PDA

View Full Version : Why did AGD not come out with the Mini?

madmolly
03-03-2007, 08:02 AM
I am kind of confused and maybe this has been discussed but since the Mini has a lot of mag technology in it why did they just not make it themselves? I mean when I took it apart I had flashbacks of when the old superbolt came out. If this has been discussed let me know and point me towards the thread. Even when I shoot the Mini it sounds just like my emag only about 6 pounds lighter.

buzzboy
03-03-2007, 08:53 AM
Tis a good point. It does in many ways encompass mag related ideas. I am guessing probably because manike had so much to do with it. From what I have seen though it really isn't a mag inside. It's poppet right? I do guess that the battery grip, HES and lack of forward reg are very mag like. Along with the fact that it has a single tube design.

REDRT
03-03-2007, 11:55 AM
Because AGD is stroking it till the paintball world stabilizes.

StygShore
03-03-2007, 11:58 AM
battery in foregrip, HES trigger, and single tube design... thats as close as the Mini gets to being like the mag as far as I can tell - am I wrong?

Not sure why everyone keeps saying it is so like the mag...

Styg

psychowarden
03-03-2007, 12:06 PM
Because AGD is stroking it till the paintball world stabilizes.

Pretty much what TK said in some other thread.

Hexis
03-03-2007, 12:10 PM
Well the mini does shoot paintballs. It also uses compressed air to do so. Clearly it's just a ripoff of AGD's work. It also uses aluminum, anodized even!

Cow123
03-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Excuse the newb question but, what is the "mini"?

temps
03-03-2007, 12:23 PM
battery in foregrip, HES trigger, and single tube design... thats as close as the Mini gets to being like the mag as far as I can tell - am I wrong?

Styg

Any marker that is a single tube design it going to look similar to a mag.. How many different ways can you make a single tube look anyway :confused: :p Just look at when the 03 shocker came out.. everyone was like omg smart parts copied the mag!

PumpMag
03-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Excuse the newb question but, what is the "mini"?

Look at the latest Paintball Magazine ads by Invert.

StygShore
03-03-2007, 03:26 PM
^^^

END THREAD :)

Well said Mr. Factor

Styg

javasnot17
03-03-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah, I'm sure it was well said, but I'll stick with Mags.

cyrus-the-virus
03-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Don't forget it uses a spring on the bolt.

The more I look at the mini the more I realize how diffrent it realy is. Simalrity's yes. but the whole thing is very diffrent.

MagManULE
03-03-2007, 06:10 PM
Unless I'm completely mis-informed the Mini is a blow forward spring returned marker. If you remove the solenoid and replace it with a sear actuated on off the overall design becomes a little more familiar, if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:
Any one care to correct this?

StygShore
03-03-2007, 06:13 PM
familiar with a sear.... Spyder, tipmman, everyoen else with a sear besides a cocker....

give it up guys, there are similarities in EVERY paintball gun to another gun - its allready been noted the Mini is designed based off an older marker ( forget name, somone fill in this spot )that didnt really stand out in the crowd... its nothing to do with the mag.

Styg

buzzboy
03-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Unless I'm completely mis-informed the Mini is a blow forward spring returned marker. If you remove the solenoid and replace it with a sear actuated on off the overall design becomes a little more familiar, if you catch my drift. :rolleyes:
Any one care to correct this?
Actually it's an inline poppet. Sorry. So it it more like the Bob long O????. Has a name I can't remember.

SCpoloRicker
03-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Well the mini does shoot paintballs. It also uses compressed air to do so. Clearly it's just a ripoff of AGD's work. It also uses aluminum, anodized even!

I work for the Mini, AGD, paintballs, compressed air, aluminum and anodization;
So I am really getting a kick out of most of these replies. Some of you guys are very good at making it sound like you know what you are talking about.

But trust me.... You don't. I think you just want to make yourself sound smart, when in reality you don't know what you are talking about.

This is how bad info gets passed around. If you don't know about the topic....Don't make yourself sound like you do. Cos some AOers believe anything they hear.

