PDA

View Full Version : So, Tom, how's it going?

Lenny
02-07-2007, 03:50 AM
Just curious as to what you've been up to lately. Discover any new dinosaur species? Have you gotten a planet named after you yet? Just relaxing and enjoying time with your family? Since you left the industry, it's seldom we get an update.

So, how's it goin'?

trevorjk
02-07-2007, 04:04 AM
you plan on coming up to Paintball Sam's big game this spring?

AutomagRT1483
02-07-2007, 10:57 AM
you plan on coming up to Paintball Sam's big game this spring?

Yeah, thats what I want to know.

gus13
02-07-2007, 12:27 PM
how 'bout Tunaball NJ in May? :cheers:

turbo chicken
02-07-2007, 12:34 PM
My source told me that the cocker elves are holding him hostage .... my source also told me that a new AGD electro was on the way ...

go figure ...

behemoth
02-07-2007, 12:59 PM
how 'bout Tunaball NJ in May? :cheers:

If i remember correctly, he was invited and is unable to attend.

Lenny
02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
My source told me that the cocker gnomes are holding him hostage .... my source also told me that a new AGD electro was on the way ...

go figure ...
Fixed.

'Cockers have gnomes. We've got the elves.

MoeMag
02-07-2007, 06:04 PM
Fixed.

Elves do good things, that’s why they work for Santa and live in automags.
Gnomes guard things… thus why they are in gardens keeping veggies safe, and stand outside Dye and Smartparts.
Gremlins are the ones that make mechanical problems.
http://home.earthlink.net/~yellowbirdblog/images/Gremlin.jpg

Autococker gremlins.

Gosh.

AGD
02-08-2007, 12:36 AM
As I have told you all before I watch the forum every day and if you ask I appear. I do post occasionally if the thread is interesting.

LOTS going on here. Since you asked here is the overview, grab a Coke.

Bought a house in Sierra Vista Arizona and now I have the daunting task of packing my shop up to move. Its going to be about 2 semi's worth and that doesn't include my house. The place has perfect weather year round and great for astronomy.

I am trying to finish my giant telescope mirror before we move but its looking iffy. The thing is kicking my butt and this is my third try at getting the right figure. Need to make the telescope before we can discover a planet.

Speaking of astronomy, I was invited to join a team out of Northwestern University that is doing a research project for NASA developing light weight telescope mirrors for space. Very cool and very leading edge. I am proud to be part of the team.

Have a controversy cooking in paleontology. If you remember back in 2005 Dr. Mary Schweitzer discovered "soft tissues" preserved in dino bone and it was huge news all over the world. I started looking into it and discovered evidence that says they are biofilms or "slime" like you see on rocks in streams. I presented the evidence at a conference last fall and it got a mention in Science magazine which is a big deal. We are now scheduled for back to back talks at another conference in april. More to come on this one.

Working with world famous Paul Sereno on a new discovery of an ancient graveyard of hunter/gatherers from Africa. I an doing analysis of tools and grave goods. I cant say much here but you will be able to read all about it in National Geographic.

Just invented a fully automatic sorter for micro-fossils. It uses laser flouresence, machine vision and a feed system to automatically sort out small fossils from gravel. This is the first time anything like this has been done. Its totally patentable but I am probably going to make a big mistake and give it to paleontology as public domain (and hope someone doesn't patent something similar later and screw things up). See a demo here autopicker (http://tomkaye.com/autopicker/autopicker.htm)

Doing an expedition for the Burke Museum this summer and going to hang out with my buddies from the Smithsonian after. Working on writing a paper for Science and if they accept it, that will be a big deal because I am essentially an 'amateur'.

So thats the news!

AGD

trevorjk
02-08-2007, 12:42 AM
wow :wow:

so are you going to join the team from Northwestern? or just kinda keep in touch? or were you just flattered by the offer and wanted to share?

and erm... so any chance of an "archeological dig" in Racine County about 1 mile west of I-94 from may 5th to may 6th? :p or is the schedule busy busy?

Rudz
02-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Just invented a fully automatic sorter for micro-fossils. It uses laser flouresence, machine vision and a feed system to automatically sort out small fossils from gravel. This is the first time anything like this has been done. Its totally patentable but I am probably going to make a big mistake and give it to paleontology as public domain (and hope someone doesn't patent something similar later and screw things up). See a demo here autopicker (http://tomkaye.com/autopicker/autopicker.htm)

Doing an expedition for the Burke Museum this summer and going to hang out with my buddies from the Smithsonian after. Working on writing a paper for Science and if they accept it, that will be a big deal because I am essentially an 'amateur'.

So thats the news!

AGD

deja vu?

PsychoBaller
02-08-2007, 12:43 AM
TK: Awesome stuff, simply awesome! You definately have "the life"

:cheers:

-baller

warbeak2099
02-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Tom you are such a cool human being. Btw, you following this Turkana Boy business that's going on in Kenya? I thought Lucy was the oldest prehistoric human ever found?

Head knight of Ni
02-08-2007, 01:13 AM
I thought Lucy was the oldest prehistoric human ever found?

Not human.

geekwarrior
02-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Bought a house in Sierra Vista Arizona and now I have the daunting task of packing my shop up to move. Its going to be about 2 semi's worth and that doesn't include my house. The place has perfect weather year round and great for astronomy.

AGD

you're a busy man. Arizona huh? thats with in driving distance for our next norcal vs socal game. wanna come? :D

Tao
02-08-2007, 01:40 AM
As I have told you all before I watch the forum every day and if you ask I appear. I do post occasionally if the thread is interesting.

LOTS going on here. Since you asked here is the overview, grab a Coke.

