PDA

View Full Version : EMAG battery specs?

PsychoMag
01-03-2002, 03:21 PM
I am looking for specs on the Emag as far as power consumption and the specs of the battery pack such as voltage amperage, type of battery (NiMH, Nicad, etc...)I am about to embark on a project MicroEmag and need some info before i start.

Butterfingers
01-03-2002, 03:49 PM
14 AAA 1.2 volt 650 mAH NiMH batteries packed together in a trapazoidal shape in a series circut to produce an average of 16.8 volts of electrical power and 650 mAH of juice. Fully charged they pack over 18 volts of power.

Butterfingers
01-03-2002, 03:51 PM
Also dont try to use alkaline batteries they dont support high drain applications and die very quickly.

Yeah I soldered my own alkaline battary pack together so I know.

PsychoMag
01-04-2002, 10:32 AM
ok, and how about matching them? Are the cells matched? if so, what are the times of the cells, rate of discharge, and the cutoff (usually at .9A). I think I came up with an alternative to that darn battery, but I must research this topic thoroughly first.

Butterfingers
01-04-2002, 10:59 AM
NiMH is pretty much the only thing that will work unless you wanna foot the bill for Li-Ion batteries. NiCad dont provide enough run time alkalines even duracell ultras can't provide the drain rate of the standard NiMH battary. The gun will cease to function below 14 volts.

I don't understand what you mean by matching cells. The cells are identical. Just 14 cells soldered together in a circut.

If you are thinking of running the e-mag off youre revy or warp batteries I can tell you 9v's wont last long at all.

PsychoMag
01-04-2002, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Butterfingers

I don't understand what you mean by matching cells. The cells are identical. Just 14 cells soldered together in a circut.
If it is JUST 14 cells soldered together then it is a poor quality pack...Rechargeable cells should be matched in order to get the most even power and longest time of a cell. I have the equipment to match rechargeable cells, as well as contacts for the most powerful cells in production, as well as lighter and smaller substitutes.

Cells are like a chain, no matter how strong 13 cells are, the pack will only perform to the weakest 14th cell's strength. The equipment that I have will help to match cells for a lighter, slimmer, longer lasting pack.

These cells will individually be cycled and matched according to their values which are

1.Cutoff
2.Disch. rate with a 5amp, 10amp, and 20amp load.
3.Disch. time
4.True voltage/amperage
5.True Mah size

Hopefully, with some research, I will create a pack which will run the gun, revvie, and warp without hesitation.

Butterfingers
01-04-2002, 07:44 PM
RobAGD has done that to his personal gun. Lasts around 5000-6000 shots runing the warp, revy and emag on the standard battary pack.

www.robagd.com

I may sound ignorant but explain to me the concept of cell matching. I seems to me that if you have 14 identical batteries they would be the same.

Also dont quote me on my last post im not sure if they are matched or not.

RobAGD
01-04-2002, 11:21 PM
Butter - well there are tolerances to all batteries. There rae some that are better and some that are worse. By matching the set you get a better battery.

PsychoMag - you are doing to do something like that I am intrested on some of teh Sanyo 1100mAh AAA's in a battery pack :) 650mAh is a bit wussy.

Drop me an email and we can run over some stuff. Tom would be teh best to get some of teh battery specs. And in my personal opinion these packs blow monkey bung.

-Robert

Butterfingers
01-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I get the concept now...

keep us informed

PsychoMag
01-05-2002, 10:09 PM
I am working on getting some "special" batteries this week to begin the testing. I am expecting some awesome results. I am investingating the capacities vs charges to go to 1700 or 2000mah cells. They will last alot longer, but I want to keep everythoing hush until it is almost finished when I reveal the pack with some other tricks I have devised. I knew al the electronics training I recieved in the Navy would pay off besides radar systems :)

Butterfingers
01-06-2002, 01:15 AM
Good Luck, looking forward to see results I would like to see a battary that would last 100k shots!

Keep me posted when it becomes un-hush-hush. I am a potential customer if you are putting these things on the market!

Hey the government is good for somthing :).

Do/Did you recieve youre training at anapolis? I got a few good friends who go there.

DarkPhoenix
01-06-2002, 01:21 AM
I am interested in any future outcome which increases the endurance of the battery. Psychomag, my guess you are/were former Navy enlisted, either FC or ET.

PsychoMag
01-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by DarkPhoenix
I am interested in any future outcome which increases the endurance of the battery. Psychomag, my guess you are/were former Navy enlisted, either FC or ET.
I was an FC2(SW) before leaving. Went to FC-A school and CIWS C school. I fought hard to get AEGIS C-School, but it didnt work out. I will keep u informed of my progress and maybe get u a version of my idea before long to try out and let me know what u think

Pand0ra
01-12-2002, 05:36 PM
Makes me remember when I was doing RC car competitions, and was building packs of battery :)

How will you manage to build a pack smaller than the current one, with 2000mAh of capacity and the same voltage?
You'll have to use bigger cells than AAA, which means an increase of the battery pack, and the weight of it.

Li-Ion won't do the job, there internal resistance are too high to provide enough current to the marker.
You're basically left with the latest generations of NiCd and NiMh cells...

Anyway, good luck with your project. Keep us informed :)

PsychoMag
03-07-2002, 12:24 PM
the pack is in the works :)

all i can say bout that :)

davej946
03-07-2002, 12:57 PM
mmm hmm. I just took a look at Rob's page. I'm either selling my car, or a kidney and buying an emag. Do the math:

Sell Car = AGD E-Mag
Sell Kidney = SFL E-Mag

Now, which will it be? Eiter way, great job Rob, you seem to know what you are doing...

Later ~

BlackVCG
03-07-2002, 02:22 PM
I have pics of a disected E-Mag battery pack. PM me if you want the pics.

Butterfingers
03-07-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by davej946
mmm hmm. I just took a look at Rob's page. I'm either selling my car, or a kidney and buying an emag. Do the math:

Sell Car = AGD E-Mag
Sell Kidney = SFL E-Mag

Now, which will it be? Eiter way, great job Rob, you seem to know what you are doing...

Later ~

sell your kidney you have two of them :)

PsychoMag
03-08-2002, 06:20 AM
Ahhh yesss...I have recieved my email from Tom concerning draw... :)

Let the fun begin :)

kutter
09-17-2002, 01:28 PM
PsychoMag, did you ever have any luck with this project? I am awaiting delivery of a new battery for my SFL and was just wondering what, if anything you had come up with?