PDA

View Full Version : $3000 for a new car!

marctheshark0404
01-29-2007, 02:58 PM
My civic is getting boring to drive(Auto), and i am afraid of damaging, more than i already have. So, i talked to my parents and they said they would take the civic and buy me a car if it is for a good price(within $3000)! I was wondering what input you guys had, thanks!

Info bout me:
Drive 500+ miles a week, so needs to not be a gas hog
Love to go fast
Must have less then 170,000 miles
looking for somthing fun for a 17 year old

Considering: All Manual!
1991-1994 Nissan Sentra
1991-1994 Nissan 240SX
1991-1995 Infiniti G20(brother has a 93.5)
1994-1998 Toyota Celica(brother has 3)
Toyota MR2

geekwarrior
01-29-2007, 02:59 PM
91 MR2 turbo....although you may not be responsible enough to drive it. :cool:

kruger
01-29-2007, 03:07 PM
The Nissan 240sx.

When Nissan built this car, they went to the insurance companies and asked them to define what a sports car was. The 240 sx was built just inside the "family car" specs. So, you get sports car performance with family car insurance rates. The best of both worlds.

warbeak2099
01-29-2007, 04:27 PM
Toyotas are the highest quality Japanese cars on the market. If you can find a Celica or MR2 for $3000, jesus christ buy it.

After Toyota/Lexus it goes:

Honda/Acura
Subaru
Nissan/Infiniti
Mazda
Mitsubishi

Go for either of the Toyotas. Best gas efficiency, highest reliability, cheapest to fix, etc.

I would suggest one other option. An alternative to the MR2 would be the Honda S-2000. The S-2000 is around the same price if not cheaper, it is much more aggressive and higher performance, and is exactly the same quality. It's got probably the best racing/performance 4 cylinder on the market in it stock. The stock suspension is really high performance too. It's better than the MR2 by far and it should be around the same price if not cheaper.

My dream car = Honda S-2000, sport suspension, performance chip, throaty exhaust (not buzzy rice rocket crap), cold air induction system, strut bar, cross drilled rotors and performance brakes, gaaaaaaaaaaah saliva...

geekwarrior
01-29-2007, 04:43 PM
Toyotas are the highest quality Japanese cars on the market. If you can find a Celica or MR2 for $3000, jesus christ buy it.

Honda/Acura
Subaru
Nissan/Infiniti
Mazda
Mitsubishi

Go for either of the Toyotas. Best gas efficiency, highest reliability, cheapest to fix, etc.

I would suggest one other option. An alternative to the MR2 would be the Honda S-2000. The S-2000 is around the same price if not cheaper, it is much more aggressive and higher performance, and is exactly the same quality. It's got probably the best racing/performance 4 cylinder on the market in it stock. The stock suspension is really high performance too. It's better than the MR2 by far and it should be around the same price if not cheaper.

My dream car = Honda S-2000, sport suspension, performance chip, throaty exhaust (not buzzy rice rocket crap), cold air induction system, strut bar, cross drilled rotors and performance brakes, gaaaaaaaaaaah saliva...

you cant get an S2000 for $3000.

kosmo
01-29-2007, 04:54 PM
With the exception of the mr2 and 240sx, those cars are all what scientists like to call "gay". You see, a car that drives the front wheels is inherently not straight, and if it makes no attempt to forcibly rotate the rear tires, it is indeed a homosexual car. Unless you go for that kind of thing, not that theres anything wrong with that mind you, they should be avoided. MR2s are pretty cool performers, but rather fugly and unpractical. 240s are pretty decent cars, though the engine is a heavy and semi useless brick. That can be voided by performing a relatively simple and almost economical ls1 swap. It will also piss off a lot of those ricer freaks, which is a wonderful thing to do. Hard to beat 350 hp and 30 mpg if you have it geared right. Or you could just skip the whole engine swap process and get a camaro.

marctheshark0404
01-29-2007, 05:38 PM
With the exception of the mr2 and 240sx, those cars are all what scientists like to call "gay". You see, a car that drives the front wheels is inherently not straight, and if it makes no attempt to forcibly rotate the rear tires, it is indeed a homosexual car. Unless you go for that kind of thing, not that theres anything wrong with that mind you, they should be avoided. MR2s are pretty cool performers, but rather fugly and unpractical. 240s are pretty decent cars, though the engine is a heavy and semi useless brick. That can be voided by performing a relatively simple and almost economical ls1 swap. It will also piss off a lot of those ricer freaks, which is a wonderful thing to do. Hard to beat 350 hp and 30 mpg if you have it geared right. Or you could just skip the whole engine swap process and get a camaro.

