PDA

View Full Version : Do they make aluminum Macro fittings? If not why?

RavishingEddie
02-02-2007, 04:52 PM
Title says it all. I am wondering why I cannot find aluminum Macro fittings. I am trying to make my mag as light as possible and am looking for all avenues to shed teh ounces.

StygShore
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
its a macro fitting... in order to make the aluminum thick enough to not blow under the pressure, it would probably weigh more than the macro fitting normally does..

There is cutting weight, and then there is being rediculous - there is nothing to a macro fitting - you might save .05 oz if it was the same size and made of another material.

Styg

MANN
02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Doh. I didnt read. Carry on :cheers:

DSR75
02-02-2007, 05:30 PM
I am trying to make my mag as light as possible and am looking for all avenues to shed teh ounces.

He's concerned about hundreths of an ounce.

RavishingEddie
02-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Listen guys, my emag currently weighs 2.11 lbs. My friends 06 Ego weighs in at 2.5 lbs.
If I can reduce my Emag by 6 ounces more I will be full of win ;) :clap:

wjr
02-02-2007, 05:43 PM
its a macro fitting... in order to make the aluminum thick enough to not blow under the pressure, it would probably weigh more than the macro fitting normally does..

There is cutting weight, and then there is being rediculous - there is nothing to a macro fitting - you might save .05 oz if it was the same size and made of another material.

Styg

I agree. It is "rediculous".

:p

StygShore
02-02-2007, 05:44 PM
Post pics, and we will tell you WHAT is out there to cut weight

Styg

Pneumagger
02-02-2007, 05:47 PM
macro fittings are currently madde of brass. Only reason I can see is difficulty of machining an aluminum fitting.

Although I know they ake some fittings out of 303 stainless - so that may not be it.

iambored
02-02-2007, 06:08 PM
why not get a lighter body and rail? You can turn the body to swiss cheese and chop the rail to low weights.
//Or have you already done that?

RavishingEddie
02-02-2007, 06:11 PM
why not get a lighter body and rail? You can turn the body to swiss cheese and chop the rail to low weights.
//Or have you already done that?

I have a ULE body that has a milled tip and an 06 shadow rail.

StygShore
02-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Is your lower assembly ULE'd?

What feed neck do you use?

What size and type of barrel

Can you re-rout your battery to your tank cover?

Styg

RavishingEddie
02-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Is your lower assembly ULE'd?

What feed neck do you use?

What size and type of barrel

Can you re-rout your battery to your tank cover?

Styg

OK I know the Emag was made in 01 and was made heavy and back then the demands were not like they are now. So I set myself on the mission to make the emag meet the current demands. Basically I have a warp body for a qloader set up (Not for scenario, for speedball, yes I am the only guy doing this) I have ULE lowers but I think I might be able to cut a little more on the inside. I am waiting on my Myth reg that will go onto my legionair tank. I just found out that the Qloader bracket that I had my dad modify for my set up is actually made of rolled steel and not aluminum. I will hopefully have Luke make me an aluminum one. I also have a CP 2k5 ASA mounted on a drop kick and am thinking of replacing it for something lighter. I think the ASA's from Planet Eclipse should be lighter.

blamtro
02-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I hope you realize 2.11 is less than 2.5 :tard:

Listen guys, my emag currently weighs 2.11 lbs. My friends 06 Ego weighs in at 2.5 lbs.

MANN
02-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I think he means 2 lb 11 oz. as apposed to his friends ego that is 2 lb 5oz (maybe)

SpecialBlend2786
02-02-2007, 08:22 PM
Send your mag to RRFireblade, he'll make it as light as possible.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=197880

Pneumagger
02-02-2007, 08:27 PM
check mcmaster carr yet?
Did you consider an electro pneumag converion? Way lighter than Emag lowers.
Or a hyperframe, devilframe, spyderframe?
Fibur Barrel?
CP air tank and Myth Reg?
Try shooting compressed helium?

That is a list of things you should consider before a wild goosechase for different fittigns.
Personally, I suggest that you go buy an invert mini or A1 - I think your mentally anorexic.

Lohman446
02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
Basically I have a warp body for a qloader set up (Not for scenario, for speedball, yes I am the only guy doing this) .

Your not as special as you think, I haev seen other people do it :) And play speedball that way.

SR_matt
02-02-2007, 08:48 PM
steel is used becasue the stress wear on it is extreamly low to non existant. AL wears out over time and will need much less force to break it than originaly thought (i.e. a piece of AL that has 10,000 lbs of tensil strength that has 2000lbs pulling on it time after time will eventualy break it because it stresses and weakens)

im all for light weight but things that small arent gona do anything (espicaly when you need to keep up strength and would have to add more of a lighter metal)
-matt

wjr
02-02-2007, 10:16 PM
The best way to loose those ounces would be to run a remote line to your pack.

And yeah, I used a Qloader for speedball too.

Lenny
02-02-2007, 11:01 PM
...I am trying to make my mag as light as possible and am looking for all avenues to shed teh ounces.
Work out? Maybe? 'Mags really aren't that heavy. Even the SS 'Mags. If you're having problems, hit the gym.

JKR
02-02-2007, 11:04 PM

You are full of something, but win isn't it... :)

jenarelJAM
02-03-2007, 01:41 AM
I don't think you guys are getting it... He's doing this because he loves mags and wants to make a statement. He wants a mag that is as good or better in every aspect to the "high-end" scene. This means weight, primarily, since the emag keeps up in all the other areas. Sides, I'm <i>sure</i> he's planning on entering it in motm...

Can't wait :cheers:

RavishingEddie
02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
LOL I am not on crack guys comon. See I always loved mags and when the Emag first came out I couldn't afford it. Now I could afford it and I could have just bought an A1 or Mini easily, but I decided to give the Emag a chance and build one instead, and making it the lightest possible and most unique as possible. My friends made fun of me and people were like "Why the hell are you building an Emag?!! " "Sucks to be you". But when I found a home here at AO I used every bit of knowledge I could gather to make my dream worthwhile. I made one of the nicest most unique guns on my field so far and had a chance to shoot it last week. Even the most experienced of players wanted to hold my gun and I got nothing but compliments. This gun is not only a piece of great engineering by a great company but it also represents a little part of me and that is why I do what I do even if it is something as miniscule as an oz or two. I just want it to be perfect. This will be my February motm entry. Thanks for all your help guys. I owe you all a beer :cheers:

Lohman446
02-03-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't think you guys are getting it... He's doing this because he loves mags and wants to make a statement. He wants a mag that is as good or better in every aspect to the "high-end" scene. This means weight, primarily, since the emag keeps up in all the other areas. Sides, I'm <i>sure</i> he's planning on entering it in motm...

Can't wait :cheers:

Except a proactive anti-chop system....

Ydna
02-03-2007, 07:37 PM
There are some aluminum macro fittings out there. But they're specially made and thus a LOT more expensive.
Most oft he current oens are bras which can take plenty pressure at the port size. It's the hose seal that leaks more often than an actual metal "blowing" problem.