PDA

View Full Version : Best original meal?

tech-chan
02-02-2007, 02:06 PM
Ok, whats the best original meal you've ever cooked. Im trying to get recipes offa here for a "special dinner"... Really appreciated, Jeremiah

robnix
02-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Ok, whats the best original meal you've ever cooked. Im trying to get recipes offa here for a "special dinner"... Really appreciated, Jeremiah

Do something classic like this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_13201,00.html

Tournedos of Beef in Mushroom, Mustard and Red Wine Sauce with Caramelized Onion-Potato Gratin

Croutons:
4 slices, country-style bread
Olive oil
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Place bread on a work surface and using a 3-inch cookie cutter, cut a round crouton from the center of each piece of bread. Brush both sides of the croutons with olive oil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place the croutons on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Tournedos and Sauce:
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
4 beef fillet steaks, about 6 ounces
Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
1 pound shiitake mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
2 shallots, finely diced
1 cup red wine
1 cup beef broth
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter

Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet over high heat. Season the fillets with salt and press the coarsely cracked black pepper onto 1 side of each fillet. Place the fillets pepper-side down into the skillet and sear until golden brown, turn the fillets over and continue cooking for 4 to 5 minutes for medium-rare doneness. Remove the steaks to a plate. Remove all but 3 tablespoons of the fat in the pan and return to high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown and their liquid has evaporated. Add the shallots and cook until soft. Add the red wine and reduce by half. Add the broth and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the mustard and butter and cook for 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Place each fillet on top of a crouton and spoon some of the sauce over.

Onion and Potato Gratin:
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 large Spanish onion, peeled and sliced thinly
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 large potatoes, peeled and sliced thinly
3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese

Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the onions and cook slowly until caramelized. Add the garlic and balsamic vinegar and cook for 2 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Butter a 9-inch baking pan a place a layer of potatoes on the bottom and season with salt and pepper. Spoon 1/5 of the onion mixture over the potatoes and top with 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and a tablespoon of parsley. Repeat to make 5 layers. Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the potatoes. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the potatoes are soft and the cream has been absorbed.

cyrus-the-virus
02-02-2007, 03:37 PM
I was going to post beef and rice casserole, but NOOO you had to go and get all fancy shmancy on me.

jackass :mad:

:p

robnix
02-02-2007, 04:08 PM
I was going to post beef and rice casserole, but NOOO you had to go and get all fancy shmancy on me.

jackass :mad:

:p

That's Chef Jackass to you mister!

master_alexander
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
very simple--

meat loaf
carrots (with butter and garlic)
mashed potatoes with gravy (brown, not white.)

i dont have a specific recipie, but im sure you can find one. dont put bread in the meat loaf.

rkjunior303
02-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I have a great recipe for a beer marinaded steak. I'll post it when i get home.

trevorjk
02-02-2007, 04:18 PM
110 W VERNON AVE
KINSTON, NC 28501

:ninja:

Crighton
02-02-2007, 04:28 PM
I have a decent Pork medalallion flambe that's fairly similar to the Tournedos of Beef in Mushroom. Except it uses a cognac flambe and heavy cream sauce with the mushrooms.

robnix
02-02-2007, 04:40 PM
very simple--

meat loaf
carrots (with butter and garlic)
mashed potatoes with gravy (brown, not white.)

i dont have a specific recipie, but im sure you can find one. dont put bread in the meat loaf.

The bread crumbs in the meatloaf are there to absorb and hold moisture. Without them you get a dry loaf that's very hamburger like.

robnix
02-02-2007, 04:41 PM
I have a decent Pork medalallion flambe that's fairly similar to the Tournedos of Beef in Mushroom. Except it uses a cognac flambe and heavy cream sauce with the mushrooms.

Like a Steak Diane, that sounds yummy!

behemoth
02-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Robnix, i get the feeling that you're a chef/cook, correct?

robnix
02-02-2007, 04:55 PM
Robnix, i get the feeling that you're a chef/cook, correct?

I went to culinary school, worked in the industry for about 11 years doing everything from hotels, catering, and fine dining. I even ran the kitchen at a fishing lodge in Alaska once. Quit doing it about 1998, the pay sucks for the amount of life you lose and my body just couldn't take the constant abuse anymore. Switched to IT and now work as a systems engineer. I married a girl that followed the same path I did, but she still works in kitchens. Her food knowledge is simply amazing. I still have fun cooking at home, and we plan on having our own place in 5-10 years.

behemoth
02-02-2007, 05:02 PM
I went to culinary school, worked in the industry for about 11 years doing everything from hotels, catering, and fine dining. I even ran the kitchen at a fishing lodge in Alaska once. Quit doing it about 1998, the pay sucks for the amount of life you lose and my body just couldn't take the constant abuse anymore. Switched to IT and now work as a systems engineer. I married a girl that followed the same path I did, but she still works in kitchens. Her food knowledge is simply amazing. I still have fun cooking at home, and we plan on having our own place in 5-10 years.

From what i hear, its not the easiest job.

For example, a guy that works for my dad gave up his job as head chef for a well-known restaurant in cleveland to be a tinsmith. He'd rather work 7-5 swinging a hammer (and he can swing, this dudes HUGE) than be a head chef. He was working CRAZY hours, and just couldnt be away from his wife and kids that much. From the way he made it sound, i'd rather be a sheetmetal worker too.

robnix
02-02-2007, 05:08 PM
From what i hear, its not the easiest job.

