PDA

View Full Version : Ions ain't so cheap after all.

paintballfiend
02-28-2007, 12:28 PM
I was over at MCB and read that SP is increasing the price of stock Ions from $199 to $225 to meet demand. It seems that instead of fixing an Ion most people just buy new ones. :rolleyes:

turbo chicken
02-28-2007, 12:40 PM
hmmm spring is coming ... i'd be willing to bet that sales so up in the spring ... so an increase in price means more profit for someone ...

but lets be realistic ... that will be the advertised price ... i'd be willng to bet you can still get a new one at 199.00

Paintchucker
02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
I think the official price change is tomorrow. And SP requires it's dealers to maintain a "minimum price" below which they cannot sell, so everyone officially should raise their pricing...

Lohman446
02-28-2007, 01:23 PM
I think the official price change is tomorrow. And SP requires it's dealers to maintain a "minimum price" below which they cannot sell, so everyone officially should raise their pricing...

Thats minimun advertised price, they can sell them for whatever they want.

Pneumagger
02-28-2007, 01:56 PM
Thats minimun advertised price, they can sell them for whatever they want.

tru Dat!

Chronobreak
02-28-2007, 02:12 PM
hopefully that $ is going to dealers not sp, since when they lower the price the last time it was the dealers who were hurt

craltal
02-28-2007, 04:46 PM
hopefully that $ is going to dealers not sp, since when they lower the price the last time it was the dealers who were hurt

They're probably raising the wholesale price so any benefit would only be seen on stock on hand

Lohman446
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
SP lowered the MAP at first because dealers were selling lower anyways. So it got raised because a few dealers whined and it will have zero net impact?

CoolHand
02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
No, they lowered MAP to put the kibosh on Tippmann and Kingman's newest offerings over the holiday season.

They've done that now, so they're bumping the price back up to get the demand back down where they can half *** keep up with it.

Say what you will about the Ion, but Smart Parts has literally populated a gozillion square foot building with machines dedicated to producing the parts, and they STILL cannot keep up with demand at the current price.

Their process has gotten much better since it's debut so their costs are continually falling. I would not be surprised at all to see them under cut Kingman if they need to in order to keep the building producing at capacity. However, if they're ALREADY at capacity now, no reason not to ramp up the price to where it's stable and reap the profits.

Lohman446
02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
literally populated a gozillion square foot building .

Whats the numerical value of a literal gozillion?

You knew someone was going there right? :D

CoolHand
02-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Whats the numerical value of a literal gozillion?

You knew someone was going there right? :D

I figured as much. I can take a ribbing as well as the next guy, bring it on. :dance:

Don't know the exact square footage, but their new building is a big bastard, and the last pictures I saw, the manufacturing wing was wall to wall with nice new machines.

Love 'em or hate 'em, but DYE, Smart Parts and Bob Long are the last of the big dogs to still do it in the US. That counts for something in my book.

pennywise
03-01-2007, 05:19 AM
Love 'em or hate 'em, but DYE, Smart Parts and Bob Long are the last of the big dogs to still do it in the US. That counts for something in my book.
Only three left? That is sad... :(

CoolHand
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Only three left? That is sad... :(

Only three huge ones. Lots of other smaller companies still manufacture their markers in the US though.

It's just that the vast majority (if not all) of what Tippmann, NPS, and K2 sell is NOT.

You put together K2, Tippmann, Kee Sports, Smart Parts, Bob Long, and DYE, and you've got about 95% of the paintball market share there.

Of those three, Bob Long is a small fry comparatively, though through their partnership with Jim Eaton, they do arguably the best machine work in the business currently (cosmetics wise for sure). I only mentioned them because their markers are pretty popular, but even then their volume isn't real high, certainly not like that of smart parts or DYE.

PanzerGen
03-01-2007, 05:06 PM
Only three huge ones. Lots of other smaller companies still manufacture their markers in the US though.

It's just that the vast majority (if not all) of what Tippmann, NPS, and K2 sell is NOT.

You put together K2, Tippmann, Kee Sports, Smart Parts, Bob Long, and DYE, and you've got about 95% of the paintball market share there.

Of those three, Bob Long is a small fry comparatively, though through their partnership with Jim Eaton, they do arguably the best machine work in the business currently (cosmetics wise for sure). I only mentioned them because their markers are pretty popular, but even then their volume isn't real high, certainly not like that of smart parts or DYE.

Tippmann still claims on their website to make most of their markers in the USA (not including the Truimph- The ones at Wal-Mart were "Made in China." I was under the impression that the 98c and the A5 were made in the US.

CoolHand
03-01-2007, 06:03 PM
Tippmann still claims on their website to make most of their markers in the USA (not including the Truimph- The ones at Wal-Mart were "Made in China." I was under the impression that the 98c and the A5 were made in the US.

Perhaps, but since they are now owned by an offshore investment firm (A La the Summit Group Et Al) it's a safe bet that all future developments will follow the precedent set by the Triumph (IE they will be manufactured overseas for pennies on the dollar and sold at big box stores).

That is a proven recipe for success, take a look at what K2 has reduced WGP to if you doubt it will happen. Kingman proved the model out many years ago, and any investment driven "max profit RIGHT NOW" situation will logically lead directly there. It's sad, but inevitable.

:(

pennywise
03-02-2007, 01:44 AM
You can always support niche markers and buy AGD and Palmer's!

CoolHand
03-02-2007, 01:57 AM

Indeed.

slasherdan
03-02-2007, 12:16 PM

It will be a $ that goes to the Dealers on their current stock. When they have to resupply then they will feel a price hike from SP ... Then the money they make will most likely fall back to what they were making before.

Yes ...