The problem with most rear wheel drive cars, is my insurance wont insure them. Although there are exceptions, so im mostly looking at FWD imports. Not to "trick 'em out", but for performance, and reliability.

Also, after thinking about it, im not sure the MR2 would work for me. I need to be able to carry around my hockey bag and sticks...

jenarelJAM
01-29-2007, 06:02 PM
For $3000, I'd get a CRX. My mom's boyfriend had one for awhile, let me drive it once. It's a fun car to drive, gets great gas mileage, lasts forever, and you can find them for dirt cheap. Unfortunately, it doesn't have much in the way of safety... Up to you.

Phillips
01-29-2007, 06:16 PM
MR2 it's a Lotus Elise with a Toyota badge on, same for the vaxhaull MRI's( you may know them as Opal's I think ).
Superb handeling.
Personally I would do what I am doing an dget an older car and add the things you want on.
Big exhaust for waking up half ther country
Air enduction kit
Red top engine
Blackedout windows
18" alloys
All for under 700 pounds.
:)

p.s. I may have the MR2 mixed up, does is it the 2 seater?, most cars vary a lot country to country.

skife
01-29-2007, 06:25 PM
Whats wrong with domestics?

definatally show some love for the 93-97 Probe GT /MX-6
how about a 80's camaro?
or hell, go out and find a GLS tempo, i paied $200 for it, V6 5speed, i raced my buddy in a '86 300zx n/a and i was pulling on him on the highway at about 100

SpecialBlend2786
01-29-2007, 09:01 PM

Honda/Acura
Subaru
Nissan/Infiniti
Mazda
Mitsubishi

S2000's go through tires like crazy though

Bear_Claw
01-30-2007, 12:09 AM
Try looking into an older VW golf Diesel. The old oines were not fast in any way but youl be hard pressed to find a more reliable cheap to run car PERIOD. And inshurance was a laugh.

I bought my old golf for $1000 cert and e-tested with a spare engein doors truck and hood.
Sold the apre parts for $200. Drove the car for 1 year myself and then let my bro drive it for 8 months. All i ever did to it was rapair the alternator mount (bolt snapped), adjust the valves (replace valve cover gasket), change the oil and repair a broken exhaust clamp and replace one CV shaft (due to some REALLY spireted driving SEE BELOW) . Total cost of maintenece for 1 year and 8 months about $200. I then sold the car for $100.

The car was awsome on fuel 45-50mpg. It was not fast but it never was holding up traffic and was capable of 140km/hr going down the highway. It is still the most fun car to drive i have EVER owned (and have owned quite a few cars). I even did a road rally with it and managed to jump the car a few times in the posess. And heck i actually did pretty good in the rally too ( the other cars were way to expensive to push em as hard as i did mine in the rain). I think the reason the car was so fun is you really felt connected to the car as their was no real options on it no power steering no a/c no NOTHING.

That car is what conviced me on my current car a 2004 VW Jetta TDI. This ones fast and still fun ,reliable and extreamly good on fuel and even inshurance is decent. But she cost ALOT more than $3000 and in my opinion is still not near as fun to drive. But it is nice to have all these ammenities.

Heres a pic of my old VW

http://www.hunt101.com/img/358800.JPG

And heres one of the new one

http://www.hunt101.com/img/430836.JPG

WaffleBaron
01-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Must have less then 170,000 miles

Pretty high standards... :bounce:

marctheshark0404
01-30-2007, 02:13 AM
Pretty high standards... :bounce:

would like less than 170,000 :cheers: