PDA

View Full Version : Autococker (a little OT)

chip08
02-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Ok, so I inherited a 2K3 autococker, and I have never owned one before. Put new hoses on the pneumatics, lubbed it and when I gassed her the ram actuated, driving the block back fully. And that it where it stays, fully cocked in the rear position. What do I do from here?

Maybe I'll just make it a pump if this fix costs too much...

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-12-2007, 12:09 PM
Ok, so I inherited a 2K3 autococker, and I have never owned one before. Put new hoses on the pneumatics, lubbed it and when I gassed her the ram actuated, driving the block back fully. And that it where it stays, fully cocked in the rear position. What do I do from here?

Maybe I'll just make it a pump if this fix costs too much...

It has been a really long time since I last worked on a cocker but lets give this a try.
First off is it doing this when you pull the trigger or just when you put air though it? If it’s when you pull the trigger I would make sure that either the cocking rod or the piston in the ram isn't bent. I've had them bend ever so slightly and stick. Be careful not all ram can be rebuilt. If its when you gas up the gun without pulling the trigger its prolly that you have the hoses running to the ram backwards so that instead of being forced closed wile the 3way is in the off position its being forced open. Hope this helps

:cheers:

chip08
02-12-2007, 12:36 PM
It has been a really long time since I last worked on a cocker but lets give this a try.
First off is it doing this when you pull the trigger or just when you put air though it? If it’s when you pull the trigger I would make sure that either the cocking rod or the piston in the ram isn't bent. I've had them bend ever so slightly and stick. Be careful not all ram can be rebuilt. If its when you gas up the gun without pulling the trigger its prolly that you have the hoses running to the ram backwards so that instead of being forced closed wile the 3way is in the off position its being forced open. Hope this helps

Rock on, I'll give that try tonight. Thanks!

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Rock on, I'll give that try tonight. Thanks!

I just purchased a 2k2 autococker and had the same problem.

I switched the 1st and 3rd hoses on the 3way (actually 4 way) and she worked like a charm.

chip08
02-12-2007, 11:21 PM
Ok, so I switched the 1st and 3rd hoses. Now she wont cock, and it seems as if the ram is holding the block forward (against the body), resisting effort to pull the block back.

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Ok, so I switched the 1st and 3rd hoses. Now she wont cock, and it seems as if the ram is holding the block forward (against the body), resisting effort to pull the block back.

you need to do a search on timing your autococker.

There are a number of steps needed to make it work properly.

I will try to find the sites I used. But do a search and you will find some.

It is way to indepth (in my opinion) to be answered problem by problem.

GroovYChickeN 2.o
02-13-2007, 08:22 AM

When tuned properly the ram will hold the back block forward. When you pull the trigger does it try to push the back block back but just kind of puffs at you? Try adjusting your LPR. If it's not feeding enough pressure to the 3way it won't cycle the ram. It's hard to say what exactly the problem is without seeing the gun itself. :tard: The more detailed you can get the better.

Also, smoothice is right. If it is a timing issue that would be really hard to do over the forms. I'm sure there are plenty of sights with vids on how to time a cocker. It's not hard just takes time, very much a trial and error kind of process.

Again, I hope this helps!

calebh
02-13-2007, 09:30 AM
ya, lots of adjustments when it comes to timing a cocker... but its not as bad as some say. if you're mechanically inclined at all, its pretty easy, just time consuming. ive always thought it was fun. but thats just me lol

RobOpel
02-13-2007, 10:28 AM
When youre looking into timing, check out mostly the 3way actuator rod sections, it sounds like it just needs some adjustment, too far in or too far back at rest (I dont know if you have a hinge or not...). Also, at this time it'll probably be a good idea to put a little grease on your 3way rod (the one inside the 3way). I use white lithium grease, the same stuff as shocker lube, but I got an 8 oz tube at home depot for $6 or something. This will help prevent the dreaded 3way leak. Im currently trying to get my '97 minicocker back in working order, so I kinda feel you.
Rob

phat4life07
02-13-2007, 01:43 PM
cockertech.com
moodypaintball.com

goodluck

AlphaPaintballRef2
02-13-2007, 02:47 PM
It sounds like your three way is fubar to me. Try adjusting the 3 way actuator rod. If that doesn't work take the three way apart, lube the o-rings and make sure the o-ring carrier type things are in the right order. The first time I took one apart they fell out and it took me an hour to figure out what order they went back in (I was having the same problem you were having when I was screwing with the three way).
Make sure to read the websites on timing. Moodypaintball.com is the site I used to learn everything I know about cockers and he has a very nice, detailed, step by step timing guide. OT: He shows up at the field I play at up here every now and again...really cool guy who knows his stuff!
There's also a cool flash interactive timing guide online somewhere. I have it bookmarked at home...I'll post it after work. Its on PBN as well (their cocker stickies are actually pretty good, check there too).
Good luck!

chip08
02-13-2007, 04:42 PM
It sounds like your three way is fubar to me. Try adjusting the 3 way actuator rod. If that doesn't work take the three way apart, lube the o-rings and make sure the o-ring carrier type things are in the right order. The first time I took one apart they fell out and it took me an hour to figure out what order they went back in (I was having the same problem you were having when I was screwing with the three way).
Make sure to read the websites on timing. Moodypaintball.com is the site I used to learn everything I know about cockers and he has a very nice, detailed, step by step timing guide. OT: He shows up at the field I play at up here every now and again...really cool guy who knows his stuff!
There's also a cool flash interactive timing guide online somewhere. I have it bookmarked at home...I'll post it after work. Its on PBN as well (their cocker stickies are actually pretty good, check there too).
Good luck!

I found the flash animation, it is helpful. I'm pretty sure my three way is messed up. I'm gonna see if I can't find another one sitting around our shop.

SR_matt
02-13-2007, 05:00 PM
what 3 way is on it, i didnt see it beign mentioned but i really barely even skimmed the other responces, you might have put the hosesd on backwards.

timing is really easy and that animation you found will help you a lot, i like to have "suction timing" where when you shoot the marker the feedneck sucks air into the breach. best way to test it is with a piece of tissue over teh feedneck and just keep adjusting the 3 way untill the tissue gets sucked it. (also limits short stroking since verything is so close)

feel free to pm me if you need any advice on it, ive shot a cocker for 3 years and have rebuilt many cockers

-matt

chip08
02-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Problem solved. I still like my mags better...

Smoothice
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Problem solved. I still like my mags better...

Yeah, I just turned my 2k2 autococker into a sniper. Much easier and cheaper then doing it to my mag.

Railgun
02-14-2007, 09:38 PM
For those of us that are fans of Rube Goldberg's great feats of engineering the cockers are magical and are a venerated way to propel a paintball.

After all, where else could you see what is a compressed air powered steam engine being used in this way? There's a compressed gas source, a timing contoller and a cylinder and piston. I could put all these things together to turn a flywheel in an evening and have a great little model steam/compressed air engine.

-Shade-
02-15-2007, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I just turned my 2k2 autococker into a sniper. Much easier and cheaper then doing it to my mag.