PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to join the marines, need help with parents

Sprye Bane's Comm NCO
02-24-2007, 08:55 PM
Can anyone give me some help with convincing my parents that its a good idea to join?

They are very against it and I could use some good stories to point out to counteract all the bad they read in the newspapers.

although if you've had a bad experience or gotten screwed please do tell so I can avoid the same situation/ see if its worth it.

I'm going back and forth with the idea in my head...and I just need some push.

Thanks guys.

Eagle
02-24-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd talk to your recruiter to see if they have any good ideas on talking to your parents. Every now and then I see commercials for a website on the same subject, but can't remember the URL. You could true Military.com for info too. As for keeping yourself from getting screwed I try talking to guys in DEP at your recruiters office (before you sign on the dotted line) just to see what their contract info says. I got a 6k signing bonus that should have been 11k, if I had found people to talk to I might have avoided that! You could also try talking to people in the Corps that aren't recruiters. Beyond that, I was a Sailor, so don't know much else to tell you. Well, other than that the only good Marine is a Submarine :D

Sprye Bane's Comm NCO
02-24-2007, 10:12 PM
One of my friends is in DEP, should I ask if I can see his contract?

How do you find out about the signing bonuses?

and my recruiter basically said to tell them the same things I started with, I explained the educational benefits and self growth and unity...and it didnt do squat. They (my parents) did agree to go talk with him though after they saw a contract. Is there anyway to get a contract to show them without signing anything yet?

kruger
02-24-2007, 10:34 PM
First, the signing bonus is for specific job classes that they need. Lets say that they need comm. techs, so they offer a bonus for joining up for Comm techs to fill in the slots. The bonus's will change depending on what they are needing at the time. When I joined, they needed Nuclear Electronics techs (Navy), and the bonus was 25K.

As for talking your parents into it............how old are you? 18 and you dont need your parents signature. 17, you do. And, if you are convinced that you want to join up for the service, then why not wait until you are 18? It will only give you that much more time to decide what exactly it is that you want to do. Combat Arms is "sexy" right now. Getting all the press. But, think about this......What are you going to do when you decide to get out? You might want to think about learning a trade that you can use when you do decide to get out. Most of the technical fields should offer a bonus of some kind. Anyway, your choice, your life.

One more thing, and this is for any service that you join. IF IT'S NOT WRITTEN IN YOUR CONTRACT, THEN YOU DONT GET IT. I dont care what the recruiter tells you, if you dont get it in writing, you dont get that training/slot. PERIOD. In other word, if you want something specific, then you better get it in your contract. "you can apply for that school when you get to your unit" is a common tactic that recruiter use to try and get their monthly quota's. And, if there is a specific school that you want, and its not availible, then wait until it is availible. The Marines will still be around when the school has a slot open.

I speak from experience, I have 6 years in the Army, Infantry, and 6 years in the Navy, Electronics Tech. Try going to boot camp twice :eek:

Coralis
02-24-2007, 11:35 PM
As to Kruger says ....its the absolute truth the recruiter will promise you the earth moon and stars but if it isnt in writing on your contract you wont get it. Do yourself a big favor and find out what are critical need jobs and if one those is what you want to do then volunteer for it otherwise dont even put it on your preference list or you end up getting that job and being miserable for your entire enlistment

Kyle.Kimber
02-25-2007, 12:25 AM
Well heres how I see it. You could enlist and get shipped over to Iraq and either get killed or quite possibly maimed. Or you could opt for the safe, boring life of a beat farmer. Hmmm

I support our troops, but the War on Terror pisses me off.

Army
02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Well heres how I see it. You could enlist and get shipped over to Iraq and either get killed or quite possibly maimed. Or you could opt for the safe, boring life of a beat farmer. Hmmm

I support our troops, but the War on Terror pisses me off.
First, they're "beets".
Second, the vast majority of military personnel will not serve in Iraq or Afghanistan.
Third, the "war on terror" is keeping the bad guys out of your neighborhood.
Fourth, you cannot support me, without supporting what I do. Supporting a SOLDIER, is supporting the soldiers JOB...which is to kill people and break things.

That's like saying, I love flying, but hate heights.

You see things funny.

Dover
02-25-2007, 01:07 AM
People enjoy free speech because men like you and I stand ready to defend freedom of speech. Thank you.

