PDA

View Full Version : Classic 68 and issue's that might exist with CO2??

slasherdan
02-19-2007, 11:18 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm looking into getting a 68 Classic. I understand that it can run on CO2 and N2/CA, but I was wondering if anyone can post what they saw what they used CO2 with the Classic ...

I understand why N2/CA works better, but I am just trying to find out what bad experiences people have with CO2 that make them say "Don't use it, it's not worth is."

Thanks in advance for you imput ...

snoopay700
02-19-2007, 11:24 AM
If you do use co2 you'd want an expansion chamber and a set of power tube spacers to make it work correctly. I aired mine up with too big of a spacer (o-ring shrank due to cold) and it leaked down the barrel. You don't need an expansion chamber, you can simply make the hose from the asa to the valve go up over the height of the input then back down, but an expansion chamber is more reliable.

Coralis
02-19-2007, 11:27 AM
Mag on CO2 really hate cold weather as the pressure of the CO2 drops and valve tends to freeze very quickly. You will go through O rings alot faster with CO2 then with compressed air. CO2 powered mags also require you to have one of more of the following in order to get a decent rate of fire; expansion chamber , anti siphon bottle , vertical bottle setup , palmer stablizer , and/or remote tank setup.

wjr
02-19-2007, 11:29 AM
I've been playing with my automag using both anti sihon and standard co2 tanks lately, with no expansion chamber. It works great and is pretty consistent. But normally towards the end of the day, after I've just fired a string, I'll have a big air leak down the barrel.

I don't really know what causes it, something to do with the bolt/powertube I' sure, but it get's fixed after I take the tank off and let it warm up some.

In the long run, I'll most likely have to replace some more seals then I would if I were using n2.

JKR
02-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I have found that my Classic Automag does well in warmer weather with CO2. I prefer to use CO2 since you can get more shots with a smaller and lighter tank. I have a 72cu in steel HPA tank (weighs a ton) that I haul out when the weather gets chilly. Anytime it is going to be below 50 degrees or so, I opt for HPA to avoid problems. However, below is a link to a post I made long ago detailing some cold weather CO2 testing.

I believe the manual states you may have problems below 50 degrees when using CO2. If it came from TK, you can believe it!

It also depends on your style of play. I don't shoot alot of paint in my style of play. If you plan on shooting alot in a short period of time, you better take a couple of steps to keep liquid out of your valve. Liquid CO2 is the enemy of the Automag. I use a 16 oz tank never filled above 14 oz that has an anti-siphon tube and use an expansion chamber mounted on the vertical ASA.

http://www.automags.org/forums/showthread.php?t=186897

slasherdan
02-19-2007, 11:33 AM
Hmm ... So would you say that having a Palmer Stabilizer and an Anti-Siphon tank would be good enough to protect the internals of the Mag??

I plan on using N2 during cold weather, but was considering switching to CO2 during the warm days. CO2 tends to give me more shots during the Warm days.

And sorry about the poor grammar in my opening post ... I'm at work and a tad scatter brained. :wow:

I don't shoot a lot of paint. For this reason I'm selling my E-tac, A-5 and 98 ...

I'm keeping my Chipley SS-25, and Phantom ... Hence ... WHY I now longer shot a lot of paint. I've noticed that I shoot my Semi's like I shot my Pumps .... a shot here and there ...

So I'm looking to get a Classic with a ULE body to keep the weight down. And use a 40 round hopper .... :D

snoopay700
02-19-2007, 03:11 PM
I've been playing with my automag using both anti sihon and standard co2 tanks lately, with no expansion chamber. It works great and is pretty consistent. But normally towards the end of the day, after I've just fired a string, I'll have a big air leak down the barrel.

I don't really know what causes it, something to do with the bolt/powertube I' sure, but it get's fixed after I take the tank off and let it warm up some.

In the long run, I'll most likely have to replace some more seals then I would if I were using n2.
Power tube oring froze, sometimes this can be fixed with a smaller power tube spacer, but if it freezes badly enough even that won't help.

Spider-TW
02-19-2007, 03:43 PM
Around 50 F and drizzle makes ICE (not just frost) on the A.I.R. with CO2. With a good remote and exp chamber setup you can keep shooting, but your velocity will keep falling because the CO2 will not expand as rapidly as it leaves the power tube. The A.I.R. takes a very long time (several minutes) to warm back up because that nice heavy stainless stays cold.

Most people don't play in those conditions, but with a 40 round loader, you're probably not playing speedball either. Above 60 F and dry keeps the CO2 rigs going best IMHO.

Badmovies.org
02-19-2007, 03:48 PM
I used to run my 68 classic on CO2 with a coiled remote and it was absolutely fine in weather down to at least freezing. I played a lot of front and mid, so I did a lot of burst firing then not shooting as I moved. Sometimes I would dump half a hopper on a sustained string of fire. Never had a problem due to cold at all. Never replaced any o-rings during the 2 years I ran it on CO2 either.

My setup was:

20oz CO2 tank
coiled remote
gas-through stock
foregrip expansion chamber

Nick E
02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Well, with my mag, I had a classic valve on it(probably in need of o-rings anyway) and a expansion chamber, was playing out in the cold a few days ago. It worked fine for a while, then somebody shot it a couple times facing the ground, and the performance degraded quickly after that( i think they messed up the reg seat) leaving me with a gun that had problems not getting enough power to push the bolt forward and back, and then some hot shots every ten of so..So, mind the co2! it can work fine, but it can also mess with your valve pretty well.

Walrus
02-19-2007, 04:59 PM
The right combination of an antisiphon tank with an expansion chamber, regulator, or gas-thru and remote will allow you to use CO2 with no issues. Yes, during rapid rates of fire you can get some frost on the valve and even freeze it up, but if you are playing on a warm day then that shouldn't be too big of an issue. Just be cautious if not using an antisiphon tank. Pointing your gun down and shooting will attempt to suck the liquid right into your gun (and it might make it in there), even if there is an expansion chamber or a reg being used. Also using a classic valve Mag in the winter (or when it is cold) with CO2 is not the best combination as it will freeze up easily as well. Just remember that when Mags where introduced and when they were the best on the tourney scene they were still using CO2. It wasn't until TK introduced the HPA/N2 that it was discovered that a Mag would perform better and could shoot faster.

Automagsam
02-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Like all of the people above basicly said, it works fine in warm weather with an expansion chamber, I used to go that route til i tried it in february one year....It would not have been playable like that, so I ripped off (not literly) my c02 tank and stuff right at Paintball Sam's and they rented me an air tank. I would highly suggest not running on co2, and going air, save ur self money in the long run so u dont have to buy an expansion chamber and all that jazz, just go straight to the air, trust me you will thank me, I learned the hard way.

slasherdan
02-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks for all your input. I'll have to pick up an A.S. Tank for the Later fall to early Spring season and go with HPA during the cold season.

I guess this will bring up a new question though. What is the average shot per fill that people get with a Classic Valve setup??