PDA

View Full Version : leaking out the barrel

wrencher968
02-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I just bought a used Automag. The person i bought it from claimed they hadnt used it for years. When I got it I aired it up and it leaked bad out both ends. I oiled it up an tried it again. It only leaked out the barrel. I bought an oring kit and replaced all the orings. It still leaks out the barrel. The on/off top out of my gun looks different than the one in the exploded view I downloaded. It has a flat top and an "X" machined in the bottom. I put it back in they same way it was when i took it out but I dont know if it was in right to begin with. Any ideas? Also, when i was taking the valve body out of the gun after i tested it after replacing the orings I had a hard time taking the valve body out of the gun because the on/off pin was extended out of the on/off valve. I pulled the tank off the gun before i tried taking the valve out of the gun. I dont know if these problems are all related but i thought it was a good idea to post them all together.

Coralis
02-01-2007, 09:16 PM
Yeah thats the original style on/off top you would probably want to replace that at some point. Leaking out the barrel is usually cause by one of two things bad oring in the power tube or and oring problem in the on/off. The way to narrow it down is to air up the gun and pull the trigger if the leak goes away then its the power tube oring or a spacer problem. If the gun continues to leak then the on/off orings are leaking or you put the on/off pin upside down. When you want to remove the valve from the gun it will be necessary to pull the trigger to push the on/off pin in so you can remove the valve.

athomas
02-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Coralis is correct. The on-off top you have is an original one. They work fine but must be properly oriented in the on-off hole. The flat side faces the inside of the valve and the X faces out of the hole.

Quite often, leaks out the front are caused by changes in tolerances due to wear over time. If the sear has worn a bit, you may need to use a shorter powertube spacer to allow the powertube oring to seal against the bolt stem properly.

wrencher968
02-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Coralis is correct. The on-off top you have is an original one. They work fine but must be properly oriented in the on-off hole. The flat side faces the inside of the valve and the X faces out of the hole.

Quite often, leaks out the front are caused by changes in tolerances due to wear over time. If the sear has worn a bit, you may need to use a shorter powertube spacer to allow the powertube oring to seal against the bolt stem properly.

Thanks, I'll give those things a try.

wrencher968
02-02-2007, 08:07 PM

The on/off was put together properly, but there isnt a spacer in the power tube. There is just a copper looking spring. The leak out the barrel stops when i pull the trigger. This last time I aired up the gun, it was leaking out the back pretty bad. Any ideas about that?

Coralis
02-03-2007, 08:17 PM
If your marker leaks out the back it means the velocity is set to high .... or the regulator piston needs to be replaced. The brass spring was replaced by the brass spacers in later models you can find them here http://store.airgun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=413&categoryID=18
Using the .225 or .220 spacer should clear up your leaking problem unless your sear is worn down badly (note these usually dont wear down unless someone has tried a home brew trigger mod)

athomas
02-03-2007, 08:33 PM
A leak out the back could be a bad regulator seat oring. Make sure the oring is in properly. It goes on tight in one direction but not the other. The tight way is the correct way. Don't reuse an old one. You did replace it so it shouldn't be a bad one. Turn the velocity down and see if that makes a difference.

wrencher968
02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Thanks