PDA

View Full Version : Boston Police scrapping FN303's

Jaan
02-22-2007, 01:47 PM
Well, the FN303 pepperball guns will no longer be used by the Boston police, and are now waiting to be turned into sewer caps...

Boston Globe Article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/02/22/police_to_scrap_pepper_guns/)

HoppysMag
02-22-2007, 02:05 PM
it stemms from the girl killed after the sox games. no fault of either the police, the gun, or the girl. just a really unfortunate accident. but since MA in general lacks a positive view of ANY guns and the FN303's had only been used once ( the time the girl was killed) and that was in a VERY public manner. i mean hell the Boston Red Sox, World Series, 86 years... kinda a big deal for the city. and eyes were on boston.

ahellers
02-22-2007, 03:13 PM
where will the grauge sale be, Im there.
t

Ace12GA
02-22-2007, 03:31 PM
From that article I would say the police are to blame on that one. Its notes that more than one person was hit in the face; which denotes a lack of training, or simply reckless behavior on the part of the officers responsible for the shooting. Its terrible that a young woman died as a result, and it sure seems like it could have been prevented. However, when you take part in a mob, in essentially a riot, bad stuff happens. I'm surprised that the family sued FN. Sure they made the marker, but thats it. The idea that they were sued because they made a device that functioned as intended and was missused is ridiculous.

I live in Canada, and have been seeing comercials by ambulence chaser lawyers on US stations recently telling people to fight back against some sort of new laws coming up. They spin it like its the government and insurance companies trying to take away your rights, but it sounds like a crack down on ridiculous law suits to me. Being Canadian, I'm not really sure whats going on to be honest. If its what I think, I can't see that as anything as a good thing, and I hope we follow suit here; although we're not as plauged by stupid law suits here, they do happen.

Regardless, thats a shame that a reasonable crowd control device is going to get a bad name. I saw a 303 in action on a show called "Guinea Pig" on discovery the other night, and really was impressed. I think the concept and product are sound, its just too bad the users in this case were not.

rkjunior303
02-22-2007, 03:45 PM
It was 100% entirely the fault of the Police issuing these to untrained police officers on how/where to shoot them.

Lohman446
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Unless being held hostage no person at a riot scene is totally innocent....

Jaan
02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm surprised that the family sued FN. Sure they made the marker, but thats it.It's not a marker, it was designed and intended as a weapon, not unlike a nightstick. It's a small point but not a subtle one considering a young girl was killed with one.

Perhaps that was the underlying problem, the police thought it was essentially harmless.

Tao
02-22-2007, 04:17 PM
From that article I would say the police are to blame on that one. Its notes that more than one person was hit in the face; which denotes a lack of training, or simply reckless behavior on the part of the officers responsible for the shooting. Its terrible that a young woman died as a result, and it sure seems like it could have been prevented. However, when you take part in a mob, in essentially a riot, bad stuff happens. I'm surprised that the family sued FN. Sure they made the marker, but thats it. The idea that they were sued because they made a device that functioned as intended and was missused is ridiculous.

I live in Canada, and have been seeing comercials by ambulence chaser lawyers on US stations recently telling people to fight back against some sort of new laws coming up. They spin it like its the government and insurance companies trying to take away your rights, but it sounds like a crack down on ridiculous law suits to me. Being Canadian, I'm not really sure whats going on to be honest. If its what I think, I can't see that as anything as a good thing, and I hope we follow suit here; although we're not as plauged by stupid law suits here, they do happen.

Regardless, thats a shame that a reasonable crowd control device is going to get a bad name. I saw a 303 in action on a show called "Guinea Pig" on discovery the other night, and really was impressed. I think the concept and product are sound, its just too bad the users in this case were not.

Agreed, but the US has crazy precidents let alone laws for civil cases. Its unbelievable the thinking of the courts in some of those cases...

don miguel
02-22-2007, 04:59 PM
Well, the FN303 pepperball guns will no longer be used by the Boston police, and are now waiting to be turned into sewer caps...

Boston Globe Article (http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/02/22/police_to_scrap_pepper_guns/)
it's a shame. I just heard about that on mcarterbrown.

Duck Hunt
02-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Ahh beloved Boston. When will we stop blaming objects and start blaming people for deaths...

Sean

Gecko
02-22-2007, 06:40 PM
Just be glad it wasn't a bomb
or the Mooninites!

11 Bravo
02-23-2007, 11:09 AM
It's not a marker, it was designed and intended as a weapon, not unlike a nightstick. It's a small point but not a subtle one considering a young girl was killed with one.

Perhaps that was the underlying problem, the police thought it was essentially harmless.

This goes back to a previous post. Its a result of poor training or none at all. The 303 should have only been issued to trained officers. Heck down here officers have to be trained on the use of the particular night stick that they are going to carry or they cant carry it.

Super_Stalker
02-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Let's ban night sticks too theve killed plenty of people. :rolleyes:

11 Bravo
02-23-2007, 12:34 PM
^^^^ And the Police Maglites to. :tard: Dont want to hit anyone on the head with one of those. :eek: