PDA

View Full Version : Does your gun kick?

StygShore
01-30-2007, 11:52 AM
I guess I never really thougth about gun kick until I saw some videos of the Mini being balanced and fired several times with no noticeable barrel rise or anything.

Does your mag kick?

Is there any way to adjust or setup the mag so it doesnt kick?

Styg

behemoth
01-30-2007, 12:24 PM
I guess I never really thougth about gun kick until I saw some videos of the Mini being balanced and fired several times with no noticeable barrel rise or anything.

Does your mag kick?

Is there any way to adjust or setup the mag so it doesnt kick?

Styg

You have a mag. Shoot it.

but, i'd think not. There is no LPR to lower, no reciprocating mass to lighten (cant really lighten your bolt, unless a new one is made. Rogue?) Its all balance...

d4m4don3
01-30-2007, 12:28 PM
I see a slight barrel rise if I set the gun to 1000 psi and I shoot a long string. Otherwise when the gun is at 750 psi, no issues. Oh and the invert mini can kick if you have it set to 200 psi.

warbeak2099
01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Nope, not that much. My mag doesn't seem to kick very noticeably. There is some very slight barrel rise but nothing else.

StygShore
01-30-2007, 12:47 PM
You have a mag. Shoot it.

but, i'd think not. There is no LPR to lower, no reciprocating mass to lighten (cant really lighten your bolt, unless a new one is made. Rogue?) Its all balance...

Hehe thats what I am asking, I know my mags have ALWAYS had kick, and was curios if it was how I was setting them up or what. the electronic mags seemed to have a lot more barrel rise than my mechaincals did though.

I have yet to really shoot the Nightmare ina game, so not sure how thats going to feel.

Styg

phizz
01-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I know my xmag had kick, noticed it most when I used the warp because I held it differently. When I played around with it with the xmod version in full auto the barrel would rise up.

d4m4don3
01-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Hehe thats what I am asking, I know my mags have ALWAYS had kick, and was curios if it was how I was setting them up or what. the electronic mags seemed to have a lot more barrel rise than my mechaincals did though.

I have yet to really shoot the Nightmare ina game, so not sure how thats going to feel.

Styg

I tend to balance my guns out. A back heavy gun tends to be more difficult to me to aim with. That and it tends to want to point up unless I have a firm grip or have it butted up against my shoulder. My mini is presently giving me balance issues. So I'm looking to get a heavier barrel in the hopes of getting the gun to be a little bit more front heavy, balance isn't to my liking.

Big Boy
01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
psh, heck yes mags have kick. That shows it's a real gun (marker :rolleyes: ).

Pneumagger
01-30-2007, 01:54 PM
Newton's 3rd Law.

/All guns kick
//even the mini
///keyword: counter-balancing forces

stonersr26
01-30-2007, 02:06 PM
As Pnuemagger said

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

It doesn't matter if it is a mag, mini, Dm7, or whatever. If they are all shooting the same velocity and the same weight paint they are going to kick the same. The difference comes in with different reciporicating masses and mass of the marker.

Physical Science is handy for something :p

phizz
01-30-2007, 02:26 PM
get an old one piece boomstick barrel, I have one of those and the sucker weighs a tonne.

Pneumagger
01-30-2007, 02:54 PM
As Pnuemagger said

"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction."

It doesn't matter if it is a mag, mini, Dm7, or whatever. If they are all shooting the same velocity and the same weight paint they are going to kick the same. The difference comes in with different reciporicating masses and mass of the marker.

Physical Science is handy for something :p

Although true, percieved kick is way different due to mass and movement dissimilarties in separate guns.

Most guns kick back with a quick impulse as the bolt assembly drives forward and then kick forward as the bolt travels back. This produces a quick backward/forward kick with the net change imparted on the gun coming from the accelleration of the paintball's mass and propellent air mass. The bolt's forward/backward motions are respectively equally opposite which occur at different time frame, allowing you to percieve both impulses - whether you realize there is both a separate backward and forward feel to the shot.

The mini has a part in the rear of the valve that moves counter to bolt at the same time. This mitigates the percieved recoil, both from the bolt firing and resetting. Ultimately, both the backwards and forwards impulses imparted on the gun sum to near zero - thus the percieved recoil of the Mini is drastically reduced, with the felt recoil approaching the value of the air/paintball momentum change.

There are always ways to decrese and/or cancel mechanical recoil from any weapon (such as the Invert Mini or Barrett .50cal achieves)... but ultimately, you can never achieve a lower recoil than the momentum change needed to throw a paintball's mass and propellant's mass to 300fps in a few milliseconds.

/everytime an AGG kid say's thier "gat don't kick" Newton rolls over in his grave :(

stonersr26
01-30-2007, 03:03 PM
lol, too true Pnuemagger.

A 10Bando
01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
who has a gun that has legs? I didn't know guns could kick. I thoguth it was like horses and other animals like that...lol.

stonersr26
01-30-2007, 03:17 PM
Ok, ok, have to get technical on us. Guns have "Recoil".

A 10Bando
01-30-2007, 03:19 PM
oh well in that case....my minimag I don't think ever had recoil that I noticed. I do know that my 2k2LCD did have some but I did run at dwell of 17,s and it shot so f'in fast it was insane but still nothing much. It did not effect my gouping much at all but when you are shooting that fast do you even need a grouping.

A 10Bando
01-30-2007, 03:21 PM
oh well in that case....my minimag I don't think ever had recoil that I noticed. I do know that my 2k2LCD did have some but I did run at dwell of 17ms and it shot so f'in fast it was insane but still nothing much. It did not effect my gouping much at all but when you are shooting that fast do you even need a grouping.

PyRo
01-30-2007, 05:09 PM
I thought the new bolts were plastic, or at least plastic with a steal base? Or did that fail? I remember when someone falsely claimed the plastic separated and someone was injured causing AGD to spend a whole bunch of time looking into it before the kid confessed.

A 10Bando
01-30-2007, 09:47 PM
I did see pictures of the first lvl 10 bolts shreading but never heard of anyone getting hurt by them. The problem was quickly fixed because I got lvl 10 almost as it came out and never had any issues.

Dark Side
01-31-2007, 02:22 PM
My mags have always had kick, but I suppose long balling is better than shooting the ground time and again.

kiltedpainter
02-06-2007, 05:52 PM
You all should try shooting a Tippmann 68 Special then start talking about recoil. My old one used to kick like a .22 rifle. It has a solid steel rear bolt that is about 3.5" long and about an inch across. The only holes in it are for the spring/guide rod assembly and for the cocking nob. They are old beaters of markers though. If Kalashnikov made a paintball marker, it would have been the 68 Special.