FARMER00
03-04-2007, 12:13 AM

Styg
basically anything that is single tube is a mag in peoples minds, look on pbn and aparently an ion and shockers are mag related along with tippmanns lol

ultralight
03-04-2007, 09:37 AM
comparing a mini to a mag is a bit silly considering the span of time between the two designs. it's like comparing a hellcat to the f22 raptor. but don't kid youself into thinking that the makers of the mini didn't learn from, and try to improve upon the ideas put forth by the mag, and other single tube markers before it.

the mini is not a mag, however, it does seem to be one possible evolution of a mag design. as do the freestyle and ion.

what have people been saying for years: the mag is a great design, but it's failure lies in it's mechanical sear.
all of the above mentioned designs seem to be a way of incorporating the good aspects of a mag-like design, while improving upon the bad.

dump chamber only charges while the trigger isn't pulled.
go to a poppet.

blow forward needs air fed from behind.
route it through the frame.

mech sear/on off limits the mag.
use a solenoid.

i see the mini not as a ripoff of the automag, but more of an evolution, an illigitimate grandchild perhaps.
as if someone looked at a mag and said, "how can i perfect this design." and in doing so, created something that is really quite different.

rkjunior303
03-04-2007, 12:08 PM
if AGD designed the Mini, it would be $1500 not $300.... :ninja:

cyrus-the-virus
03-04-2007, 12:23 PM
dude, the mini isen't an evolution of the automag. It is an evolution of the king cobra marker. http://www.zdspb.com/tech/kingcobra/index.html

Here is an animation of the mini.

http://www.zdspb.com/media/tech/animations/invert_man.gif

paint magnet
03-04-2007, 01:51 PM
if AGD designed the Mini, it would be $1500 not $300.... :ninja:

That's because it wouldn't be made in a third-world country.

paintballfiend
03-04-2007, 10:17 PM
I new e-marker from AGD would be great, but I would still shoot an E-mag. :p

turbo chicken
03-05-2007, 08:59 AM
meh ...mini = blow foward bolt ... that's about the only real cut and paste commonality I see ... everything else different ...

Ydna
03-05-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree with ultralight up there. The guns aren't the same but if you were to take a Mag and make it funciton with the mechanical sear or solenoid, you'd end up with a poppet gun pretty similar to the Invert/Cobra.

There's a lot of ways to make the same thing work, though. K may have imagined somehting like the Cobra but never implimented it due ot how he had it laid out in his head. You have to wirte out the design and tweak it for a while before even thinking about making it.

UTDragun
03-05-2007, 01:17 PM
one thing I found out, is that if you put your finger in a mini, it bites it like an alligator and doesnt let go and you have to unscrew the tank, no so with mags

turbo chicken
03-05-2007, 03:20 PM
one thing I found out, is that if you put your finger in a mini, it bites it like an alligator and doesnt let go and you have to unscrew the tank, no so with mags

That made me laugh ... lol :rofl:

i'm picturing it now ... "hey look at this" ... sticks finger in breech and pulls trigger ..."bang" .."(insert profanity)" and visualize someone standing as still as possible as to not drag a marker around by ther index finger ... "get it off, get it off!!!" :rofl: :rofl:

StygShore
03-05-2007, 03:55 PM
have you actually put your finger in the breach?

I had heard simon say somehting about a 2 stage bolt in his interviews, but I have not seen anythign documented or showing that the bolt indeed does have a 2 stage bolt like a lvl 10.

I was wonderring if they mean 2 stage since it has a rubber face and metal back or something.

Styg

Desega
03-05-2007, 10:15 PM

Styg

That's about it as far as I can tell.

Caboose
03-05-2007, 10:21 PM
They feeel like mags when they shoot, though. It's just got that feel.

SpecialBlend2786
03-06-2007, 02:36 PM
If Invert has fixed their technical issues...for the price, I think the Mini appears to be the best single tube non-Mag electro out there. Better than the Freestyle, and better than the Ion. Based on the marker alone, and not the company behind the marker, Id choose the Mini over a Freestyle or Ion if I were looking for an electro.

Just curious, why would you take the Mini over something like the Freestyle FS8?

madmolly
03-11-2007, 07:05 AM
Rogue I know you know you stuff buy my point is
Differences:
Valve
Battery: Mini: 9V, E/XMag - 18V
Solenoid: Mini- Manifold ?, E/XMag - plunger
Sear: Mini - No, E-XMag - Yes
Eyes: Mini - Break Beam, X-Mag - Reflective Eye. E-mag - No eyes
Weight: Mini - Lighter, E/X - Heavier
On/Off Switch, Mini - Yes?, E-mag - None, X-Mag - Yes
Ramping Board - Mini - Yes?, E/XMag - No
Price - Mini - $400, E-mag - $700+, XMag $900+
External Air Hose - Mini - No, E/X-Mag- Yes
High Pressure Operation - Mini- No , E/X-Mag- Yes

These are all things that the emag could have evolved with R&D.

Everyone uses 9 Volts
Sear to poppet? Check out 40 dollars spyders and steal the design
Eyes everyone uses eyes
Weight an obvious evolution with DM4 to DM6 look what 2 years did there
Ramping board how hard is it to find a ramping board
The internal air design and the valve are the big areas but I guess that is what R&D dollars do for a place. Thinking outside the box is what created the mini and it feels just like my old emag.

Either way I like the mini I just wish it came from AGD.