I am trying to finish my giant telescope mirror before we move but its looking iffy. The thing is kicking my butt and this is my third try at getting the right figure. Need to make the telescope before we can discover a planet.

Speaking of astronomy, I was invited to join a team out of Northwestern University that is doing a research project for NASA developing light weight telescope mirrors for space. Very cool and very leading edge.

Have a controversy cooking in paleontology. If you remember back in 2005 Dr. Mary Schweitzer discovered "soft tissues" preserved in dino bone and it was huge news all over the world. I started looking into it and discovered evidence that says they are biofilms or "slime" like you see on rocks in streams. I presented the evidence at a conference last fall and it got a mention in Science magazine which is a big deal. We are now scheduled for back to back talks at another conference in april. More to come on this one.

Working with world famous Paul Sereno on a new discovery of an ancient graveyard of hunter/gatherers from Africa. I an doing analysis of tools and grave goods. I cant say much here but you will be able to read all about it in National Geographic.

So thats the news!

AGD

Wow.

So what do you plan to do when you retire (not just from paint ball)? :P

Lenny
02-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Jeez. That's a ton going on! And I thought my life was crazy. :tard:

Thanks for the update. I will be carefully reading my Popular Mechanics, National Geographic, and Science magazines. ;)

Maybe we'll have some cool article scans to post later.

PumpMag
02-08-2007, 03:10 AM
Tom Kaye (AGD) Because Quality Always Shoots Straight and Beyond! :shooting:

Good to hear you are doing well and up to new innovations. :headbang:

Since you are so close to California, you are more than welcome to join us in any AO Paintball Events here in California.

MoeMag
02-08-2007, 03:12 AM

When the DNA from the soft tissue was published on NCBI (about 2003) I ran a comparative analysis against the rest of the database, for my junior honors biology paper. I said in my paper that this was just a case of the lab tech not washing his hands after using the bathroom while handling the material. I remember that the closet match to the sequence was some type of bacteria that was collected from the intestines of something or another.

BTW… Welcome to AZ. You will find that there are a lot of people from Chicago here (they finally decided to thaw out). Are you going to be doing any work at Graham LBT or Kitt peak?

paintballfiend
02-08-2007, 12:34 PM
What college did Tom graduate from?

turbo chicken
02-08-2007, 01:39 PM
TK - I have read snippits here and there about what you were up to but i never imagined ... i really thought that all of that stuff was a joke ... is it???

your adventures remind me of the uncle in fraggle rock that wrote letters on what he was doing ...

Fixed.

There are quite a few post that say cocker's have elves ... use search and see for yourself ... some of the old and really good post have been deleted :(

Elves do good things, that’s why they work for Santa and live in automags.
Gnomes guard things… thus why they are in gardens keeping veggies safe, and stand outside Dye and Smartparts.
Gremlins are the ones that make mechanical problems.
Autococker gremlins.
Gosh.

if I remember correctly i remember reading some talk on gnomes taking residence in mags ...

It hasn't been done for a while so ... i'm opening a thread on it (when i get home)... take a vote ... and see where we as a community stand on the subject ....

onedude36
02-08-2007, 08:28 PM
I know its more than a small drive, but if you ever come to my local field, that would be rediculously cool. 23bps.com

WOHO tom lives in the same state as me :clap:

olinar
02-08-2007, 10:32 PM
i feel honored to have you living with all of us in az. im also from illinois.more specific the lincolnwood area in chicago.arizona is just the right place for astronomy, you know my school(chandler high school) has a astronomy night where a few scientists bring the high powered telescopes and we all gaze at the stars.itd be awesome if youd come next year.

thefool
02-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Any reason why you wouldnt patent it, and then make it available to anyone who wants to use it at no charge?

Or patent it, and charge a very nominal licensing fee to cover patent maintenance charges?

Noble gestures can be made while protecting yourself. Hope you do.
qft

Rudz
02-08-2007, 11:21 PM
Tom Kaye (AGD) Because Quality Always Shoots Straight and Beyond! :shooting:

Good to hear you are doing well and up to new innovations. :headbang:

Since you are so close to California, you are more than welcome to join us in any AO Paintball Events here in California.

yeah if you made it to socal it would be great..

Lenny
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM
I know its more than a small drive, but if you ever come to my local field, that would be rediculously cool. 23bps.com

WOHO tom lives in the same state as me :clap:
WOHO?

You mean, "woo hoo!" right?

/jus' sayin'

edweird
02-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Tk if you need some help in AZ just fire me a line on my @luke.af.mil email... at very least I can try and wrangle up some of the rest of the Az crew.

d4m4don3
02-09-2007, 10:40 AM
I think AO AZ is going to have to start setting up some meet & greets. :D

It is now home to our illustrious leader! :hail:

Muzikman
02-09-2007, 11:17 AM
So Tom, when is the Meet and Greet at the new house? Ya know, some of us miss the late night mind stimulating talks. :)

paintballfiend
02-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Does Tom even want to play anymore, or is this a stupid question...
please don't ban me. :(

Miscue
02-09-2007, 03:51 PM
Let me know if you ever need a pro bono computer science guy.

skipdogg
02-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Agreed, party at Toms house.
Congrats on all your other interests.

Gotcha3
02-09-2007, 09:30 PM
Good luck with everything Tom. You deserve nothing but success!

JimmyBeam
02-09-2007, 10:27 PM
So Tom, you moved here to Sierra Vista?

Well well, let me be the first to welcome you to town. I've been here since 92 myself. Nice town, great to raise kids in. And the weather....well I'm sure I don;t need to tell you about that.

Shoot me a PM if you need any info about the area or if you just want someone to go grab a beer with.

Welcome once again