared about that extra 3 psi :(

/hold me derek :cry:

It's ok Joe.
It's ok.

Arstron
01-25-2007, 10:10 AM
I would hate to be on the ground under the guys shooting paintballs. I imagine even a paintball would pickup quiet a bit of speed from that high of an altitude.

Chronobreak
01-25-2007, 11:27 AM
il admit ive had thoughts of "skyball" before

CrimsonGhost
01-25-2007, 12:55 PM
I would hate to be on the ground under the guys shooting paintballs. I imagine even a paintball would pickup quiet a bit of speed from that high of an altitude.

No it hits critical/terminal velocity ( More or less...the fastest speed ANY body will fall under earths gravity...that was the best description I could come up with that did NOT use alot of math....but if you like that kind of thing....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity) at one point the ball will stop accel. and just start to fall, the only force acting upon it would be gravity. The MAX speed a skydiver can hit with arms and legs tucked in is about 200mph... with a few variations on the equipment and such you COULD go faster but...not the point of falling paintballs being so fast they hurt someone ,break concrete...etc.

cyrus-the-virus
01-25-2007, 02:11 PM
No it hits critical/terminal velocity ( More or less...the fastest speed ANY body will fall under earths gravity...that was the best description I could come up with that did NOT use alot of math....but if you like that kind of thing....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity) at one point the ball will stop accel. and just start to fall, the only force acting upon it would be gravity. The MAX speed a skydiver can hit with arms and legs tucked in is about 200mph... with a few variations on the equipment and such you COULD go faster but...not the point of falling paintballs being so fast they hurt someone ,break concrete...etc.

I wish I could break concrete with a paintball.....that would be badarse.

athomas
01-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Depending if you are shooting before or after the chute opens there might be some difficulties. Falling at 120 would really throw off the aim and if one is shooting down the ball would be hitting very slow. Then again the person shooting up would be shooting really hot.

This would be interesting. I want to see somebody try this.If you are shooting down, the combined initial velocity would be the gun fps plus your fps. If you are shooting up, then the velocity would be gun fps minus your fps. After the ball exits the barrel, then gravity and friction takes over. If the ball is traveling down faster than terminal velocity for its shape, it will slow down to its terminal velocity due to friction. If the ball is traveling up, it will slow due to gravity until it reaches zero velocity and then start its downward acceleration.

Firing at someone at the same altitude as you would be interesting. If you both were free falling at your maximum velocity, then theoretically if you shot a paintball at someone, it would appear to travel perfectly horizontally towards that person due to the fact that it could not accelerate towards the ground as it too would be at maximum velocity.

jenarelJAM
01-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Wrong.

Terminal velocity is the speed at which the force exerted on a particle(or body) due to gravity is equal to but opposite in direction to the force of air resistance, and therefore acceleration will be zero and velocity will remain constant. This will be different for every body.

If you've ever seen that educational movie where the guy drops a feather and a rock, and the rock drops, and the feather falls slowly, that's why.
----------------
Edit: ignore the equations I did. Air resistance is based on a different and much more complicated formula.

CrimsonGhost
01-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Wrong.

Terminal velocity is the speed at which the force exerted on a particle(or body) due to gravity is equal to but opposite in direction to the force of air resistance, and therefore acceleration will be zero and velocity will remain constant. This will be different for every body.

If you've ever seen that educational movie where the guy drops a feather and a rock, and the rock drops, and the feather falls slowly, that's why.
----------------
Edit: ignore the equations I did. Air resistance is based on a different and much more complicated formula.

I was more stating that there is only so fast an object will fall(The text I quoted was saying he would HATE to be under that paint when it fell...Leading me to take it HE thought the paint kept accel.... see Myth Busters Coin off the Empire state building)...if a paintball is no longer accel. it will eventualy fall to earth ....with gravity and its weight,drag (some on a ball but not bad) being the only issues.... I wasnt saying anything else.
I know what you were saying....I think I MAY have said what I meant wrong.

Food for thought....in theory you could shoot a ball( sideways or up angled ), fold up and catch said ball and refire it...hehe THAT would be cool....or you could get hit by your own paint.

:cheers:

jenarelJAM
01-25-2007, 07:04 PM
gotcha