PDA

View Full Version : Regaining computer performance. Or maintaining it.

Dubstar112
02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
I have a HP Pavilion dv1550se, and Ive been using it for about a year or so. Ive already cleaned up my files on the computer. I just need to know what tools to use on the computer that can keep it running in optimal condition.

So far today I have:

Defrag
Scandisk
Virus Scan

I know there is more tools. Id like to improve the time it takes to load when you turn it on, but any thing I uncheck in MS config automatically turns back on with in a few restarts.

What are some tips and suggestions to improve my laptops speed and overall make it better running?

ScatterPlot
02-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Maybe try AdAware and Spybot: Search and Destroy.
Those are good at getting most annoying adware and crap off your system, and they're both free! :D

Thordic
02-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Depending on how much data you have, and how good you are at backing it up, a reformat every now and then is a good thing.

Altimas
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
Yeah it would help if you reformat. I usually reformat atleast once a year.

If you want it to boot faster there are several things you can do to help this.

In the BIOS make sure it boots off the harddrive first.
Also remove any icons off your Desktop, and change your background to [None] and just pick your favorite color.
In your System Restore settings I usually drop it down to 1% or 2% of the harddrive depending on the size of the drive.
Another thing you can do is drop down the Storage size on the recycle bin to 0%... Cause when I delete something I dont want to have to go and delete it again.

These are all some things that will help your computer boot up faster.

Dubstar112
02-02-2007, 10:10 AM
Cool, Ill have to look into the backing up my files since Ive never done that before. Call me crazy... lol

Although I did delete all but the recycle bin from my desk top for that uber un cluttered look a while back.

Maybe Im a little farther in this area than I thought.

Keep the tips coming tia!

thecavemankevin
02-02-2007, 01:52 PM
great tips found here:

what the guys said about formating is key. I frequently used machine should be nuked about once a year for optimal health. Second most important is "surf smart." I use to get pop ups, but now i surf smart. I stick with programs that dont come with coupled junk/spyware nor do i visit sites that infect my pc.

for you:
first go get Ccleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/ and run that to make sure system is fairly clean of temp files and junk like that (this is a good tool to use even if not formating the HDD).

next, go here http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and download and then burn that image to a cd. This is by far one of my most used tools in my library. It is loaded with a ton of free/open source utilities that can do almost anything you need to do on standard home systems. This includes complete image backups.
What i typically do with a clients machine when i'm nuking it is boot to that CD, run XML image backup to an external hard drive. That way if i miss anything in data transfer i have a complete image to refer back to. Then i use Driver Backup (also off that CD) and backup all the drivers to the same HDD.

Next i used Microsoft's backup tool found here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306186
I use that to make a complete backup of all system settings (mouse settings, task bar and everyrhting else) along with the users my documents and settings.

Next, i nuke the pc

Next of course i install the os. Depending on if it needs drivers, i will restore from the driver backup i made. If you have unknown drivers not found you can burn your driver backup to a cd and then let the system auto scan the cd for drivers rather than trying to point it to the specific driver via trial and error.

Finally i use microsofts fastwiz tool again to restore docs and settings.