I served for the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve, 15th RCA (Royal Canadian Artillery) Militia during the first Gulf War in 1991.

Dover
02-25-2007, 01:12 AM
It is the soldier, not the reporter,
who has given us Freedom of Press.

It is the soldier, not the poet,
who has given us Freedom of Speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer,
who has given us the Freedom to Demonstrate.

It is the soldier, who salutes the flag,
who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag
that allows the protester to burn the flag.

By Father Dennis O'Brien
Chaplain, United States Marine Corps
God Bless Our Troops

Bravo Company (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/)

pendulous
02-25-2007, 08:37 AM
Can anyone give me some help with convincing my parents that its a good idea to join?

They are very against it and I could use some good stories to point out to counteract all the bad they read in the newspapers.

although if you've had a bad experience or gotten screwed please do tell so I can avoid the same situation/ see if its worth it.

I'm going back and forth with the idea in my head...and I just need some push.

Thanks guys.

Okay, I'm an older paintballer. My son joined the Marines about a year ago. He said the boot camp was very tough, but you will learn teamwork, self reliance, and confidence. Boot camp is 13 weeks long. It is longer than any other branch of the military. After boot camp, he had another month or so of advanced infantry training. As a parent, I can tell you he came back different; he came back stronger--physically, spiritually, and mentally. The pride they develop in the recruits is unbelievable. They focus on values. Everything they do and teach links back to the core values of the Marine Corp. He was just promoted to Lance Corporal and is doing well. He has not been sent to Iraq yet. We are very proud of him and are honored to have him serve. We are nervous, but realize this country needs young men and women to serve. The Marines spend quite a bit of time making sure the guys are well trained in whatever their MOS is. I believe they will not put them in dangerous situations until they are sure they are ready from a training standpoint.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Eagle
02-25-2007, 10:39 AM
you cannot support me, without supporting what I do. Supporting a SOLDIER, is supporting the soldiers JOB...which is to kill people and break things.

That's like saying, I love flying, but hate heights.

you have no idea how many times I've said the exact same thing, and people just don't listen.

Recon by Fire
02-25-2007, 11:37 AM
If you are old enough to join, then you don't need to sway your parents opinions. Man up. You are not asking to borrow the family car, show them you have convictions and maturity.

:cheers:

Sprye Bane's Comm NCO
02-25-2007, 11:41 AM
If you are old enough to join, then you don't need to sway your parents opinions. Man up. You are not asking to borrow the family car, show them you have convictions and maturity.

17 and I'd like to get into DEP soon. thats why I need them.

Eagle
02-25-2007, 11:52 AM

I joined the Navy at 22. The biggest reason I joined that late was my parents (especially my dad) didn't want me to. It's tough, because when you are all alone in your head, knowing that your family is there is important. In the end my parents did support me though when I went through with it, and the only thing I wish I'd done differently was gone in a year earlier. In my experience the guys who went in at a younger age were more immature and didn't hndle things nearly as well, 21-22 seemed to be a big dividing line.

Recon by Fire
02-25-2007, 11:55 AM
OIC! I had a similar situation, wanted to join the Army at 17 but mother was not very keen on that idea. I told her she can sign now or I can wait until I was 18, but I was going either way. I also had support from my Grandfather since nearly every male in our family has served. Sounds like your parents just need to get used to the idea that you are leaving the child phase and entering adulthood. They can have trouble dealing with such things...good luck!

Age 17 and active duty at Ft. Knox :cheers:

Dover
02-25-2007, 03:26 PM
i joined at 16 in early 1991. The legal age to swear in is 17, but my CO (Captain Andy Van Slyke) allowed me to slip in anyways, ranked up as a private, and boy was I ever proud. Trained with 155mm artillery, C16 (M16's), and C9 (Beretta)

A few months later, the Gulf War started in 1991 and our unit status changed from "Inactive" to "Standby". Members of my unit started dropping out left and right, apparently they did not have the heart or courage to fight as they were college students and that who only wanted the money.

I on the other hand wanted desperately to shoot some camel jockeys, but before we were sent over, the offensive ended. I am no longer an active member of the Canadian armed forces but I am always ready to do my part.

__Phoenix__
02-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I myself have been getting into shape, and researching the Marines.
I can't wait to go to Boot.
0311 bang bang :)