PDA

View Full Version : Steak Seasoning..

CKY_Alliance
01-28-2007, 05:54 PM
Ok so everytime i ask my parents what they are going to cook for dinner and i get the response "steak" I cringe..ok well not really..steak is good but im deffinetley not estatic to hear that that's what they are cooking..mainly because it's so boring. So i find out like 10 minutes before they are going to cook it and i start to look for seasoning reciepes, usually i don't find a good simple one in time and its too late..

so I ask you AO, what do you season your steak with? And what kind of flavor does it give the steak?

Looking for something different, I get so tired of the same ol'stuff....

Hot and Spicy seasonings are a plus.

acecl22
01-28-2007, 05:58 PM
try marinading it, im not much of a cook so i dont know what you use but it makes it nice and tender and adds alot of flavor

behemoth
01-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Let the steaks marinate in Italian dressing all day.

robnix
01-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Ok so everytime i ask my parents what they are going to cook for dinner and i get the response "steak" I cringe..ok well not really..steak is good but im deffinetley not estatic to hear that that's what they are cooking..mainly because it's so boring. So i find out like 10 minutes before they are going to cook it and i start to look for seasoning reciepes, usually i don't find a good simple one in time and its too late..

so I ask you AO, what do you season your steak with? And what kind of flavor does it give the steak?

Looking for something different, I get so tired of the same ol'stuff....

Hot and Spicy seasonings are a plus.

<RANT>Most people don't salt properly and have poorly trained taste buds, especially if they eat a lot of prepackaged or processes foods. so the food they cook ends up either bland or over seasoned. </RANT>

Proper seasoning is all that's really necessary for a great steak. If you want spicy though, just do this - Salt, pepper, chili powder.

Head knight of Ni
01-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Don't disrespect the beef. It does not need seasoning and should never be served past medium. Rare-Mrare (male) Mrare-Medium (female) *generally

robnix
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Don't disrespect the beef. It does not need seasoning and should never be served past medium. Rare-Mrare (male) Mrare-Medium (female) *generally

Agreed, salt and pepper is all you really need.

behemoth
01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Agreed, salt and pepper is all you really need.

I like mine cooked medium, And i dont put anything on it.

Steaksauce is ONLY used when the cook COMPLETELY BUTCHERS THE STEAK. Otherwise, its sacrilege.

Now, Prime rib? Au Jus.

bentothejam1n
01-28-2007, 06:15 PM
move to kansas city or texas...
or
soak hickory or a fruit tree type wood in some water and throw that on the coals

Head knight of Ni
01-28-2007, 06:19 PM

Steaksauce is ONLY used when the cook COMPLETELY BUTCHERS THE STEAK. Otherwise, its sacrilege.

Now, Prime rib? Au Jus.

Oh, god yes, I chug Au jus. I really do drink the Au jus, but I also used to chug maple syrup. :tard:

Pneumagger
01-28-2007, 07:07 PM
I just forgo the meat and eat peoples souls :argh:

/but a properly cooked steak should only need salt/pepper (preferably cracked pepper)

iambored
01-28-2007, 07:12 PM
That's sig worthy

MANN
01-28-2007, 07:16 PM
but a properly cooked steak should only need salt/pepper (preferably cracked pepper)

agreed

robnix
01-28-2007, 07:42 PM

/but a properly cooked steak should only need salt/pepper (preferably cracked pepper)

QFT, you may as well use sawdust if you use pre ground pepper. Every kitchen needs a good pepper mill.

AZ_09
01-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Steaksauce is ONLY used when the cook COMPLETELY BUTCHERS THE STEAK.

I put ketchup on everything, including steak, and i pour the cajun powder on my steak, adds a nice little touch

behemoth
01-28-2007, 08:00 PM
I put ketchup on everything, including steak, and i pour the cajun powder on my steak, adds a nice little touch

Okay, I put ketchup on Fries, Eggs, Hashbrowns, Hamburgers and Hotdogs.

But Steak?

Thts just... wrong....

grEnAlEins
01-28-2007, 08:10 PM
Okay, I put ketchup on Fries, Eggs, Hashbrowns, Hamburgers and Hotdogs.

But Steak?

Thts just... wrong....
:cheers:
As I believe you said... do not touch it. Taste the meat, you'll find it quite delicious. Just remember:
Heat-low
Cook-slow

SpecialBlend2786
01-28-2007, 08:16 PM
I also used to chug maple syrup. :tard:

DOO EEET

Army
01-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Marinade in beer, garlic powder (or fresh crushed), and pepper for at least 4 hours. Do not add any salt until it is on the grill.

Sear both sides, then put the fire on low/medium. When there is a touch of pink left, remove and enjoy.

Do this for any meat except fish.

behemoth
01-28-2007, 08:34 PM
Marinade in beer, garlic powder (or fresh crushed), and pepper for at least 4 hours. Do not add any salt until it is on the grill.

