PDA

View Full Version : Bad accuracy and consistency?!? How??

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Ok... I thought it was the barrel so I bought a new one and I'm still having problems with my accuracy and consistency. What is the problem? Tank, barrel, I need a regulator, valve?

Here is what I'm using...

X-valve with lvl 10
Ultralite barrel Back
Stiffi carbon fiber Front
PMI 68/3000 steel tank
Shocktech Drop with on/off
PMI Premium Paintballs

Please help me figure out why I'm having such a problem with my shots hitting the same spot and getting some distance. :cheers:

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 01:08 PM
from everything I have read it is probably your paint to barrel match.

It is one of Tom's tech tips

Found here:
toms bore sizing tips (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/02_boresize.shtml)

A new barrel is nice but it still needs to match the size of your paint.

Good luck.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
from everything I have read it is probably your paint to barrel match.

It is one of Tom's tech tips

Found here:
toms bore sizing tips (http://www.automags.org/resource/tech/tomstech/02_boresize.shtml)

A new barrel is nice but it still needs to match the size of your paint.

Good luck.

The balls are PMI Premium and the barrel bore is .692

Any ideas?

MANN
02-12-2007, 01:35 PM
the balls may be quality balls, but are probally too big or small

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 01:40 PM

Any ideas?

Step 1: When you put a ball into the barrel (push it past the wire nubbin) does the ball roll out of the barrel?

If so then the paint is too small for that barrel. Either buy bigger paint or get a smaller barrel.

If the paint does not roll out of the barrel go Step 2

Step 2: With ball in barrel (pushed past wire nubbin). You should be able to blow the ball out of the barrel just using your mouth.

If the paint goes flying out you have good paint to barrel match and everything I have told you is not your problem.

If the paint does not go flying out and is stuck inside your barrel then your paint is too large for that barrel.

Either buy smaller paint or get a bigger barrel.

Good luck.

EDIT: All the above steps should be done with the barrel off of the gun.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 02:00 PM
Step 1: When you put a ball into the barrel (push it past the wire nubbin) does the ball roll out of the barrel?

If so then the paint is too small for that barrel. Either buy bigger paint or get a smaller barrel.

If the paint does not roll out of the barrel go Step 2

Step 2: With ball in barrel (pushed past wire nubbin). You should be able to blow the ball out of the barrel just using your mouth.

If the paint goes flying out you have good paint to barrel match and everything I have told you is not your problem.

If the paint does not go flying out and is stuck inside your barrel then your paint is too large for that barrel.

Either buy smaller paint or get a bigger barrel.

Good luck.

EDIT: All the above steps should be done with the barrel off of the gun.

I have the ULE body so I use cocker barrel so no nubins... but the ball can roll right through the barrel. :nono:

I need bigger balls... :dance:

Thanks man :cheers:

Pneumagger
02-12-2007, 02:06 PM
You got small balls my friend... :argh:

I always find a good substitute for small balls is to throw them around more often. :spit_take
Just shoot more paint per the TK Accuracy by Volume theorm

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
You got small balls my friend... :argh:

I always find a good substitute for small balls is to throw them around more often. :spit_take
Just shoot more paint per the TK Accuracy by Volume theorm

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I tried that... I ended up using a $50 box of 2000 balls in 3hrs and needs more for the rest of the day just isn't fun...

And this paint is their PMI Premium paint at the field... they sell some no name white box... Are those no-name white boxes normally bigger balls or smaller?

:cheers:

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 02:11 PM
I have the ULE body so I use cocker barrel so no nubins... but the ball can roll right through the barrel. :nono:

I need bigger balls... :dance:

Thanks man :cheers:

Glad I could help.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Are those no-name white boxes of field paint you can get at most fields normally bigger balls or smaller balls then the Premium?

:confused:

Pneumagger
02-12-2007, 02:19 PM
Are those no-name white boxes of field paint you can get at most fields normally bigger balls or smaller balls then the Premium?

:confused:

In my experience, my home field uses Empire bullets as the $38/case budget paint, and it's smaller than the .682 bore consistently. Even the budget Formula 13 they sell needs a .684 bore.

Personaly, I fine it CHEAPER to buy a case of premium paint and hit my taget with the first string of shots rather than spraying when I snap shoot.
When I play stock class vs semi I'll get like 200 balls of the best paint they got and be a surgeon from the 50 :cool:

If you really wanna shoot budget paint though, I hear OP's house paint is nice, and $20/case is damn hard to beat.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 02:22 PM
In my experience, my home field uses Empire bullets as the $38/case budget paint, and it's smaller than the .682 bore consistently. Even the budget Formula 13 they sell needs a .684 bore.

