PDA

View Full Version : WI DNR Paintball Ban Averted

raehl
01-02-2002, 11:51 PM
Well, looks like no one has this up yet, and since I just got back from the hearing:

The Assembly Natural Resources Committee voted 11-0 on a motion which forces the DNR to choose one of three options by January 9:

1) Resubmit the paintball statute as is.
2) Withdraw the paintball statute.
3) Commit to working with paintball industry and consumer representatives to redraft the statute.

Really, we're in good shape no matter which the DNR chooses, as I don't think it's likely at all that the committee lets any DNR ban on paintball through.

Special thanks to all those who showed up and testified. There was a pleasant helping of folks representing the industry, media, fields, and players, from both in and out of the state. Everyone who spoke had something unique to bring to the discussion so it was definitely good that all were there. There are now 11 reps in WI who are EXTREMELY educated about paintball, heh.

And as a side note, the representatives were really on our side on this one. There were a couple who had concerns with crowding out other uses, but the general consensus seemed to be that the rule didn't make a whole lot of sense. Translation: It was assumed that paintball was a good thing and the burden of proof, so to speak, was put on the side OPPOSING paintball - definitely a nice change from the days of yore.

- Chris

striker
01-03-2002, 12:00 AM
That's nice to hear! I heard that the original reason for banning paintball was actually a scam basically. This scientist (can't remember who) took hair folicles (sp?) from an endangered species living in a protected part of the forest and deliberatly put the hair folicles in an un-protected part of the forest to try to prove that the endangered species lived there, and that the state should ban all activities and sports performed there. I don't know the motivation, and I heard it off the radio, so the source may be questionable. Just something to think about! :)

raehl
01-03-2002, 12:08 AM
I have no idea where you got that, but it's incredibly off base.

- Chris

shartley
01-03-2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks for that update… actual information that means something.

I am glad this is turning out well.. for ALL.