PDA

View Full Version : Flesh Eating Fish - Pirahna

p8ntbal4me
02-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Anyone here have exotic fish they maintain??

Im particularly interested in Red Belly Pirahna (or any species of Pirahna)

Oscars,.... any type of mean, flesh eating, fresh water fish.

I have 3 RBPs and they have our grown the tank in a year.

Wanted to know some types of setups in the 150-250 gallon range.

skife
02-19-2007, 09:41 AM
we were running a 55 gallons setup with about 30 african chiclids in it about 5 years ago.
2 years after that we sold the tank with 4 fish in it.... they are territorial and pretty agressive.

p8ntbal4me
02-19-2007, 03:03 PM
we were running a 55 gallons setup with about 30 african chiclids in it about 5 years ago.
2 years after that we sold the tank with 4 fish in it.... they are territorial and pretty agressive.

Nice,... how big do they get in width and in length?

My RBPs were small ones (more expensive sadly) but they are 6 inches now and their coloring is very nice.

I have them in a 55 gallon to start but I didnt figure they would out grow it so fast. I have my heart set on a 180 gallon now. I went as far as to redo the floor joices under my apartment to ensure it would not sag the floor.

skife
02-19-2007, 10:50 PM
Nice,... how big do they get in width and in length?

My RBPs were small ones (more expensive sadly) but they are 6 inches now and their coloring is very nice.

I have them in a 55 gallon to start but I didnt figure they would out grow it so fast. I have my heart set on a 180 gallon now. I went as far as to redo the floor joices under my apartment to ensure it would not sag the floor.

biggest was about 3.5" long and maybe 3/4" wide
they were aggressive though.

p8ntbal4me
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
biggest was about 3.5" long and maybe 3/4" wide
they were aggressive though.

I was looking at a few today online.

Some of the nice ones have a deep blue-ish black with yellow and red spots on them. Very nice fish.

Also watched a video of an Oscar get pwned by a few RBPs. Never stood a chance!