PDA

View Full Version : Shrinking lok-soks?

p8ntballa
01-02-2002, 01:24 PM
Is there a way to shrink them some. Mine are a little streched out and I want them a little tighter. Would boiling them shrink them a little?

drake9
01-03-2002, 02:02 AM
I for one have never boiled my lok-soks.... give it a try

Failure
01-03-2002, 10:18 AM
Thats actually a good question. In r/c car racing people said to only boil nylon rims as opposed to plastic because plastic ones will warp. I say try it out, while they are still a little hot put it on the tank. I don't know how the tanks and gas pressure react to heat but I'd say make sure the tank is empty.

kilaueakid
01-03-2002, 10:45 AM
doesn't heat expand things?

TITAN
01-03-2002, 12:47 PM
i have heard of people using a blow dryer to shrink them
they said put the lok-soks on the tank then heat them up with a blow dryer till they tighten themselves on there, but i dont know if the heat would damage fiber wrapped tanks.

brett
01-03-2002, 01:51 PM
if you boil it dont let the rubber touch the metal bowl it might melt it.

vaypourus
01-03-2002, 01:59 PM
heat expands some things....shrinks others...like shrink wrap and expensive cotton sweaters.

kilaueakid
01-03-2002, 02:52 PM
oh yeah...duhh...you are right!! I have a few sweaters that no longer fit cause of that reason!! I also just recently used shrink tubing on some wire harness. Sorry my bad. Boiling it may work, same with the blow dryers.

My teamates just put some silicon caulk(sp?) on them and that works great to hold them on.
kila

p8ntballa
01-03-2002, 05:08 PM
I remember when I used to box with my friends and i boiled my mouth piece to fit it to my teeth and it shrunk so i thought this would work. I was going to boil them, but my mom was cookin, so i used a blow dryer. It shrunk them enough to keep them from falling off easily, but it did crinkle( is that a word?) the front one's edge, but they stay on now.

PyRo
01-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Don't use glues or anything like that, you will need to remove them when the tank need a hydro.