PDA

View Full Version : new truck! well, new to me.

skife
02-12-2007, 11:43 AM
its a '92 toyota truck
4cylinder 22RE, 5speed, 4x4.

31" michelin A/T tires

3" body lift

right now it has some idleing issues and it leaking coolant but i only paied $400 for it.

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/7972/truck3cr8.jpg

Remington
02-12-2007, 04:03 PM
Not bad for only $400. :clap:

Any plans for it, or is it just going to be a daily driver?

billybob_81067
02-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah, nice snag for $400! I love bargains like that. :D

WickeDKlowN
02-12-2007, 04:23 PM
Nice find. I wish I could find a $400 4x4. I almost bought a Bronco for $500 a few months ago, but it was a little too rusty for my tastes.

skife
02-12-2007, 06:10 PM
right now, plans are a rollbar in the bed just for looks maybe some KC daylighters on it.
it'll also give me a place to mount the fullsize spare tire, it came with a brushguard for the front i plan on modding it a bit, the previous owner made some mods to it to stringthen it, but the welds look like poo so i'll probably come up with somthing better. I also want to build a back bumper for it because there isn't one on it.

thats all i can think of for now, it really depends on how into wheeling i want to get.

punkncat
02-12-2007, 07:50 PM
Given its year I would assume it has fuel injection rather than a carb.....those Toyota carb are the worst to work on.
I would suggest from my experiance with them to check all your vacuum hose. Thats w/o knowing ANYTHING else about what is going on.

Luckily that should have a "down flow" radiator, so leaking a bit of coolant shouldn't be immediately pressing unless its a big leak. Just keep your overflow tank full.

The 22R is a great little engine. Should give you many miles of reliable performance. Toy's 5 speed gearbox is good as well. Get the kinks worked out and you should have a very nice truck there. Another plus side is that there were/are many of them on the road, so parts new and used will be easy to come by.

skife
02-12-2007, 08:39 PM
Given its year I would assume it has fuel injection rather than a carb.....those Toyota carb are the worst to work on.
I would suggest from my experiance with them to check all your vacuum hose. Thats w/o knowing ANYTHING else about what is going on.

Luckily that should have a "down flow" radiator, so leaking a bit of coolant shouldn't be immediately pressing unless its a big leak. Just keep your overflow tank full.

The 22R is a great little engine. Should give you many miles of reliable performance. Toy's 5 speed gearbox is good as well. Get the kinks worked out and you should have a very nice truck there. Another plus side is that there were/are many of them on the road, so parts new and used will be easy to come by.

its got a 22RE and its fuel injected, i've got some idea's on what it is, i'll figure it out this weekend when i get home.

maxama10
12-26-2007, 04:59 PM
update?

skife
12-26-2007, 07:27 PM
oh geeze lol.

i still have the truck.

i was driving it back in febuary a few days after i got it a freeze plug rusted out and got real real hot and warped the head and toasted the rings.

so... new head, new cam, new timing set, new cap, new rotor, new head, new plugs and wires.
ran like crap. burned lots of oil....

replaced TPS then replaced the fuel filter then the pump, started running good, but crappy compression.

so about a month ago i was driving along, blew a front main seal, motor seized... uggh...

put a motor in it from an 84 and finally just got it running again about 2 weeks ago.

future plans include either selling it or a 3RZ swap from a tacoma

maxama10
12-27-2007, 01:24 AM
Oh lol. Sounds like $$$$ pit

That sucks. :-/

Good luck

skife
12-27-2007, 04:30 AM
Oh lol. Sounds like $$$$ pit

That sucks. :-/

Good luck

thanks man, it just started missing tonight...

*#(@#A&$(@*(#$*(!*(A(%(&#*(# money pit...

i'd really like to do a 3RZ swap, OBD II would be extremely nice in troubleshooting.

maxama10
12-27-2007, 12:51 PM
Why not a 22RE?

Theyre pretty cheap and reliable. Easy to find parts for etc...

Of course, not a ton of power...but.... as far as $ goes, I think its a good deal

skife
12-27-2007, 09:52 PM
Why not a 22RE?

Theyre pretty cheap and reliable. Easy to find parts for etc...

Of course, not a ton of power...but.... as far as $ goes, I think its a good deal

i already have a 22RE.

i want more power and better gas mileage.

and you can do a 3RZ swap with minor mods.

maxama10
12-28-2007, 04:14 PM
Oops, yeah I see that now. Hmm. Well keep us posted. :)

skife
02-04-2008, 04:55 AM
truck is sold.

Wireing issues, I was sick of it breaking on me every few weeks.

i'm sure it would have been a better truck had it been taken care of, or i had the money to fix it right.

its in a better home now.