PDA

View Full Version : A muzzle loading paintball gun

MoeMag
02-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Okay while over in the "what are they thinking" bandana thread I was prompted by robnix’s statement of wearing an ascot tie, which gave me the thought of muzzle loading pistols duals. Thus…

A muzzle loading paintball gun

The ultimate in low profile, no feed neck required. And if you thought pump made you choose your shots, this ought to be down right revolutionary war style. FORM RANKS! READY! AIM! FIRE! :headbang:

But what really made me want to make this thread was the thought of using wadding?

If a paintball was muzzle loaded with a cotton-wadding patch or similar, making a tighter fit and no air escape from around the ball. How would that effect flight performance? Heck would that be effective enough to run through a rifled barrel? (ooooh scary I said rifled… well think about it before giving links to Mr. Tom’s rifled paintball thread.)

I think it could at least be funny.

iambored
02-03-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't know what it would do to accuracy but it would possibly be the best game ever.

txaggie08
02-03-2007, 09:54 PM
paintball barrels are machined so tightly wadding is not going to be an option. Muzzle velocities are also low enough that would have to be one aggressive rifling twist.......it would make a slug barrel look loose.

MoeMag
02-03-2007, 09:58 PM
You could make the barrel whatever size would be needed. This would def be a custom thing… ughhh…HAHA!!! No bolt required. No moving parts! Well I guess you would have to have a valve of some sort or another.

geekwarrior
02-03-2007, 10:03 PM
i'm not thinking clearly right know....but could you make a gun that shoots paintballs with the wad on the back, and the wad seperates from the ball outta the barrel....and make it bullet shaped, and clip fed? :tard:

MoeMag
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
i'm not thinking clearly right know....but could you make a gun that shoots paintballs with the wad on the back, and the wad seperates from the ball outta the barrel....and make it bullet shaped, and clip fed? :tard:

Well you got the whole wad in the back and seperates from the ball part right... but the bullet shaped and clip fed... too complicated for my world, also how would you clip feed a wadded paintball/bullet?

ttink
02-03-2007, 10:18 PM
I muzzle loaded my pump once. I just shoved a paintball down there with my squeege.

paint magnet
02-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Muzzle loading probably wouldn't turn out too well, as ramming a paintball down your barrel is likely to break it. If it doesn't break, you've probably dented it and it won't fly straight, which is not good when you've got one shot. If you want a one-shot gun, just take the feed tube off a pump marker.

Someone on here (Rambo Preacher?) Had a set of dueling pistols made by Palmer's that had no feednecks and no pump handles...just pull the bolt back and drop one in the breach.

Pump Scout
02-04-2007, 11:50 AM
Been there and done that. Some of us (VERY small group) tried out a muzzle-loading game on a speedball field here some six years ago. Ball into barrel, rod down with squeegee, fire, wash, rinse, repeat. I've never had so much fun, and laughed so much, during a game.

Ninjeff
02-04-2007, 02:25 PM
We did that at castle conquest one time. Actually a long time ago..2000 i think. Civil War style. Man it was a blast.

CrimsonGhost
02-04-2007, 03:18 PM
This is a GREAT game when you hare down toa few balls at the end of the day.
Honestly...when was the last time you were laughing so hard during a game that you couldn't realy shoot ?
This is what will happen during "civil war" ball games.
Its great fun and a awsome snap shooting pressure drill....but more fun than anything.

I think I used a shoebox shocker the last time I played this way.

weeeeeee. :cheers:

Railgun
02-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Squeegee to ram the ball? I'd think that what you really want is a suction cup off a sticky dart on a long enough ram rod. The neat thing is that you would not need a moving bolt at all. Just a cup at the end and a detent just before it so the ball sits held in place. In fact you would not even need a ram if you had a way to retract the detent momentarily. Just drop the ball in, pull out the detent for a moment to seat it and then cock the hammer that'll hit the valve. No feednecks or nothin'

Another option would be a lever bolt and no feedneck. I've got some powerfeed Piranhas that would work a treat for such a conversion. Basically cut off and deburr the power feed then mod it to be a pump action closed bolt style gun. A pump but without the pump handle. You cock back the toggle lever just like an old style bolt action rifle, load a ball in through the hole and then shove the lever forward and down.

Now either way, running around with all those loose balls to load in without breaking them would be the big trick.

The dueling pistols would be slick as heck though. If I get some of my other shop ideas out of the way I may just have to find a source of the ball sized brass tubing and have a go at something like that. The hammer and gas cup could be Nelson in style so it all fits within the one length of brass...

matteusz
02-04-2007, 11:06 PM
What you need is a detent like on the micromag. Easy to retract momentarily. Then instead of a pump action you get a hammer set up put on the thing that bumps a popet sp? valve like on the spyders. so you have to ramrod the ball then cock the gun and fire. Yeah that would be a funny game.

We played once with no hoppers but didn't limit the # of balls so it just turned out to be a slow shooting game. But still fun.

MoeMag
02-05-2007, 01:01 AM
What you need is a detent like on the micromag. Easy to retract momentarily. Then instead of a pump action you get a hammer set up put on the thing that bumps a popet sp? valve like on the spyders. so you have to ramrod the ball then cock the gun and fire. Yeah that would be a funny game.

We played once with no hoppers but didn't limit the # of balls so it just turned out to be a slow shooting game. But still fun.

HAHA!!! yes!
:cheers:

zondo
02-05-2007, 07:42 AM
Muzzle loading probably wouldn't turn out too well, as ramming a paintball down your barrel is likely to break it. If it doesn't break, you've probably dented it and it won't fly straight, which is not good when you've got one shot. If you want a one-shot gun, just take the feed tube off a pump marker.

Someone on here (Rambo Preacher?) Had a set of dueling pistols made by Palmer's that had no feednecks and no pump handles...just pull the bolt back and drop one in the breach.

I seem to remember, sometime in the mid '90s, that there was a paintball developed specifically for muzzle loading. It was the only way to load it because it had a tail set up like the back of a dart. I suppose you could clip feed that, but the breach would have to be milled specifically for it. I believe it was developed for the "sniper" style player. That's all I remember about it.

Railgun
02-05-2007, 07:30 PM
What about a break action gun like the old shotguns? Flip the barrel down, pop in a ball and snap it back up and then cock a lever on the end of the action.

Of course this brings up the idea of a DOUBLE barrel action with the two stage trigger so you get a second chance... :D

And then someone will come in with a "Henry" and ruin it all.... :shooting:

doc_Zox
02-05-2007, 07:56 PM
How about a breach loaded "flintlock"?
Where the cock hits an on/off pin and fires the charge?

For extra fun the marker could be a pump

You have to hand pump the reservoir up to 400 psi...