Sear both sides, then put the fire on low/medium. When there is a touch of pink left, remove and enjoy.

What kinda brew does Army recommend?

(fish you gril in tinfoil with lemonpepper and such mmm.)

bentothejam1n
01-28-2007, 08:44 PM

meh gas grills = bad
but another note on soaking things in beer. Brats are excellent when boiled in beer

CKY_Alliance
01-28-2007, 09:05 PM
Ye army, what type of beer do you reccomend...we put some beer on the steaks tonight but they didn't marinade in it..but it did change the flavor which was nice

Ye we use gas...

and always medium-rare..i can live with medium, but anything over that just isn't worth eating.

Lenny
01-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Beer... Oh God...

I haven't been drunk in WAY too long...

Army
01-28-2007, 10:58 PM
Many of you stuck in some cities, have no choice but gas. Even with charcoal though, you can regulate the distance from the fire. I have a drum type BBQ, that allows me to build a hot fire, but keep the meat away from direct flame or grease flares.

I sear it over the coals, then move it away until done.

I prefer Coors at all times, but any beer will do except an Ale. Too heavy.

bentothejam1n
01-28-2007, 11:25 PM
Many of you stuck in some cities, have no choice but gas. Even with charcoal though, you can regulate the distance from the fire. I have a drum type BBQ, that allows me to build a hot fire, but keep the meat away from direct flame or grease flares.

I sear it over the coals, then move it away until done.

I prefer Coors at all times, but any beer will do except an Ale. Too heavy.
woah you scared me. i thought you were one of the "gas people"

jenarelJAM
01-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Grilled onions...

skife
01-29-2007, 03:59 AM
some of those sound really good.

we've done the hickory chips on the coals and it was good.

but my favorite is venisen(sp?) steak cooked with Hungry howies Cajun crust seasoning on top.

behemoth
01-29-2007, 09:18 AM
some of those sound really good.

we've done the hickory chips on the coals and it was good.

but my favorite is venisen(sp?) steak cooked with Hungry howies Cajun crust seasoning on top.

Try it with some hobo-wine.

skife
01-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Try it with some hobo-wine.

about 2 days left.

PyRo
01-29-2007, 11:52 AM
The best steak I ever had we cooked in a wood fire on a flat rock. A little salt and pepper on the steak, then poured beer on the rock just before putting the steak on, put a little on the steaks while they were cooking, and again on the rock when they got flipped. Took them off when they were about medium rare. I haven't tried to do it again yet because I probably can't.
Normally though I just use a good piece of meat with salt and pepper on a gas grill. They still turn out better than just about anything you get anywhere but a good steakhouse. I'll give the marinading in beer and garlic a shot though.

Ole Unka Phil
01-29-2007, 09:15 PM
Ya gotta start with a good Steak or all is lost. Hard to find a real good Steak at most places you might shop. Seek out the specialty grocery's and those that supply finer Resturants. They got em.

Then all ya need is a REALY hot fire. Its all about the temp. Fast and furious. Never more than Medium rare. Makes no difference the sorce. In fact its hard to build a hot enough fire out of charcoal to do it. Gas can do it... if there are enough burners. You really need close to 700 degrees. More is better.

Then about a 10 minute sit time after to let the juices go back to the center. Sea Salt and Fresh cracked black pepper.

But it is all about the Steak quality and Grill temperature.

rkjunior303
01-29-2007, 09:23 PM
marinade in a doublebock beer for 24 hours in an airtight container. MMM.

billybob_81067
01-29-2007, 10:46 PM
salt and pepper the hell out of it and then slap it on the grill. Don't let it cook too long or else you'll kill it. Then enjoy the juicy awesome taste of beef...

/had T-bones for lunch today.
//was about 34 degrees outside and I was standing there at the grill with no coat on grillin away.
///have a freezer full of steaks and other yummy beef products. (all home grown too) :D

zondo
01-29-2007, 11:26 PM
Steak Seasonings:
1) For the purist, (as stated by many) salt & pepper (rub some oil on it to help keep it moist)
2) Montreal Steak Seasoning
3) Look up Steak Au Poivre, a little involved but the sauce is great!

Toppings:
1) Onions
2) Mushrooms
3) Lately I've been into Blue Cheese

Now, if it's prime rib... my vote is for horseradish (alone or mix a little in sour cream in it to taste) :headbang:

MicroMiniMe
01-30-2007, 11:05 AM
Jerk it.
Marinade a few hours in:
honey
cayenne pepper
fresh pineapple

pat dry, get fire hot, rub sides with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper.

Anything done to a T bone or prime rib other than salt and pepper is grounds for castration.

Altimas
01-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Jerk it.
Marinade a few hours in:
honey
cayenne pepper
fresh pineapple

pat dry, get fire hot, rub sides with olive oil, lightly salt and pepper.

