PDA

View Full Version : Brass Barrel Maintenance.

d4m4don3
02-26-2007, 12:07 AM
Hi guys,

Picked up a PPS Unported Autococker Barrel a couple of weeks ago. It's an excellent barrel but......besides cleaining the barrel with a squeegee. Is there any other special maintenance for barrels made of brass? :confused:

Dover
02-26-2007, 02:03 AM
Old-School Tournament Player's Trick: I found that using a car wax or wash with a built-in wax, like Turtle Zip Wax (the light green stuff the smells weird)

Apply the wax in a light, thin, even coat with an old (but clean) pull-three swab squeegee (with the neoprene rings removed). I found that a slightly damp swab works better for applying the wax.

Let the wax dry thoroughly or according to the specifications, usually this means overnight as the inside of a barrel doesn't get much airflow, don't bother using a fan or heater, just let it air cure.

Clean the dried wax out of barrel porting using toothpicks; this may be very time consuming and take lotsa toothpicks, but eventually it's worth it, really. It's easier with the Freak barrels, you only have to wax the inserts!!!

Using a clean squeegee, preferably another swab pull through with the neoprene rings removed, as this will buff the inside of the barrel to a nice finish. You don't want the neoprene rings, or a Straight Shot, as the disk or disc can remove the wax!

If you break paint, fluffy stick squeegee or the cloth end of a Straight Shot will clean it out quick, or the barrel will shoot clean instantly!! This works for all types of barrels.

turbo chicken
02-26-2007, 01:48 PM
flex hone a little ... polish ... wax (as mentioned above)...

wonder what rain-x would do to brass ... much easier than turtle wax ...

and put one of those swabs on a drill when polishing and waxing ... works great ...

d4m4don3
02-26-2007, 04:30 PM
Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to pick up some turtle wax and sacrifice a squeegee for the cause. :p

Aslan
02-27-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a brass barrl on my Trracer. I just use metal polish on the inside. It has worked fine...just a little more work because I try to leave as little polish leftover in there as I realistically can.

Walrus
02-28-2007, 05:06 PM
Use 12 gauge swab or the patch holder (the one with a slit in it) from a cleaning kit and some cloth, the rods of a gun cleaning kit, Brasso (or other metal polish), and cordless drill. Assemble one or two rods (depends on length of barrel) and the swab. Put the end of the rod without the swab in the drill and tighten the chuck. Then put a little polish on the swab and on a slow speed put the swab in the barrel and work it from end to end adding more polish as needed. You can use a increase speed on the drill once you are comfortable but don't go crazy. After a few minutes (depending on the barrel) you will have a mirror shine that is ready for action. Being a Palmers barrel, you should just have to do this but every once in a while at the most and it will shoot like a dream. For the outside use the same polish and an old hand towel. Or, find a buffing wheel to get an even better shine!

Using car wax on the *outside* of the barrel will help keep it from tarnishing as fast. RainX will work on the inside, but it wears off really quickly and there is not really an advantage. Metal polish, especially Brasso, will polish the surface for you and that is all you need.

Brass (if it is machined correctly and polished correctly) is an exrememly smooth surface and it does not need to be waxed or to have anything else applied to it to make it "slicker." If there are lots of deep scratches or problems with the interior then hone it, otherwise leave it alone and only use Brasso, Never Dull, Mothers, Wenol, or some other metal polish on it.

I prefer Wenol myself!
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/gallery/data/500/medium/DSC02395.JPG

Dover
03-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Well, it depends on the condition of the barrel, if it is in bad condition, polish it up like Walrus said!

I've used Brasso on the stock WGP AutoCocker components like the ram and 3-way, they turn from dull bronze to gleaming gold.

I guess brass doesn't get a clear coat to prevent tarnishing, does it?