PDA

View Full Version : Question For Toms Tech Tips

jade_monkey07
03-02-2007, 04:16 PM
I know its been a while since he posted the tech tips, but i have a query. i bought a box of paint last week, it was a diffirent brand then what i usually get. I noticed all the balls were dented from eachother. this was a cheap brand no name box, and using toms testing methods they turned out to be not bad in durability and consistency. Anyhow the dents werent huge, but still visible. iv never had a ball fly so straight and accurate before. Do you think it was possible if the dents help somewhat????

using the golfball theory it makes some sense
"The reason dimpled golf balls travel further than smooth golf balls is because the dimples on a golf ball create turbulence behind it. This actually helps reduce drag and increase lift because the dimples actually scoop up air and move it back towards the rear of the ball as the ball spins. By moving more air to the rear, you in effect keep the air pressure behind the ball from dropping. By doing this, the amount of air pressure pulling backwards on the ball is decreased (less drag). "

http://www.dealsongolfballs.com/technology/golf-ball-dimples.html

:shooting:
Jade_Monkey07

athomas
03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
The dimples don't really affect the paintballs the way they affect golf balls. The fact is that they really don't affect them much at all. If the paintball is basically round, it will fly fairly straight regardless of dents or dimples.

athomas
03-02-2007, 07:28 PM
The dimples don't really affect the paintballs the way they affect golf balls. The fact is that they really don't affect them much at all. If the paintball is basically round, it will fly fairly straight regardless of dents or dimples.

sdsm_99
03-06-2007, 12:24 PM
You may want to read through the "Paintball Spin Physics - Getting to the final Answer" in deep blue. I know it is very long and it has been a while since I have looked through it myself, but I do remember some research being done by Tom with a dimpled ball. Also In deep blue --" Look Ma!! It's a Dimpled Paintball!!!" this is some discussion of this.

sdsm_99

twilite247
03-09-2007, 07:23 PM
I know its been a while since he posted the tech tips, but i have a query. i bought a box of paint last week, it was a diffirent brand then what i usually get. I noticed all the balls were dented from eachother. this was a cheap brand no name box, and using toms testing methods they turned out to be not bad in durability and consistency. Anyhow the dents werent huge, but still visible. iv never had a ball fly so straight and accurate before. Do you think it was possible if the dents help somewhat????

using the golfball theory it makes some sense
"The reason dimpled golf balls travel further than smooth golf balls is because the dimples on a golf ball create turbulence behind it. This actually helps reduce drag and increase lift because the dimples actually scoop up air and move it back towards the rear of the ball as the ball spins. By moving more air to the rear, you in effect keep the air pressure behind the ball from dropping. By doing this, the amount of air pressure pulling backwards on the ball is decreased (less drag). "

http://www.dealsongolfballs.com/technology/golf-ball-dimples.html

:shooting:
Jade_Monkey07
A friend of mine tumbles his paint at aprox. 3 rmp over night in a modified rock tumbler and swares it removes all dents and really improves consistency. Just a thought. :D

SR_matt
03-09-2007, 10:07 PM
they shouldnt be affected by the dimples except if the dimple allows air to leak out at the last instant and the makes the ball fly to one side.

ive definatly had some high end paint that was bad and some low end paint that was good. a lot of it really comes down to paint barrel more so than anything else.

-matt