Anything done to a T bone or prime rib other than salt and pepper is grounds for castration.

Alot of verbs used in the above post that should prolly not be used when talking about Meat in general...

grEnAlEins
01-30-2007, 11:32 AM
Alot of verbs used in the above post that should prolly not be used when talking about Meat in general...
I was just about to post an edited quote... but then it dawned on me that that would be in bad taste. You stoled my joked :( :p

PumpPlayer
01-30-2007, 11:51 AM
My go-to steak seasoning is:

Lawry's seasoning salt
Fresh-ground black pepper
Dried, crushed chives (go light on this)

That's it.
Sprinkle, rub lightly and put directly onto the grill immediately. Don't give the salt time to soak into the meat. Put the steaks directly over the flame or as high of heat as you can get. Once the outside is seared, flip it over and repeat. Move to medium/low heat and cook until done. Done means medium-rare for me, medium for my girl. I don't understand why women need their beef just a little bit more done than men but I find it to be almost universally true.

The salting and searing locks the juices inside so that the meat stays oh-so awesomely tender. Do not cut, press or puncture the meat for any reason until it's done and then only once just to check. A thermometer is preferred to a knife. Internal temp of about 140-150*F will give you mrare to med.

Her parents, though, won't eat anything less than well done. If that meat has any color in it at all they freak out... I feel sorry for them.

Feel free to ammend the above mixture with:
* Kosher salt instead of a seasoning salt for very good cuts of steak
* Add in a little Old Bay for not-so-great cuts
* Use a little chili or cayenne powder to spice things up
* Garlic, capers and lemon for a little more flavor - goes great with pasta as a side
* Small dab on garlic butter on top in the last minute of cooking
* Wrap the steaks in bacon
* Cut seasoned, seared steak into strips, mix with peppers and onions and roll up in a corn husk. Finish cooking on grill. Don't eat the husk. :rolleyes:
* In saucepan, add a dollop of butter, melt it and brown slices of button mushrooms. Add garlic wedges, chopped leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook on low heat until leeks are soft and the garlic has released all oils. Squeeze and remove garlic wedges (with a spoon, they're hot). Stir well and add a splash of rye whiskey. Top steaks with this mixture in final minute of cooking. If you prefer a thicker topping, add a small bit of brown sugar. Also works GREAT on burgers with a slice of Monterey Jack or Swiss on top.

billybob_81067
01-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Oh and I forgot to add that one of the easiest and best things ever that goes with steak is a baked onion,

Cut the top and bottom off of an onion,
Peel off the skin and an extra layer so you have all good onion left
Put it in a bowl with saran wrap on top and microwave on high for about 5 minutes
When it's done take it out and cut it in half
Lay it cut side up and put a slab of butter on each half so it will melt in between the layers
Salt and pepper the heck out of it
Enjoy it and sop up any butter that runs out of it with the steak you're eating.

:D

JimmyBeam
01-30-2007, 02:46 PM
keep it simple.....

Worcheshire sauce....lots of it too, and Montreal steak seasoning. Rub seasoning on as a dry rub, and pour a crapload of wrcheshure sauce on it throughout the grill.

FooTemps
01-30-2007, 03:27 PM
I either go for a marinade or just grill it with salt and pepper. (aka give it a unique flavor or enjoy the natural flavor)

bentothejam1n
01-30-2007, 08:59 PM
i guess nobody uses barbecue sauce?

PyRo
01-30-2007, 11:23 PM
i guess nobody uses barbecue sauce?
Haven't found a practical use for it yet...

FooTemps
01-31-2007, 03:00 AM
Haven't found a practical use for it yet...

french fries, chicken nuggets, potato chips (maybe if you count barbecue flavored chips)

jenarelJAM
01-31-2007, 03:42 AM
french fries, chicken nuggets, potato chips (maybe if you count barbecue flavored chips)
It's used on pizza around here...
But I live in CA, we're just cool like that :headbang:

FooTemps
01-31-2007, 11:00 AM
It's used on pizza around here...
But I live in CA, we're just cool like that :headbang:

i completely forgot about that! I've used barbecue in pizza before out of too! Didn't turn out as nicely as I wanted though...

KKPASA
02-02-2007, 01:57 PM
Then all ya need is a REALY hot fire. Its all about the temp. Fast and furious. Never more than Medium rare. Makes no difference the sorce. In fact its hard to build a hot enough fire out of charcoal to do it. Gas can do it... if there are enough burners. You really need close to 700 degrees. More is better.

I was always taught that it's low and slow. wouldn't the high temp crisp the outside too much?

zondo
02-02-2007, 06:16 PM
i completely forgot about that! I've used barbecue in pizza before out of too! Didn't turn out as nicely as I wanted though...

Heck yeah! BBQ sauce instead of tomato sauce, chicken, red onion, and pineapple... :headbang: (among other variations of toppings)