PDA

View Full Version : Trying to start a collge team

surfbum
02-01-2007, 03:12 PM
hey guys

im currently trying to start up a college team at my university, i know there are at lease a couple people on AO that play for colleges so i was wondering if they had any advice about starting up a team, best way to get sponsers, etc. any advice helps, thanks a bunch

Pneumagger
02-01-2007, 04:21 PM
I would like to start a club team as well. Info would be appreciated.

gridley
02-01-2007, 04:24 PM
ive been thinking about trying this at my college aswell....were you going to school? there is a college paintball website that was helpful when i started lookin into it ill try to find it for ya.

neppo1345
02-01-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.college-paintball.com/info/startclub.html

We run ours as a club sport. Basically it means that the University gives a budget for everything.

The only thing we pay for is transportation and practices.

We're one of the oldest and few school funded clubs around. Most other teams have to pay their own way.

surfbum
02-01-2007, 04:29 PM
ive been thinking about trying this at my college aswell....were you going to school? there is a college paintball website that was helpful when i started lookin into it ill try to find it for ya.

i go to school at the University of California, Santa Barbara
we just became a university recongnized student club, but in terms of having a team that really means nothing, we have to wait 3 years to be eligable for club sport standing and funding for a sport.

Since, im not going to be at school in 3 years i want to try and get something going sooner, which means doing it all by ourselves and most importantly, other forms of funding

VFX_Fenix
02-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Humboldt State (CAlifornia) has/had a college Paintball Club/Team presence. There are specific bi-laws prohibiting markers on school campuses, however under certain circumstances if you talk to your campus police and other related officials (usually the clubs director or athletics director) they'll let you bring "disabled" markers onto campus (usually removal of the bolt system). Things to do generally will include looking to other campus sporting clubs and draw up your charter and constitution from their examples (if you have a campus Archery club they're good for such things). Having an official team attached to the school most likely won't be something you'll get off the ground initially, that can come later anyway.

Other sources.

NCPA (National Collegiate Paintball Association)
http://www.college-paintball.com/

warbeak2099
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm gonna try and do the same thing. Maybe I'll link the three main schools here in Worcester together. I'll try and see if Fox4 or something can give us some kind of help.

surfbum
02-02-2007, 03:20 PM
anyone else have vast amounts of wisdom to share?

AlphaPaintballRef2
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm the president of RIT's club and NCPA team and I can try to answer your questions the best I can.

~Starting a club at your school:
This depends on how your school works. You should contact whoever is in charge of that sort of thing and see what needs to be done. You will probably have to find a faculty advisor, go to a club proposal interview, fill out more paperwork than you thought existed...

~Getting club funds:
Once again it depends on your school. Unfortunately, RIT treats us like ****. I think we get alloted $80 a quarter (10 weeks) for the WHOLE TEAM. There are many ways for us to get more money (but not much) for events but, once again, to get this we have to jump through hoops of fire while chewing gum, patting our heads and whistling Yankee Doodle out our ********. I hope your school is different and more open minded about paintball. RIT is very closed minded and will not give us any slack at all. It was a blessing for us to even get a team started.
Try the best you can to promote a positive image of paintball; the teamwork, communication, physical fitness etc. This will give admisistrators and people with the money positive things to look at and they will more likely allocate you funds if they see it is not jsut a bunch of kids shooting each other. Plan events and practices and show this to them. If you win events, bring in the trophy and give it to them to display. They really like when you do something positive representing the school.

**More to come later...its 4:30 and my work shift is over. Time for some ballin' followed by beer :cheers:

warbeak2099
02-02-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm the president of RIT's club and NCPA team and I can try to answer your questions the best I can.

~Starting a club at your school:
This depends on how your school works. You should contact whoever is in charge of that sort of thing and see what needs to be done. You will probably have to find a faculty advisor, go to a club proposal interview, fill out more paperwork than you thought existed...

~Getting club funds:
Once again it depends on your school. Unfortunately, RIT treats us like ****. I think we get alloted $80 a quarter (10 weeks) for the WHOLE TEAM. There are many ways for us to get more money (but not much) for events but, once again, to get this we have to jump through hoops of fire while chewing gum, patting our heads and whistling Yankee Doodle out our ********. I hope your school is different and more open minded about paintball. RIT is very closed minded and will not give us any slack at all. It was a blessing for us to even get a team started.
Try the best you can to promote a positive image of paintball; the teamwork, communication, physical fitness etc. This will give admisistrators and people with the money positive things to look at and they will more likely allocate you funds if they see it is not jsut a bunch of kids shooting each other. Plan events and practices and show this to them. If you win events, bring in the trophy and give it to them to display. They really like when you do something positive representing the school.

**More to come later...its 4:30 and my work shift is over. Time for some ballin' followed by beer :cheers:

RIT outlawed fun didn't you hear?

BD_Paintball
02-03-2007, 08:55 PM
Im on the UW-Whitewater club team. At our school you have to have the club approved and have members for 2 years before they will start to think about giving the club money. Talk to the person at your school who is the head of club sports about the things you need to start a club to get all that info before you start doing anything else. We have had our club for about 4-5 years so we get money now. We only get about 1600 for a whole year which is not very much. If you are able to start a club make sure you do fundraisers. nationals for us is going to cost each person in the range of 600 bucks. We have sponsor t-shirts which we get local businesses to donate 50 or 100 bucks to put their company logo on the back of the t-shirt. Also try to get as many paintball players to join the club as possible. The more people you have the more money will be in the club's bank account. Also don’t only have tourney players join the club, you can appoint a "rec leader" which will talk about rec events that are coming up.