PDA

View Full Version : ****Possible Partial Fix for SUPERBOLTS****

AGD
01-02-2002, 07:10 PM
Superbolt owners,

I am going to be long winded here so everyone understands what’s going on. There are several problems with the Superbolts that we are trying to fix. Some fixes will work, some we need you to try and others we are still researching. The current problems and the fixes are listed below. At the bottom I have a detailed description of what we would like you to try.

#1 Superbolt sleeve too long by .015” and hangs balls in the breach.
Status: This problem is fixed once the face is trimmed down.
Fix: Either sand the face of the bolt down by hand or send to AGD

#2 Superbolt causing ball breakage in the barrel.
Status: We are researching the problem in depth now on the gun dyno. We have found that the ball needs to be farther in the barrel before the air is released. Work is continuing in this area.
Fix A: If it’s not a big problem wait for AGD to come up with the hard nose or foamie sleeves for the SB.
Fix B: Get a piece of soft rubber and super glue it to the center of the bolt and trim off the excess so it is flush with the front of the bolt. Ask Kilauekid for details.

#3 Superbolt sleeve is cracking.
Status: After careful research we believe this problem is due to the press fit of the sleeve over the bolt body. The bolt sleeve is held on two ways, one is the press fit itself, the second is two barb fittings in the press fit area. We believe that the two barb fittings over stretched the plastic and put it near the failure point. Each holding method is fine by itself, only in combination does it put the material near its limit.
Fix: Putting the SB in boiling water for 10 minutes we think will solve this problem by annealing the plastic and removing the stress. See detailed instructions below.

#4 Center piston flies out of bolt.
Fixed, not a problem.

How to try and solve problem #3 at home.

Take your Superbolt and stand it upright in a pot of water that completely covers the bolt. No plastic should touch the pot. Bring the water to a boil for 10 minutes then turn off the heat and let the pot cool to room temperature BEFORE you take the bolt out. It is important to let the pot cool slowly as part of the annealing process.

Put your bolt back in the marker and turn up the velocity over 300 fps. With a barrel condom on and pointing the marker in a safe direction, dry fire several hundred shots and try to make the sleeve break. After the test TURN YOUR VELOCITY BACK DOWN to under 300 fps.

Report your results on this thread so we can determine if this is a good fix. Remember the statistics thread, we need a minimum of 20-40 tests to know if it works consistently.

AGD would like to apologize for all the hassles surrounding this product. We always strive to produce the best products possible but sometimes you just don’t get all the problems on the first shot.

AGD

Russ
01-02-2002, 08:29 PM
Tom,

#1 My superbolt was one of the first batch that you released for sale before the new shipment arrived. It was ordered 12-12-01. It was .015" too long.

You have my superbolt at the factory. It was not broken. It did like to break balls. Can a regular foamie be used, or is more material needed to push the ball further into the barrel before the air blast hits it?

Russ

AGD
01-02-2002, 09:26 PM
I edited and deleted a bunch of posts, I thought best just to let this whole thing go.

Russ,

A regular foamie will work but it sticks out too far and has to be trimmed. You only need to get the ball out to the edge of the bolt face to make a difference.

AGD

riooso
01-02-2002, 10:40 PM
I am not in a hurry, trying to be unobtrusive after reading some of the recent posts. When would it be possible to buy another sleeve for my bolt? The cost is not a consideration for me. I think that I may have ruined my original one by trying to make it shorter and would like to replace it.

Thanks
Rio Oso

kilaueakid
01-02-2002, 10:45 PM
Guys, here are some pics of what Tom was refering to for the superbolt/foamie procedure. You can use a variety of different materials to accomplish this. I started with sticky back window stripping. It held itself on fairly well assuming I didn't dry fire it alot. You may want to use superglue also. I roughed up the smooth surface with some scotch-brite pads so it would stick better. All you have to do is cut a circular piece to sit in the middle of the superbolt. Try not to make it so big that it goes over the area that the air comes out of.

I just recently found some foamies, that are more like rubber. I think they may be a stock AGD foamie, but not sure. Anyway I have now switched to using those and have had excellent results with them. I have had about 3 barrel breaks in close to 6000 rounds.

This new foamie is shaped identical to the face of the superbolt, not sure what the shape is called, but it has 3 ares in a triangular shape. I found some 2-part epoxy at the hardware store. I mixed the two parts together, set one of the foamies in the mixture, so that one side has the epoxy resin on it. This stuff was quick drying...sets up good in like 5min, totally dry in about an hour.

After the foamie is dried onto the bolt, assemble the marker and make sure the foamie isn't out to far into the breech preventing balls from dropping. Mine was at first, so I took a scissors and trimmed off alittle bit from the front of the foamie. That was it, a perfect fit. It works great. 4000 of the 6000 rounds used has been 1 or 2 bounce poo'e pmi premium's and it is working flawlessly.