Personaly, I fine it CHEAPER to buy a case of premium paint and hit my taget with the first string of shots rather than spraying when I snap shoot.
When I play stock class vs semi I'll get like 200 balls of the best paint they got and be a surgeon from the 50 :cool:

If you really wanna shoot budget paint though, I hear OP's house paint is nice, and $20/case is damn hard to beat.

I hear that... I don't want to shoot budget paint, but I need to shot a good barrel bore to paint match and the Premium my home field sells isn't working...

Smoothice
02-12-2007, 02:23 PM
I hear that... I don't want to shoot budget paint, but I need to shot a good barrel bore to paint match and the Premium my home field sells isn't working...

Get a barrel kit and shoot whatever paint you want.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
Get a barrel kit and shoot whatever paint you want.

I hear that... good idea

geekwarrior
02-12-2007, 02:26 PM
I have a .689 dye UL back, gloss black, AC threads FS :D

pm me if you're interested

Pneumagger
02-12-2007, 04:02 PM
Find the kind of paint you will always shoot and buy a barrel that is a nice complement to the paint. It's much smarter.

In the long run, paint at $50/case will be far more expensive than a single $80 berrel.
However, if your one who changes brands all the time, you'll do best with a kit versus buying several barrels to match each paint.

Choose a paint brand or a barrel brand and hold that constant... the other should dictate itself at that point.

p8ntbal4me
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM

Any ideas?

I shoot PMI Prem. on a regular basis,.. Stinger as well if I am dead broke.

With my E-Mag,.. a DYE SS 10" one piece is a perfect match for the PMI. The Stinger rolls out every once in a while,.. but not often enough to care.

I personally thing 2 piece barrels are a waste of time,.. and I have invested alot of money into multiple barrels for each gun I own. (I have 6 barrel bags!)

At any rate,... the DYE SS are a nice match for PMI where I live. Might want to get/borrow one and give that a try.

PS: I have a Stiffi Carbon on my Angel LED and it hates the premium but is okay with the Stingers.

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 05:11 PM
I shoot PMI Prem. on a regular basis,.. Stinger as well if I am dead broke.

With my E-Mag,.. a DYE SS 10" one piece is a perfect match for the PMI. The Stinger rolls out every once in a while,.. but not often enough to care.

I personally thing 2 piece barrels are a waste of time,.. and I have invested alot of money into multiple barrels for each gun I own. (I have 6 barrel bags!)

At any rate,... the DYE SS are a nice match for PMI where I live. Might want to get/borrow one and give that a try.

PS: I have a Stiffi Carbon on my Angel LED and it hates the premium but is okay with the Stingers.

Good info on the PMI balls in the Stiffi... I need to find a good ball for the Stiffi...

Thanks!! :cheers:

scion
02-12-2007, 05:20 PM
Ask or look at what other people at your field are using

The_Don_83
02-12-2007, 07:32 PM
Ask or look at what other people at your field are using

None of the regulars I know use field paint... But I will ask around Thanks :cheers:

athomas
02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
Most likely the paint you are using is not perfectly round. Even an oversized bore is still usually fairly accurate if the paint is half decent. Use bad paint and you can't hit the broad side of a barn no matter what barrel you are using. Don't knock white bax field paint. Sometimes it is great. Other times you can't fire a hot without it breaking out the end of your barrel. Just beware that it isn't going to be the most consistent paint from case to case.

The_Don_83
02-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Most likely the paint you are using is not perfectly round. Even an oversized bore is still usually fairly accurate if the paint is half decent. Use bad paint and you can't hit the broad side of a barn no matter what barrel you are using. Don't knock white bax field paint. Sometimes it is great. Other times you can't fire a hot without it breaking out the end of your barrel. Just beware that it isn't going to be the most consistent paint from case to case.

The brand is good... PMI Premium... but maybe it's just the way they are storing them that is causing them not to shoot well in my gun... but why would it be such a big difference from my x-valve to my fiances 68 classic?? The only difference is the barrel... She is using a Armson which is probably about .689 and I'm using .692....

But I don't know... maybe it's the paint... :confused:

athomas
02-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Brand doesn't mean anything. I've seen bad batches in the best brands, and I've seen the very best paint in white box.

The Armson barrels may be smaller bore but if it is one of the rifles ones, they tend to act more like a larger bore barrel which is more forgiving on odd shaped paint. Try another type of paint and see what happens before you go and make drastic changes.

Try the Armson barrel on your gun and see what happens. Try your valve in the other gun and see what happens.

The_Don_83
02-14-2007, 08:14 AM
Brand doesn't mean anything. I've seen bad batches in the best brands, and I've seen the very best paint in white box.

The Armson barrels may be smaller bore but if it is one of the rifles ones, they tend to act more like a larger bore barrel which is more forgiving on odd shaped paint. Try another type of paint and see what happens before you go and make drastic changes.

Try the Armson barrel on your gun and see what happens. Try your valve in the other gun and see what happens.

hmmm... I might have to try that... :cheers: