PDA

View Full Version : Can I run a minimag on co2?

tech-chan
02-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Like the title says. I want to run it on co2, do I need anything special for it, or do I just stick it on there?

Jaan
02-08-2007, 02:35 PM
There are already a lot of threads about this, but basically yes, if it's a "classic" valve than you can. MiniMag valves are included in this group. They were made in the day when CO2 was used everywhere.

You just have to keep liquid CO2 out of the valve. You do this by using an expansion chamber, remote line, or do it old school style, looping a long hose 2 or 3 times around before it gets to the valve. Again, there are a ton of older threads about this.

tech-chan
02-08-2007, 03:02 PM
Sorry, I think Im gonna get a expansion chamber, whats the best one? Also I heard a little while ago that you could put some kind of reg on your gun and it would do the same thing... Is that true?

tech-chan
02-08-2007, 04:16 PM
Hello?

Coralis
02-08-2007, 08:15 PM
The best regulator for keeping liquid Co2 out of a mag is a palmer stabilizer. As far as expansion chambers most of the really good ones are out of production as compressed air is the gas of choice so basically there are few options left , I think ACI and PMI still make them but im not sure

don miguel
02-08-2007, 08:34 PM
yes you can. :cheers:

Jaan
02-08-2007, 08:37 PM
This isn't Paintball Nation, you'll have to be a little patient with the response time. You'll get less replies, but better one.

ACI made some nice expansion chambers, you can still find them new. Anything with a few "stages" will be all right. If you run a CO2 tank horizontally get an anti syphon tube installed at you local shop as well.

Kloki1971
02-08-2007, 08:42 PM
tech-
the best thing to buy for your mag after the inital investment is a nitro or compressed air tank (they are the same thing). If you are planning on spending $20-40 on an expansion chamber and $20-30 on a CO2 tank (20oz), you may as well spend $70-80 on an air tank. The classic valve does not handle CO2 that well. You will greatly appreciate the versatility of an air tank. You can play in any weather, you never have to worry about a major velocity change (due to lack of expansion in a long string of shots), and you don't have to worry about your gun freezing up. This was an adjustment for me as I played the game 10 yrs ago when the only option was CO2. It has greatly helped with performance! The only downside to compressed air is that not all fields are equipped to fill these tanks, but as it becomes more of the standard, more fields are setting up for it. I expect eventually CO2 will be a thing of the past. Save yourself a lot of headaches and buy an old steel (in hydro) 68 cubic inch, 3000 psi tank. They cost about $60-80 new, but you can find them for lower. There are various sizes of tanks (generally they are listed by cubic inches and psi (ie 68/3000, or 48/3000, 70/4500) the more the cubic inches the longer the tank lasts. The higher the psi mean generally the smaller the tank. There are two types pf tanks steel (like CO2 canisters) and carbonfiber. Carbonfiber are extemely light, and tend to be small (sometimes called peanuts). They are much more expensive, and are much more delicate. the steel are cheaper, but weigh significantly more. If you buy one there are no modifications that need to be make to your AM or Minimag. The classic valve will work fine with HPA (High Pressure Air another name for compressed air!). I know if may all seem like a lot, but if you have questions feel free to contact me either on this thread or you can PM me. I'm not gonna say I'm a master of all things automag, but I'm willing to share what I do know.

Good Luck! :cool:

Jaan
02-09-2007, 04:11 AM
Classic valves run just fine on CO2. I've been running my first 'Mag exclusively on CO2 for over 12 years since it was new out of the box.

For most of those years I ran that gun with just an expansion chamber and anti syphon without a problem. I now run it with remote. I never experienced a "major velocity change" due to the built in regulator in the valve. You just can't play in the cold, or at least shoot fast when it's cold. Most of us play in mild temperatures or warmer.

