PDA

View Full Version : Custom X-Mag Milling

Niox
02-26-2007, 04:25 PM
Just a question I've had swimming around in my head for some time now.

Is it possible to get the plain "Euro" X-Mag body milled?

I just want to make my X-Mag something really special and this is one of the future options available for me. If it is possible anyone got any suggestions to where I could get it done?

FlawleZ
02-26-2007, 04:28 PM
Just a question I've had swimming around in my head for some time now.

Is it possible to get the plain "Euro" X-Mag body milled?

I just want to make my X-Mag something really special and this is one of the future options available for me. If it is possible anyone got any suggestions to where I could get it done?

Sure, but its REALLY expensive. Actually, if you would be satisfied with standard CnC Xmag milling, you could probably have one of the guys here cut it for you for not such a bad price since the design and instruction set already exist.

Pneumagger
02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
alot of the cost for a project like that is the money it takes to planout, design, program, and work with a machinist who will do this. After all that's done, then your only looking at the setup and machine time cost, as well as reanodizing.

Which is why it's always a little better to go with a predesigned course of action.

p8ntbal4me
02-26-2007, 06:24 PM
alot of the cost for a project like that is the money it takes to planout, design, program, and work with a machinist who will do this. After all that's done, then your only looking at the setup and machine time cost, as well as reanodizing.

Which is why it's always a little better to go with a predesigned course of action.

Im no machinest,.. which that said,.. Ive been looking into some of the desktop mills I can get for a hobby on the side.

Seems there is a tool called a "Probe and Index" that basically is like a stylest pen that touches the work surface of your project, then enters the X,Y,Z axis information into the CNC so you can do a copy of the work. You can even set the machine linked to another CNC so that as it copies the work,... it can feed another CNC the information and cut a project on the fly. ( Here is one for Taig Tabletop CNC Mill called the "MAXNC Digitizer" ) (http://www.dearmondtool.com/maxaccess.htm)

If someone was to "probe" the work on a SFL X-Mag, X-Mag, or other bodies,... I dont see how much design would be involved. Then you would have to think about the machine time.

Like I said,. I dont work with metal,.. I work with dirt. So how much of this being true is in question,.. but from the pages and people I have talked to.... it seems easy to copy a body or frame.

Paintchucker
02-26-2007, 06:28 PM
There are a couple guys in the Dealers section that "make stuff"... You might want to drop a couple of them a line to see the complexity of it.

StygShore
02-26-2007, 06:31 PM
Fireblade customs cut up my X a little for me, and a Euro X will have more meat for him to work with and get pretty creative.

Styg

BigEvil
02-26-2007, 06:41 PM
For the money it would cost you could probably get a used CnC xmag and have money left over. ;)

Lenny
02-26-2007, 07:17 PM
Im no machinest,.. which that said,.. Ive been looking into some of the desktop mills I can get for a hobby on the side.

Seems there is a tool called a "Probe and Index" that basically is like a stylest pen that touches the work surface of your project, then enters the X,Y,Z axis information into the CNC so you can do a copy of the work. You can even set the machine linked to another CNC so that as it copies the work,... it can feed another CNC the information and cut a project on the fly. ( Here is one for Taig Tabletop CNC Mill called the "MAXNC Digitizer" ) (http://www.dearmondtool.com/maxaccess.htm)

If someone was to "probe" the work on a SFL X-Mag, X-Mag, or other bodies,... I dont see how much design would be involved. Then you would have to think about the machine time.

Like I said,. I dont work with metal,.. I work with dirt. So how much of this being true is in question,.. but from the pages and people I have talked to.... it seems easy to copy a body or frame.
Dude,.. whats with all,.. the comma's,.. and dots,..? It's really,... like,.. annoying,..

FiXeL
02-26-2007, 07:24 PM
I know the problem... My first X was also a STD version and i wanted it milled. I am a machinist and work with CNC milling machines, but doing this yourself even when you have all the right machines it is unrealistic. Do as i did, buy a CNC xmag and keep the STD as your workhorse. Would be alot cheaper than having it shipped to the US, having it milled, re-annoed and shipped back to you. :D

p8ntbal4me
02-26-2007, 08:09 PM
Dude,.. whats with all,.. the comma's,.. and dots,..? It's really,... like,.. annoying,..

Im used to typing short hand for military administrative documentation.
,.... so,...... which that being said,....... ;)

Niox
02-27-2007, 03:08 AM
Hmm thanks for the input. Maybe it will be a tad too expensive. I just thought it'd be cool to have some crazy 1 off design.

P.S

On an unrelated note, how do I get a clamping feedneck for a vert feed module as I should be getting one soon?

emagclown
02-27-2007, 07:42 PM
I actually did what your talking about. Believe it or not, I walked in to a local machine shop with my Euro mag body with a rough drawing of what I wanted. I marked the body where to cut with a black sharpie and left it with him for a couple of days. He basically milled it freehand. What I picked up wasn't pretty at first. I spent the next few weeks doing all of the finishing touches by hand. Total cost was about $120.00.

Anyway, I sold it here on AO awhile back before it was annoed. I just can't remember who bought it.

kayvon
02-27-2007, 09:01 PM
^pics? sound like it is pretty sweet

A-Tach-One
02-27-2007, 09:38 PM
Anyway, I sold it here on AO awhile back before it was annoed. I just can't remember who bought it.
I believe it was ICOM, or at least he has it. He entered it in a couple MOTM contests. It's ano'd red to silver fade. :cheers: