PDA

View Full Version : Lvl 10 and CO2

slasherdan
02-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Okay ... from what I understand you shouldn't use a lvl10 with CO2. Not recommended ..

So my next question ( and it actually leads to another one), is would you think a Warm CO2 fill would cause issue's with the LVL 10???

And if one gets a Warm fill .... do you think it would cause issue's with the X-Valve???

Spider-TW
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I think the temperature of the fill has less effect than the heat loss from the expansion of the CO2. You will still see drastic temperature changes and still have the post valve expansion of the CO2.

This was more obvious to me when I tried to run a Tippmann SL-68 pump gun on HPA for the heck of it. It has a Nelspot type valve and shot at 200 fps on HPA @1000 psi and 305 fps on CO2. Air doesn't continue to expand much after the valve (just pressure and volume related) where CO2 continues to pick up heat and expand more. There's a set of curves you can find in some chemical handbooks.

I would think if you shoot real slow in a warm atmosphere, you could get away with it. I haven't read if the aluminum body of the x-valve changes dimensions due to temperature more than the old stainless and contributes to seal problems. Since speed and dynamics is what the x-valve is about, you don't see many people toying with CO2 in them.

Also, once you get a little frost plugging the bypass in the lvl10 bolt, which will be the coldest point once a ball binds up, you'll lose your anti-chop altogether.

DaFin
02-28-2007, 12:55 PM
No CO2 with a level 10? I've never read that anywhere (that I can recall) I have a classic mag that I recently set up with a level 10 running CO2 and after I initially tuned it I have had no issues.

As for ice/frost blocking the small bypass, I would think that there would be enough pressure to blow it out but by design this would limit the bolt resetting, not the amount of pressure put on the ball. You'd still have the anti-chop but with a plugged bypass the bolt would not reset until the pressure behind the bolt was bled off.

Spider-TW
02-28-2007, 01:33 PM
I forgot the first stage of the lvl10 is smaller in addition to the bleed. Now that you mention it, I haven't seen many 'snow flakes' out of a mag barrel like some of the other guns. My old mag (without a lvl10) only got plugged a few times until it thawed. The lvl10 is for "all mags", but I 'assumed' that comes with the "mags don't like CO2" cliche as well.

Shouldn't that say 'any marker that shoots more than 8 balls per second continuous doesn't like CO2'?

Anyhow, nothing's a better test than having a working example. :cheers:

Pneumagger
02-28-2007, 01:54 PM
Ice and frost won't build up in there for 2 reasons.
a) your shooting Co2 and there's not much (if any) water present to make frost. Unless your shooting 20+ bps, it'll be too warm for dry Ice.
b) the only way that hole gets cold is if there is flow through it, which blows out any buildup of anything at any point of it's buildup. It's self clearing by nature due to the high pressure and small opening.

Co2 mags work with LVL 10 just as well as an HPA mag.

MANN
02-28-2007, 02:18 PM
Xvalve is made for high rof. High rof and CO2 :nono:

CO2 works fine with regular mag with level X

Spider-TW
02-28-2007, 03:26 PM
Ice and frost won't build up in there for 2 reasons.
a) your shooting Co2 and there's not much (if any) water present to make frost. Unless your shooting 20+ bps, it'll be too warm for dry Ice.
b) the only way that hole gets cold is if there is flow through it, which blows out any buildup of anything at any point of it's buildup. It's self clearing by nature due to the high pressure and small opening.

Co2 mags work with LVL 10 just as well as an HPA mag.

1) Are all of the snow flakes out of sypder/illustrator clones on CO2 only from liquid?

2) Can a mag on CO2 sustain 5+ bps (avg) for 2 minutes or so (600 balls)? I always had trouble with big battles and CO2. The condensation and frost collects on the outside and the velocity drops.

3) Are there many CO2 pneu-mags?

Pneumagger
02-28-2007, 03:57 PM
1) Are all of the snow flakes out of sypder/illustrator clones on CO2 only from liquid?

2) Can a mag on CO2 sustain 5+ bps (avg) for 2 minutes or so (600 balls)? I always had trouble with big battles and CO2. The condensation and frost collects on the outside and the velocity drops.

3) Are there many CO2 pneu-mags?

The snow you refer to is generally dry ice bits or condensation of humidity when the cold air his it. Liquid co2 cannot exist as a liquid at atmospheric pressures, so any liquid expelled into the atmosphere turns to solid dry ice particles - which then sublime.

Spider-TW
02-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Seriously, but pointless :) , you could have a pneu-mag on CO2 couldn't you? Since the older mags are good candidates for pneu-magging, someone must have at least tried it once. I couldn't find anything in the search though.

Pneumagger
02-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Seriously, but pointless :) , you could have a pneu-mag on CO2 couldn't you? Since the older mags are good candidates for pneu-magging, someone must have at least tried it once. I couldn't find anything in the search though.
MMMmmmmm. Search hard enough, you did not! ;)

Classic Valve, Co2 straight to the valve. No liquid protection.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pK1YcFvJrWI"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pK1YcFvJrWI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Spider-TW
02-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Tell me about it! The latest thread had plenty of (CO2 pneu) stuff in it. Maybe I forgot how the search works :tard: Thanks!