For example, a guy that works for my dad gave up his job as head chef for a well-known restaurant in cleveland to be a tinsmith. He'd rather work 7-5 swinging a hammer (and he can swing, this dudes HUGE) than be a head chef. He was working CRAZY hours, and just couldnt be away from his wife and kids that much. From the way he made it sound, i'd rather be a sheetmetal worker too.

It takes a lot out of you. Doing on site catering was the worst, I worked one holiday season where I put in an average of 90 hours per week between Thanksgiving and New Years day. Now I work 9-5 for the most part and get to watch my three (almost four) year old do cool things like open xmas presents. My wife got lucky and has a M-F daytime job so at least the hours are normal.

Everyone out there that wants to be in the food biz really needs to read Kitchen Confidential first.

tech-chan
02-05-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys and I was thinking steak, steamed carrots and rice... Whada you think?

skife
02-05-2007, 11:08 AM
taco's man... tacos

behemoth
02-05-2007, 11:23 AM
taco's man... tacos

taquitos.

the microwaveable kind.

robnix
02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys and I was thinking steak, steamed carrots and rice... Whada you think?

Don't be cheep on the steak.

skife
02-05-2007, 11:45 AM
taquitos.

the microwaveable kind.

those arn't as good.

rkjunior303
02-05-2007, 11:55 AM
those arn't as good.

After about 12 beers they're the best thing on the planet. Next to mini-tacos.

tech-chan
02-06-2007, 04:04 PM
I also had portobellas the other day whats your take on those freakin huge mushrooms???

trevorjk
02-06-2007, 04:06 PM
I also had portobellas the other day whats your take on those freakin huge mushrooms???

did you try my suggestion? :D

tech-chan
02-07-2007, 10:08 AM
I don't get it... I made steak and rice, spicy green beans and steamed carrots.

skife
02-07-2007, 10:40 AM
After about 12 beers they're the best thing on the planet. Next to mini-tacos.

IHOP is way better after that much to drink....

behemoth
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
IHOP is way better after that much to drink....

Nah, you just dont understand.

Microwaveable snack food is where its at in these ocasions.

tech-chan
02-07-2007, 10:45 AM
And sparkeling apple cider as she's under age...

Rudz
02-07-2007, 06:56 PM
enchilada casserole...mmmm

punkncat
02-07-2007, 07:04 PM
It takes a lot out of you. Doing on site catering was the worst, I worked one holiday season where I put in an average of 90 hours per week between Thanksgiving and New Years day. Now I work 9-5 for the most part and get to watch my three (almost four) year old do cool things like open xmas presents. My wife got lucky and has a M-F daytime job so at least the hours are normal.

Everyone out there that wants to be in the food biz really needs to read Kitchen Confidential first.

I hear you. Fellow culinary artist, worked about 6 years in the industry. I am an electrician now.

robnix
02-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I hear you. Fellow culinary artist, worked about 6 years in the industry. I am an electrician now.

I miss it every now and then, but being able to cook pretty much what I want for my family at home takes the edge off.

trevorjk
02-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I don't get it...

the address i gave you is a mcdonalds in the same county you are ;)

personman
02-07-2007, 09:01 PM
ezmac ftw

rkjunior303
02-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Grill with beer! This thing rocks.

Alström's Doppelbock Steak with Parmesan Garlic Broccoli and Tomato Salad

Ingredients:
Find yourself the perfect-portioned steak of choice; make sure it’s nice and marbled with fat (despite popular belief, these are the best cuts).

Buy at least 1 bottle of Doppelbock beer: Aying’s Celebrator, Paulaner Salvator, Spaten Optimator or even Sam Adams Triple Bock if you can find it. These beers are malty sweet, less hoppy, and high in alcohol, which is perfect for grilling with steak. Check with your local brewpub, too--they might have a fresh growler of Doppelbock that you can take home (use only 12-16oz.).

Broccoli (1 average-sized head, per person)

Parmesan cheese (half a cup or so)

Chopped garlic (as much as you want)

Salt and pepper

Olive oil (a few tablespoons)

Yellow and orange tomatoes (1 of each, per person)

Balsamic dressing

Direction & Notes:
Get an airtight container, drop the steak in, and pour the entire bottle of bock over the steak. Seal the container and give it a good shake, then stick it in the fridge at least overnight or up to 24 hours, re-shaking occasionally.

When it’s time to grill, simply slap that doppelbock-soaked piece of meat on the grill and get cooking. Personally, we don’t like our steak cooked more than medium rare; anything more is a waste of meat and its goodness. And besides, you just killed any bacteria by soaking it in alcohol.

While the steak is grilling, steam up the broccoli, then mix it gently with the olive oil. Shake in the parmesan cheese and chopped garlic (to your preference), then add salt and pepper to taste.

Chop up the tomatoes length-wise into meaty slices, then arrange on a small plate and splash on just a bit of that balsamic dressing.

Recommended: You can always reduce the leftover beer marinade by cooking it down on low heat, then drizzle it over the finished steak. Feel no need to add anything to it; the beer is tasty by itself and even more so when blended with the juice from the steak.

Pair with more doppelbock beer, or contrast with something light, like a pale ale or lager.

Now go forth and grill with beer ..

tech-chan
02-08-2007, 01:09 PM
the address i gave you is a mcdonalds in the same county you are ;)

LOL... I like it.