PDA

View Full Version : Darwins evolution, coming through again

koleah
02-07-2007, 12:47 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/ptech/02/07/nyc.ipod.reut/index.html

New York State Sen. Carl Kruger says three pedestrians in his Brooklyn district have been killed since September upon stepping into traffic while distracted by an electronic device. In one case bystanders screamed "watch out" to no avail.

Just seems like natural selection doing its job.

tech-chan
02-07-2007, 01:33 PM
LOL, what idiots

warbeak2099
02-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Oh because I guess an mp3 player makes it unable to USE YOUR BLOODY EYES and WATCH WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

slade
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
wait... so now everyone risks paying a $100 fine for listening to music... because 3 idiots walked into traffic?

behemoth
02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
wait... so now everyone risks paying a $100 fine for listening to music... because 3 idiots walked into traffic?

You, cartwheels, traffic, now.

cyrus-the-virus
02-07-2007, 02:17 PM
I saw that,

I wonder how long we have until we are all restricted to rubbepadded homes, because it is to dangrous to walk around outside.

slade
02-07-2007, 02:21 PM
You, cartwheels, traffic, now.
theres this game some random kid from newton showed me.

its the best game evar.

you get a group of friends together, and air filled balls from wallmart.

then you find a busy intersection.

and throw the ball into it, and everyone tries to get the ball.

//speaking of that, ill be at BPS tonight.

jenarelJAM
02-10-2007, 03:28 PM
Can I see the statistic of people who walked into traffic and were hit by cars who were <i>not</i> wearing ipods now please?
Really, if you're going to have a statistic, you've got to show a control... Otherwise it means nothing.

It's exactly like what they're doing in california. A major statistic was "there were 1078 reported car accidents from people talking on cell phones, but only 56 from people using hands-free devices"(statistics are off, btw, but you get the idea). Well... if people actually thought about that, and realized that nobody actually uses hand-free cell phones around here, so there are fewer of them on the road, and therefore, fewer to get in accidents... they would realize that that is a skewed statistic. Well... next year it will be illigal to talk on your cell while driving w/o a handsfree... I hate ignorance...

slade
02-10-2007, 03:53 PM
Can I see the statistic of people who walked into traffic and were hit by cars who were <i>not</i> wearing ipods now please?
Really, if you're going to have a statistic, you've got to show a control... Otherwise it means nothing.

It's exactly like what they're doing in california. A major statistic was "there were 1078 reported car accidents from people talking on cell phones, but only 56 from people using hands-free devices"(statistics are off, btw, but you get the idea). Well... if people actually thought about that, and realized that nobody actually uses hand-free cell phones around here, so there are fewer of them on the road, and therefore, fewer to get in accidents... they would realize that that is a skewed statistic. Well... next year it will be illigal to talk on your cell while driving w/o a handsfree... I hate ignorance...
considering the prevalence of statistical evidence used to support legislation... an intro to statistics class, at the least, should be mandatory before registering to vote.

/98% of uninformed voters have not taken a statistics class
//that sounds like a PBN signature.
///...just if you add in a drug reference.
////and remove any semblance of intelligence.

Lenny
02-10-2007, 04:56 PM
...98% of uninformed voters have not taken a statistics class...
87.012% of the population do not know why I made this silly post and wasted your time.

:ninja:

slade
02-10-2007, 06:21 PM
87.012% of the population do not know why I made this silly post and wasted your time.

:ninja:
and thus 12.988% are intuitive enough to know that you have no life.

geekwarrior
02-10-2007, 06:22 PM
did you know that 78% of statistics are wrong?

koleah
02-10-2007, 10:51 PM
did you know that 78% of statistics are wrong?

I thought that 78% of statistics were made up on the spot....

bleachit
02-10-2007, 11:50 PM
I thought it was 75%...

/searches out old Simpsons episodes

tribalman
02-11-2007, 07:26 PM
if 3/4 of all stats are made up on the spot, and 4/3 people have problems with fractions, where does that leave us?

Head knight of Ni
02-11-2007, 08:42 PM
if 3/4 of all stats are made up on the spot, and 4/3 people have problems with fractions, where does that leave us?

An improper statistic? Either that or the third grade, after five tries.

jenarelJAM
02-11-2007, 10:02 PM
considering the prevalence of statistical evidence used to support legislation... an intro to statistics class, at the least, should be mandatory before registering to vote.

/98% of uninformed voters have not taken a statistics class
//that sounds like a PBN signature.
///...just if you add in a drug reference.
////and remove any semblance of intelligence.
Heh, I've never taken a stat class... :P

Carbon
02-12-2007, 03:41 AM
HAHAH! i call those people highly muggable.

Thordic
02-12-2007, 08:13 AM
I almost walked into a train once because I had headphones on. Stupid light rail.