Both HPA and CO2 have advantages and disadvantages. You get more shots per physical tank size with CO2, and that's a major advantage with a gas hog like an Automag. That's a consideration if you're not at a field with free all day air, and playing with just your friends out in the woods someplace. Initial cost is also less, you can set yourself up with a 20oz tank and expansion chamber for $40 new. Much less if you get an expansion chamber used. My local store installs anti-syphon tubes for $4.

Kloki1971
02-09-2007, 10:05 AM
jaan,

I agree it is possible to run on CO2 with a mag, but I think after all of the investment one would be better off with compressed air. This is one of those things that depends on personal prefs. I have a backup that is set up for CO2 and it runs fine (temperature withstanding). I agree that it can be done, I just prefer compressed to CO2. I ran CO2 for many years before I stopped playing for awhile and never had problems. At the time I lived in a warmer area, but I had my marker set up with 6' of braided line, an expansion chamber, a siphon, and had the bottle setup vertically. Here in NM (Albuquerque), in the winter we get snow and temperatures can be in the 40's for a high. With CO2, I would have to really shoot conservatively and maybe even add the old hand warmer trick to keep the conversion from liquid to gas up. I agree that CO2 is more efficient (by volume). So tech- it's really up to you, I'm just offering my opinion. We all know what opinions are like!

Kino

tech-chan
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
Im thinking ca for now, its pretty cold where I play, so... I think that would be the best descion. Im still gonna need a front grip, whose got one? I also need a trigger rod, sear and pin. trigger rod and pin should be: On/Off Pin: .750", Trigger Rod: 1.985". I'll also need a tank, so whose got a 68 cubic inch, 3000 psi tank? Ill post this in wtb when I get the time, thanks guys, tech-chan

tech-chan
02-09-2007, 10:47 AM
Also I can get co2 for free, while I would have to pay for ca...

nathanjones008
02-09-2007, 01:36 PM
co2 works some times/ vs. n2 works all the time. you do the math.

Jaan
02-12-2007, 03:36 AM
co2 works some times/ vs. n2 works all the time. you do the math.You're in Georgia, how often does it get so cold that CO2 won't work?

tech-chan
02-12-2007, 10:10 AM
Thats what I thought, Im in NC.

Aslan
02-27-2007, 12:16 AM
All I can tell you is that I had an expansion chamber on mine, the valve froze.

Another guy I know had a palmers on his minimag, the valve would freeze.

And at least 3 times a month there's a post in this forum about valve stick from CO2.

I know people have gotten CO2 to work with a combination of regs or X-chambers and anti-syphon tubes and remote coils. But unless you just really have no access to a paintball store for air refills, I really would suggest compressed air. You can get a pure energy 3000psi tank for $78. It's more expensive to fill, but I've never had bolt freeze with compressed air and that's worth every penny. :clap:

tech-chan
02-27-2007, 01:42 PM
Thanks.

turbo chicken
02-27-2007, 02:07 PM
i have played with both ... and in cold weather i have issues with c02"if" and only if I rapid fire ... if you shoot as fast as you can and you play in sub 40* weather i'd recommend HPA ...

Every time i have had issues with Co2 i was shooting as fast as i could and non stop in cold weather ... i've yet to run into an issue in warmer weather.

Keep in mind my set up has always been a hose straight from the ASA on the grip to the valve ... guess and x-chamber or equivilent might have helped a little ... i can't deny that fact...

in the end it's your preference... i'd say that you wouldn't be asking if HPA was feesible for you ... so get an x chamber and see what happens ... you can get one for 20.00 ...

Thotograph
03-01-2007, 10:43 PM
my biggest beef when i ran co2 (w/ remote) on my mag b.i.t.d. was that my butt would get really freaking cold during an intense firefight... and then this snowcone thing would form on the outside of my pack. i'm in florida so i never ran into the cold weather bugs.

however, i'm very much enjoying the benefits of the hpa now. my e-cocker and my rt run great. they're never starved of air during rapid fire and they shoot very consistent over a chrono. i just bought a classic valve assembly in case i have to use co2, i've got a remote but i need a stock.