If you can get your hands on the triangular foamies in the pics, I would go for it. Otherwise , go for the window/weather-stripping and cut your own. You could probably use the epoxy on teh weather stripping too. Here are some pics.

good luck,
kila

kilaueakid
01-02-2002, 10:48 PM
looking into the bolt...

kilaueakid
01-02-2002, 10:50 PM
2-part epoxy resin found at hardware store...

kilaueakid
01-02-2002, 10:53 PM
Riooso, you can make up for bolt shortness by making your foamy longer....at least for a temp fix. Here is a pic of the weather stripping I used.....sorry for not putting all pic in 1 post....
kila

CFD323
01-02-2002, 11:42 PM
Hey Tom, if I go ahead and superglue a foamie on the end of my superbolt, what happens when you come out with a permanent fix later on ? Do I have to buy another superbolt, or will you guys "retrofit" the one I currently have ? I hate to mess with superglue on a new $50 superbolt if it may not be that big of a difference.

CFD323
01-03-2002, 12:01 AM
Hey Kila,

How many breaks were you getting before you went to the foamie addition on your superbolt ?

BlackVCG
01-03-2002, 01:40 AM
I believe what AGD will do is come out with hardnose and foamie style sleeves for the superbolt. So in essence, it will be just like the SS bolt. All you'll have to do is cut off the current sleeve and then slide on the new foamie/foamieless sleeve.

brian terry
01-03-2002, 01:56 AM
hey guys just to let you all know i have a shock tec emag ,and iv been useing the old fomey bolt in my gun ,iv had no prob with it at all ,no ball brakeing or anything like that ,im just useing it till a supper bolt is made with a fomey,well i will say in over 20 some caes's of paint iv broke around 6 balls ,but thats good for any marker out there.

dorksquad
01-03-2002, 06:18 AM
can i get the dementions for a proper sized super bolt so i can measure mine and see if it is to big or not.
thanks

Eric_AGD
01-03-2002, 10:58 AM
The overall length of the superbolts should be 1.841".
The diameter at the front (cupped) end of the sleeve should be .685" for standard Mags, and .695" for SFL's and Extreems.

DiRTyBuNNy
01-04-2002, 01:32 PM
Tom, i've got a Superbolt and i've never used it..it's still in the baggy that it was sent in...i was just wondering if i should wait a little bit to see if there is a factory fix for the Superbolt, i'd pay for a new sleeve..i.e. Foamie Sleeve or some other idea AGD has...

VELOCEMAG
01-05-2002, 04:18 PM
I just installed my superbolt after following the instructions by boiling it for 10 minutes and letting it cool slowley. Looks like that works because I don't have any problems so far. I have dry fired it about 1000+ times and fired about 700 paintball through it. I did have a few breaks but the paint I was using was marginable at best.

aNtHrAx323
01-05-2002, 09:17 PM
I got some 3/16" weather stripping, and am going to try the foamie thing tonight... I'll post my results in the main forum.

Minimag4me
01-05-2002, 09:27 PM
i just boiled my bolt, its in the process of cooling. I have no air but i will post results in a few days.

X-Plosive
01-05-2002, 11:27 PM
well I just finished boiling my bolt. After it was at room temperature it had expanded to much to get the bolt spring on. I waited about 4 hours and I could just about put the bolt spring on but it was a tight fit. Just to make sure the sleeve wouldn't get worn out when in the gun I depressed the spring several times around the bolt to see if it would work. I only got to fir about 20 shots before I ran out of air....will do further testing tomorrow.

strongboy2005
01-06-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by BlackVCG
I believe what AGD will do is come out with hardnose and foamie style sleeves for the superbolt. So in essence, it will be just like the SS bolt. All you'll have to do is cut off the current sleeve and then slide on the new foamie/foamieless sleeve.

What is an SS bolt?

strongboy2005
01-06-2002, 07:58 PM
oh, and do you guys expect the superbolt to be fixed any time soon, i noticed you don't sell them on your site anymore and I want to get one when you get it fixed. when will you guys expect to rerelease it? or is it too soon to tell...

headcase
01-06-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by strongboy2005

What is an SS bolt?

SS = Stainless Steel

Magsrule3
01-10-2002, 02:05 PM
If I order a bolt now, will it be the correct length and have a foamie attached? I really want one, to totally complete my setup.

Load SM5
01-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Well I did this to my new SFL superbolt and the delrin appears to have swelled a bit. The end was always a little fatter but this was'nt allowing movement with the spring. I had to remove a little material to allow it to move freely again. The delrin sleeve also spins pretty easily. I'll find out in a few days if the bolt is still usable.

PRO_Ski101
01-12-2002, 01:40 PM
Hey,is AGD goin to fix the super bolt problem or just tell us how to fix it?I dont mean to sound rude.its just the way the words look when typed.ALSO,When agd does fix the super bolt,Is it goin to come with a foamie on it,cuz every one is talkin bout puttin foamie's on their super bolt.Another thing,any one know when the "fixed" super bolts are going to be coming out?mainly cuz if its gunna be a while,i might go ahead and buy most of my other upgrades.

strongboy2005
01-12-2002, 10:42 PM
that's the same thing i want to know, when is it gonna be rereleased???? as in, when are they gonna be back on the agd store?