PDA

View Full Version : Best way to Remove anno for chrome finish?

sixtoes1313
01-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Hey, i plan doing alot of my parts in a chrome or polished alum finish. The probem is that the rail, forgrip, trigger frame, and warp feed bracket are faded or chipped black anno. Whats the cheapest or best way I can remove the finish to return to the natural finish?

wjr
01-30-2007, 05:45 PM
Put the parts in drano or a similar drain cleaner. Pull the parts out every so often to wipe the smut off of them.

punkncat
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
Put the parts in drano or a similar drain cleaner. Pull the parts out every so often to wipe the smut off of them.

I would like to point out that Lye and other drain cleaners are seriously hazardous. Make sure that you wear heavy long gloves, an apron and other spill/splash precautions. Washing Lye does nothing as it eats away at your skin and tissues as it will the layer of anno. Vinegar is a good thing to have around while working with lye, as it will stop the corrosive process by neutralizing it.

After base washing your piece, soak it in a strong vinegar solution, then flush with lots of water. Some light sanding with a super fine emory cloth will probably be needed. Afterward be sure to seal the raw aluminum with a good polish or wax to deter oxidation.

Oh and on edit and partially in reply to the below. NEVER use straight Drano, or use too much Lye. Always dilute with water in a safe container.

CKY_Alliance
01-30-2007, 06:34 PM
Let someone who knows what they are doing do it..drano can pit the aluminum..

StygShore
01-30-2007, 06:42 PM
Anno...

Ok -

If you are getting a chrome finish, they will probably not care if the piece is anodized as they will have to prep the surface for chrome.

If you was a "polished aluminum" finish... you would still be looking at getting a polished clear anodize on the metal, or like the previous person said, you will get heavy oxidation on the raw aluminum parts. Aluminum needs a protective coating in order not to oxidize and scratch easily.

Styg

and use Gruntbull Anodizing, not Precision Paintball for the work :ninja:

iambored
01-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Why don't you just have an anno guy take the anno off, they do after all put it on so shouldn't they know how to take it off?

sixtoes1313
01-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I wasnt talking about getting it anno'd. Id like to avoid the prices of annoing. My dad says to bead blast it, then use steel wool and others to polish it up to a mirror shine , then wax it. I dunno though.

Mayzons
01-30-2007, 07:14 PM
Use easy off oven cleaner, works great

sixtoes1313
01-30-2007, 07:26 PM
the only thing im worried about oven cleaner is that is unpredictable and could cause piting. I really dont wanna risk my chimera frame and other nice pieces to pitting.

lasrsktr
01-30-2007, 07:59 PM
the only thing im worried about oven cleaner is that is unpredictable and could cause piting. I really dont wanna risk my chimera frame and other nice pieces to pitting.

take it to a metal shop... and have them do it... thats the only way to get it done right....

home brew finishes are just that... not perfect...

I stripped the Anno on my 15* asa... it worked out pretty good.... but wasn't perfect... I used a dremel with a wire brush and a few other attachments.....

Never again will i be doing that..

heres a picture of my polished dallara.
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/GEEKWARRIOR81/mags1.jpg

sixtoes1313
01-30-2007, 08:42 PM
wow...... :wow: ...all those mags..... :eek: :hail: you have probly the most beautiful collection of mags i've seen yet. Anyway that finish is just what i was looking for. About houw much did you pay for it to be done? And do they seal it with anything?

bunny5
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Your best bet is to goto www.precisionpb.com and get your part anodized/polished. Its $16 per part. I think it would be a great investment to let a professional to do the work.

d4m4don3
01-30-2007, 08:49 PM
wow...... :wow: ...all those mags..... :eek: :hail: you have probly the most beautiful collection of mags i've seen yet. Anyway that finish is just what i was looking for. About houw much did you pay for it to be done? And do they seal it with anything?

LOL that was from last AO meet, It's just that Lasrsktr placed his mag real well for pics. ;)

skife
01-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Anno...

Ok -

If you are getting a chrome finish, they will probably not care if the piece is anodized as they will have to prep the surface for chrome.

If you was a "polished aluminum" finish... you would still be looking at getting a polished clear anodize on the metal, or like the previous person said, you will get heavy oxidation on the raw aluminum parts. Aluminum needs a protective coating in order not to oxidize and scratch easily.

Styg

and use Gruntbull Anodizing, not Precision Paintball for the work :ninja:

i'd just like to point out that annodizing is just a form of oxidation

StygShore
01-30-2007, 08:53 PM
i'd just like to point out that annodizing is just a form of oxidation

Yes, I know this - but does it matter at all for his question :)

Bottom line, if you dont seal it, it will oxidize, and NOT in a pretty way - get clear anno and you wont have to ever take the buffing wheel to it again.

Styg

wjr
01-30-2007, 09:42 PM
I would like to point out that Lye and other drain cleaners are seriously hazardous. Make sure that you wear heavy long gloves, an apron and other spill/splash precautions. Washing Lye does nothing as it eats away at your skin and tissues as it will the layer of anno. Vinegar is a good thing to have around while working with lye, as it will stop the corrosive process by neutralizing it.

After base washing your piece, soak it in a strong vinegar solution, then flush with lots of water. Some light sanding with a super fine emory cloth will probably be needed. Afterward be sure to seal the raw aluminum with a good polish or wax to deter oxidation.

Oh and on edit and partially in reply to the below. NEVER use straight Drano, or use too much Lye. Always dilute with water in a safe container.

That's good to know about the vinegar...

But it seems like the best was to deter oxidation would be to give it a clear ano, especially if this will be done on a chimera frame! I remember that I ruined several parts (a rail included) not from anodizing mistakes, but from stripping mistakes.

If you do attempt this yourself then I would really recommend practicing on several parts before you attempt it.

And now for a question of my own that is sort of on the same topic: What's the best way to strip off powder coat, and the best way to polish SS? I've got a minimag body I want to make shiny.

StygShore
01-30-2007, 11:07 PM
Powdercoat will come off in a lot of solvents, even gasoline will take some powdercoat off. Best bet is Zip Strip or something similar http://www.starbronze.com/zipstrip.html

Paint thinners will eat away at the powdercoat, but should not harm the metal finish.

as far as making the stainless shine... Flitz metal polish is all I use on anythign that needs to shine, the stuff is awesome!!!!! http://www.flitz-polish.com/family.asp?fam_id=ZFMP

Styg

sixtoes1313
01-30-2007, 11:20 PM
K i think ill take the clear anno trip. just need to save the money up first.

lasrsktr
01-31-2007, 04:31 PM

Haha... yeah that is not my collection... I only have one mag in that picture....

That finish didn't cost me but 5 hours of time... the body was raw to begin with(no anno).... I polished it with mother mag aluminum polish. and just keep it up every couple of weeks.. There is no sealer.

The only thing I actually had to strip was the 15* ASA. It was a pain in the *** and I will never strip my Anno again. Its just way to time consuming if you don't have the proper tools to do it with...

But the outcome is amazing.

sixtoes1313
02-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I dont mind polishing my guns after play so i figured what the hell, ill try my dads method on the warp bracket...and i must say im pretty impressed. he bead blasted it and brought it home. I used steel wool on it, then the steel wool with cleaning compound caked inside. Rinsed it off and used some chrome/alum polish for a stunning finish. I really like it.
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/2/3115370451.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4659791)
Plus its like a real raw metal machine type finish which i like since this gun is going to be all mechanical. i should be having my dad do all the rest of the parts tommorow, and ill polish em up and get some pics.