PDA

View Full Version : rechargeable battery question

thecavemankevin
02-27-2007, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking about buying this lot off ebay of 2500mah NiMH AA's for use in kids toys. I'm sick and tired of buying D's and AA's for the kids toys and this seems like a decent solution. It comes with AA to D battery adapters so that will help with the newborn's swing (eats batteries almost as much as she eats).

http://cgi.ebay.com/24-AA-NiMH-Batteries-8-Battery-Adaptors-C-D-cells_W0QQitemZ150095499891QQihZ005QQcategoryZ4862 0QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

I never did understand why manufacturers dont make devices like this with a wall plug option. I mean come on, big swing. I'm not going to be moving it all over the house, why not be allowed to plug it in?

so you guys who know more about batteries than i, is this worth it if its just powering basic devices around the house (remotes, kids toys etc...)?

Muzikman
02-27-2007, 12:31 PM
NiMH isn't really designed for all devices. Sure they will work, but for some things Nicad are still better.

The only thing to remember about NiMH batteries is that they are very sesitive to over charging and heat.

turbo chicken
02-27-2007, 02:13 PM
^ dang beat me to it ...

I purchased rechargeables a while ago ... i have build quite an army of rechargeables ... the trick is getting in the habit of keepig the extra set charged and ready to go ...

But definately worth it ... but i've found that going to the electronics store almost always comes out to about the same after adding shipping ... for batteries that is...

oh and for the swing ... fisher price makes one that plugs in ... it's the onlyone on the market ... it has worked great ...

trevorjk
02-27-2007, 03:02 PM
im lazy... link me to the fisher price battary please

thecavemankevin
02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
im lazy... link me to the fisher price battary please

i think he meant it was a fisherprice swing with plug. and i know, they started offering it about a year after we bought our swing for our oldest daughter now 2 1/2. That is the same swing we are currently using.

thanx guys

turbo chicken
02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah the one with the plug ... awesome stuff ...

i wish i'd never got rid of the one my son used with the manual hand crank ... he used that think till he started to crawl out of it ....

the electric one sucks ... it can barely swing my 15-18lb daughter ... it's wimpy ... but grandma purchased it ... what ya gonna do...

slade
02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
The only thing to remember about NiMH batteries is that they are very sesitive to over charging and heat.
just how sensitive to heat? and they don't release more heat than NiCd during rapid discharge, do they?

to answer the original question, one other thing you have to consider is (IIRC) NiCd and NiMH cells are 1.2 volts, while normal alkaline batteries are 1.5 volts. they are still great for most applications, though.

billybob_81067
02-27-2007, 11:56 PM
Yeah the one with the plug ... awesome stuff ...

i wish i'd never got rid of the one my son used with the manual hand crank ... he used that think till he started to crawl out of it ....

the electric one sucks ... it can barely swing my 15-18lb daughter ... it's wimpy ... but grandma purchased it ... what ya gonna do...

What you're going to do is rig up a weedwacker engine on that sucker!!!! "Let me get this thing started and then hold on... you're gonna go for a ride!"

LOL

/srsly... do it!!!!

turbo chicken
02-28-2007, 08:22 AM
What you're going to do is rig up a weedwacker engine on that sucker!!!! "Let me get this thing started and then hold on... you're gonna go for a ride!"

LOL

/srsly... do it!!!!

Naa too much effort ... i thought about putting on of my RC car motors in it ... but they are twice the size of what is in there and won't fit ...

But i did laugh ... and i wouldn't use a wimpy electronis weedwacker ... oh no gas powered baby with a throttle that the baby could play with :D :cheers:

I've opted to just let her roll around on the floor ... but that just doesn't do the trick at bedtime ... the swing has some king of elf/gnome magic that puts her to sleep when in that thing ... i think the magic is wearing off ...

i think there is some residual alcohol from last night in my system ... i've edited 3 times and each time i find something else wrong or mispelled in the post ... igive up

thecavemankevin
02-28-2007, 09:25 AM
thanx guys, i think i'm going to try it.