PDA

View Full Version : winchester wildcat .22

FARMER00
02-15-2007, 10:12 PM
ok so im going for my gun and hunting licence in march break and need want to buy a crossbow or a .22 rifle. Im a farm kid so skill general knowlage is no issue (ive shot a 12ga,16ga, .22, 4/10,308, 303) so rifles are nothing new to me.
so ive decided on a winchester wildcat .22 or a Barnette Panzer V cross bow, i want the cross bow for the longer deer season (shotgun is a week, bow is like 3 months, no rifle where i am) but i want the .22 for everyday shooting. there is only a $50 difference so money doesnt matter

so, has anyone used a wildcat? can you tell me anything about them? all i know its a bolt action magazine fed rimfire lol we have an old .22 but its single shot (stupedist safty in the world) and i dont like it, and my brother has a ruger semi .22 but i dont like it either

93civiccpe
02-15-2007, 10:18 PM
Hey,
Never fired that Winchester Wildcat but have shot a ton of .22 rifles. Dirt cheap to shoot and a lot of fun. I too didn't like the Ruger 10/22 too much. Most .22 bolt actions are simple.. very little to go wrong, and very nice. There are a lot of nice Savage .22's you might want to look into. Or, if you are looking for a quality semi .22 you might want to take a look at the remington 597. Proven gun manufacturer and a very nice .22 rifle. None-the-less, it's very hard to go wrong when it comes to a .22.

Clipper
02-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I too have shot a lot of different 22s (and many other guns) and I ended up buying a taurus stainless steel pump action 22 that is tube fed. I really enjoy it and it shoots well. I put an adjustable red dot on it because the way the action is you cant use a scope easily, but it also rocks with open sights. I also do a lot of pistol shooting but can't afford to take my glock 40 out all the time, so I bought a walther p22 and love it. It feels amazing and performs every bit as well. Can dump the 10 round clip quick and is very accurate for a shorter barreled pistol. got mine for around 209 on sale brand new at a sporting goods store here.

93civiccpe
02-15-2007, 11:05 PM
209 for a p-22... heck of a deal. I have a p22 myself and I love that pistol for plinking. I have the short version (not the 5" target version) but it's still darn accurate. I love the fact that you can get 600 rounds of .22lr ammo for only $9.. lol.

Clipper
02-15-2007, 11:17 PM
I have that same gun in all black. Love it for plinking too. Can't beat the cost of ammo. Great size too. I use it way more than 22 rifle and am glad I bought it. I give it 2 thumbs up

spwz99
02-15-2007, 11:24 PM
I dont know what bow season regulations are where you are from, but can you legally shoot a deer with a crossbow? Here it takes proof of disability from a doctor. i'd definitely check into it before spending a bunch of monies if you dont know.

Raven001
02-16-2007, 08:09 AM
I dont know what bow season regulations are where you are from, but can you legally shoot a deer with a crossbow? Here it takes proof of disability from a doctor. i'd definitely check into it before spending a bunch of monies if you dont know.

One more reason to move north

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/mnr/pubs/hunt_ont.pdf

WaffleBaron
02-16-2007, 01:16 PM
http://rimfirecentral.com/forums/

Bunch of rimfire info and opinions.

I've had a Savage for about 8 years and shoots great for an inexpensive rifle.

Madmarx
02-16-2007, 01:58 PM
I love my 10/22.
What's wrong with semi?
Dogs love 'em too.

http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l74/MadMarx1/th_DSCF0001.jpg (http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l74/MadMarx1/DSCF0001.jpg)

mclaggan123
02-16-2007, 02:12 PM
its legal to hunt with a crossbow in georgia so check with your state. im from new york and you have to be dissabled up there too. id hunt here in georgia if the deer werent so small. i have a ruger 10/22 and i like it but i like my winchester lever action better. the ruger is fun for fast shooting but the winchester is more my style and a little more accurate with iron sights.

bentothejam1n
02-16-2007, 05:58 PM
its legal to hunt with a crossbow in georgia so check with your state. im from new york and you have to be dissabled up there too. id hunt here in georgia if the deer werent so small. i have a ruger 10/22 and i like it but i like my winchester lever action better. the ruger is fun for fast shooting but the winchester is more my style and a little more accurate with iron sights.
oh yeah he lives in canada eh

FARMER00
02-18-2007, 04:10 PM
what is the difference between a .22 LR a .22 short and a .22 WMR?

Madmarx
02-18-2007, 04:31 PM
what is the difference between a .22 LR a .22 short and a .22 WMR?

Powder charge/shell size.
http://hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory6.html

What will you be using it for mainly?

FARMER00
02-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Powder charge/shell size.
http://hornady.primediaoutdoors.com/HDstory6.html

What will you be using it for mainly?
well for farm, like varment and rodents and a bit of targets a stuff, but i was looking into getting a savage arms 93g but its no good because it shoots the .22 WMR and they cost alot more money

Madmarx
02-18-2007, 09:03 PM
Yeah if you're doing a lot of shooting the 22lr is a great round.
For a few dollars you can shoot all day.
I like the Ruger 10/22 because there are tons of aftermarket pieces for it.
As you can see from the above pic of mine, the only thing from the original gun is the receiver and the trigger housing. It's very light with the fiber and stainless bull barrel. Great for carying out in the woods and taking quick shots.
With a good barrel and decent ammo it's very accurate for target shooting and varmits.

Crighton
02-19-2007, 10:42 AM
With .22LR you can still shoot .22LR CCI stingers.

One nice thing about lever action .22's they can shoot S, L, LR, or Stinger

FARMER00
02-19-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah if you're doing a lot of shooting the 22lr is a great round.
For a few dollars you can shoot all day.
I like the Ruger 10/22 because there are tons of aftermarket pieces for it.
As you can see from the above pic of mine, the only thing from the original gun is the receiver and the trigger housing. It's very light with the fiber and stainless bull barrel. Great for carying out in the woods and taking quick shots.
With a good barrel and decent ammo it's very accurate for target shooting and varmits.
my brother has the 10/22 and i do agree but there is somthing about a semi for hunting that doesnt fit with me, ive looked into everything and i think im still going to go with the wild cat thanks,

REDRT
02-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I haven't ever seen a Wildcat, but the Winchester pic shows it to have some nice wood. It looks very nice.
Don't dis the 10-22 though. It is highly capable. I like mine well. I guess if I was to look at getting another .22 it would be The Remington 552 dlx Speedmaster or a Henry Golden Boy. Both shoot S, L, LR and both are very smooth,quick and also have very nice wood.

FARMER00
02-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I haven't ever seen a Wildcat, but the Winchester pic shows it to have some nice wood. It looks very nice.
Don't dis the 10-22 though. It is highly capable. I like mine well. I guess if I was to look at getting another .22 it would be The Remington 552 dlx Speedmaster or a Henry Golden Boy. Both shoot S, L, LR and both are very smooth,quick and also have very nice wood.
oh im not dissing the 10/22 at all, its a wonderful gun, just not my preferance thats all, i prefer a more manual bolt or lever action . butyeah for somone who doesnt care i would recomend the 10/22 also

Madmarx
02-20-2007, 06:30 AM
That Henry Golden Boy is a beautiful looking gun and well made too.