PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania announces new paintball law

thecavemankevin
01-02-2002, 11:45 AM
I herd on my local news last nigh when they were talking about new laws going into affect as of the 1st and PA has made a new paintball law. It really should make now difference to the majority of ?real? players. But the hoodlums that go out and vandalize street signs and cars and such better watch out.

I don?t recall exactly what they said the punishment is, but if you are caught driving around with a loaded paintball gun in PA your gun could (and probably will) be confiscated and all sorts of fines to boot.

So all you PA players and Pittsburgh cup people watch out, cause the man is coming to get you! :)

dorksquad
01-02-2002, 11:53 AM
any more details?
(i live in phily)

TheTramp
01-02-2002, 12:03 PM
Sounds like a good law to me. If you were transporting your marker for legitimate purposes why would it have to be loaded and gassed up? Cracking down on morons who would do a paintball drive-by helps the whole paintball community.

Thordic
01-02-2002, 12:17 PM
I was under the impression this was already the law.

In any case, it's a good law. There is no reason to drive around with air AND paintballs in the gun. That's just asking for trouble.

Muzikman
01-02-2002, 02:49 PM
Thsi has been the law for many years, they have just expanded on it.

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BT/2001/0/HB1603P2743.HTM

Mojojojo
01-02-2002, 04:33 PM
good law

sorry...short and to the point

Eric

MajorDamage
01-02-2002, 04:39 PM
I sometimes transport my marker gassed up with air attached to it if I am to lazy to unload the hopper...but my tank is always turned off though.

ENDO!

Thordic
01-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MajorDamage
I sometimes transport my marker gassed up with air attached to it if I am to lazy to unload the hopper...but my tank is always turned off though.

ENDO!

You'd still get it confiscated, under the law. And with good reason. Just take the hopper off, you don't even need to unload it.

FooTemps
01-02-2002, 04:46 PM
Why don't you just keep the marker in the trunk?

Hasty8
01-02-2002, 04:58 PM
...to empty the tank whenever it is being transported. Just in case you get into an accident do you really want the added bonus of a presurrized bomb going off?

And since we most often carry our marker in the trunk or rear of the car do we really want the super duper extra bonus of said bomb going off in such close proximity to our gass tank?

I think not.

Muzikman
01-02-2002, 05:00 PM
Even in the trunk it can not be gassed up and have ball in it. Now, I am unclear if it can be one of the other. Such as have the gun gassed up but no balls in it or have balls in it but not gassed up.

I hardly ever take my tanks off the gun, but The tanks are always turned off and the air line are usually off. I never transport my guns with balls in them (good way to break a ball and have to clean out your hopper:))

I think these laws would only come into effect if you where using the gun for mischief. I think it just give the gov one more thing to hold you on if you are ever cought shooting people or signs when driving around.

thecavemankevin
01-02-2002, 06:34 PM
thats one of the dangers of selling junk at walmart. Puts low price guns in the hands of idiots.

But you can do the same with low or high priced guns.

bunkerking
01-02-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by thecavemankevin
thats one of the dangers of selling junk at walmart. Puts low price guns in the hands of idiots.

But you can do the same with low or high priced guns.
thank you! this is what I have been saying for many years and everyone thinks that it is great that they sell them there, but I think that it is bad.

BradPalooza
01-02-2002, 10:01 PM
Hmm, I'm divided on this one. I think the intention is good but I don't know...

Let me throw a scenario at you.
You get pulled over for speeding.
You just left the paintball field and have your marker in the backseat of the car WITHOUT paint in it but the hopper is still on. The air tank is also attached to your marker since it isn't of the preset screw-in variety and removing it isn't very convenient, but the marker is degassed.

The Facts:
You have a paintball gun in your backseat
The hopper is on it
The air tank is on it
There is NO paint in it

The Question:
Do you think the officer that pulls you over is going to be willing to let you explain:
1)how a paintgun works
2)how your paintgun doesn't fit the criteria outlined by the law

Let me be clear, I think that anyone CAUGHT vandalizing with a paintgun or even worse, doing drive-bys with one, should be hammered to the fullest extent of the law. Those caught should be punished as/almost as severe as those doing it with real firearms since the potential for injury is very real.

Anyway, something to think about...

DrEvil
01-02-2002, 11:00 PM
brad is right.

TheTramp
01-03-2002, 09:19 AM
The law says that the tank either has to be removed from the gun completely or completely empty. ALSO it has to be completely empty of paintballs. You could still have a hopper on the gun it just couldn't have any paintballs in it. Brad could be subject to the law in his scenario. His tank is on the gun but we don't know if it is empty. It could be a pain in the rear for people w/o screw in tanks but sometimes honest people have to but up with inconvenience to keep others from abusing the things we use safely.

thecavemankevin
01-03-2002, 03:02 PM
i always leave the tank on my gun because it is direct output, not screw in. But i also always store it with out the air hose on the gun. I also typically store my gun in a big plastic toolbox crate in my trunk.

I guess we just have to be more cautious when packing up our gear from now on.

Eagle
01-03-2002, 05:17 PM
I wonder if this will have any effect on the "tanks" at EMR?:)

VELOCEMAG
01-03-2002, 09:09 PM
I heard today at work that we now have a simular law here in Virginia. I keep my marker in a box well out of reach whenever I travel.

thecavemankevin
01-03-2002, 10:41 PM
well if you are driving the "hell hound" about town then you might get that taken away.

Although i must admit that many times i wish i had my marker in my passenger seat that way i can just drop my window and spray some a-holes car.

paintbattler
01-04-2002, 10:08 AM
thats s pretty good law like it needs to be all together and everything when u go to the store