PDA

View Full Version : Breaking balls! Chopping or shooting?

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 01:35 PM
I have the X-valve and lvl 10... but for some reason I will break two or three balls every time I go out for a day of playing. Sometimes the broken ball will break in the body and other times in the barrel and not the body...

With that being said I don't believe that it's the lvl 10 chopping balls, but my gun shooting a ball without enough pressure to get it out of the barrel and the next ball will have enough pressure and will it the other ball in the barrel and break both balls causing catastrophic paint splatter to reach the body and from barrel end to end.

Additional information…
Fixed pressure tank by PMI
Barrel bore .691
ULE body

Why am I having this problem? Is it the pressure? The tank? Short-stroking? Am I not pulling the trigger all the way down sometimes?

Thanks for the help

:cheers:

Coralis
02-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Could be some really bad paint or paint that has some problems with consistent size and shape ... i was going to suggest going to a bigger bore barrel but your shooting a .691 barrel already though you could check to ensure you have a good barrel to paint match. Does this happen only when you rapid fire or just randomly ?

Pzippy
02-05-2007, 05:32 PM
It might just be old/bad paint.

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Could be some really bad paint or paint that has some problems with consistent size and shape ... i was going to suggest going to a bigger bore barrel but your shooting a .691 barrel already though you could check to ensure you have a good barrel to paint match. Does this happen only when you rapid fire or just randomly ?

I can't specifically figure out if its random or rapid fire... but I'm just about positive its during rapid fire. The barrel is a Dye UltraLight back and a Stiffi barrel front. The balls are PMI Premium and my girlfriend uses a 68 automag with the same paint and never has a problem. This makes me think it has to be short stroking.... :confused:

lasrsktr
02-05-2007, 08:30 PM
I can't specifically figure out if its random or rapid fire... but I'm just about positive its during rapid fire. The barrel is a Dye UltraLight back and a Stiffi barrel front. The balls are PMI Premium and my girlfriend uses a 68 automag with the same paint and never has a problem. This makes me think it has to be short stroking.... :confused:

could be a possibility of your Reg starving the valve every other shot... Meaning it doesn't have a very high recharge rate.

phat4life07
02-05-2007, 08:33 PM
could be a possibility of your Reg starving the valve every other shot... Meaning it doesn't have a very high recharge rate.

i agree, try a different tank

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 09:39 PM
i agree, try a different tank

What do you suggest I use?

SkruD
02-05-2007, 09:46 PM

What is the output of your current tank?

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 10:01 PM
What is the output of your current tank?

Its a PMI 63/4500... I would guess thats about 850...

What do you suggest?

d4m4don3
02-05-2007, 10:35 PM
You know anyone with crossfire or dynaflow reg? They have a great recharge rate.

Automagrt666
02-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Nobody has said this yet so I will :). If you don't pull the trigger back all the way and make a complete trigger pull (aka shortstroking) the ball may get pushed slightly down the barrel and the next ball will hit it. I've done it a couple of times when I first got my RT, also happened on my friend's classic mag during rapid fire but it was a bad ASA we found (was restricting airflow).

Edit: Also, make sure you're not using an inline reg, it will starve the gun.

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 11:27 PM
You know anyone with crossfire or dynaflow reg? They have a great recharge rate.

I have a crossfire 68/3000 also.... but the field I play at for some reason wont fill the crossfire tanks for some reason... something to do with the fill nipple

The_Don_83
02-05-2007, 11:33 PM
Nobody has said this yet so I will :). If you don't pull the trigger back all the way and make a complete trigger pull (aka shortstroking) the ball may get pushed slightly down the barrel and the next ball will hit it. I've done it a couple of times when I first got my RT, also happened on my friend's classic mag during rapid fire but it was a bad ASA we found (was restricting airflow).

Edit: Also, make sure you're not using an inline reg, it will starve the gun.

This is what I'm thinking I"m doing... but not sure so I had to ask. Anything I can do to prevent it? ...other then practice :)

athomas
02-06-2007, 07:15 AM
After each trigger pull, you have to completely release the trigger to prevent short stroking. This could be exaggerated if there is a tiny bit of bolt stick due to a tight carrier. It might not be tight enough to stop the gun from firing, but it might be tight enough to increase the bolt cycle time.

I would check the carrier size as a first step.

Another thing that causes barrel breaks on their own is if the balls are brittle and the size is such that they fracture going into the barrel. Use a larger bore barrel if this is the case. Using a .691" barrel, you shouldn't have this problem but you never know.

The_Don_83
02-06-2007, 08:11 AM
After each trigger pull, you have to completely release the trigger to prevent short stroking. This could be exaggerated if there is a tiny bit of bolt stick due to a tight carrier. It might not be tight enough to stop the gun from firing, but it might be tight enough to increase the bolt cycle time.

I would check the carrier size as a first step.

Another thing that causes barrel breaks on their own is if the balls are brittle and the size is such that they fracture going into the barrel. Use a larger bore barrel if this is the case. Using a .691" barrel, you shouldn't have this problem but you never know.

Where can I find carrier size information?

athomas
02-06-2007, 04:48 PM
The carrier size is indicated on the outer surface of the carrier. It is designated in lines and dots. Lines represent 1 and dots represent 0.5. Eg; 2 lines and 1 dot = 2.5 carrier size.

The_Don_83
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
The carrier size is indicated on the outer surface of the carrier. It is designated in lines and dots. Lines represent 1 and dots represent 0.5. Eg; 2 lines and 1 dot = 2.5 carrier size.

I talked to Roman over at AGD tech-line... He said the carreier is fine since I can slide the bolt and valve on and off easily. He thinks it's short stroking....

He gave me a good tip! After each trigger pull try to touch the trigger guard with you're finger so you know you released the trigger all the way. :clap:

Thanks Roman! :cheers:

P.S. if the spelling is wrong on his name... sorry :)