PDA

View Full Version : modding a minimag body

originalspyderxtra
03-05-2007, 04:53 PM
i have a classic mag and just bough a minimag body for it. i also just bought an old r/t with a lvl 10 kit in box. i was planning on selling the r/t but i was told to use the on/off when doing a pneumag. however i perfer the minimag body over the r/t body. i read that the bodies are not interchangable (is this correct), would there be a way to mod the minimag body to fit?

FARMER00
03-05-2007, 08:21 PM
i have a classic mag and just bough a minimag body for it. i also just bought an old r/t with a lvl 10 kit in box. i was planning on selling the r/t but i was told to use the on/off when doing a pneumag. however i perfer the minimag body over the r/t body. i read that the bodies are not interchangable (is this correct), would there be a way to mod the minimag body to fit?
depends on the kind of rt, u can just try yourself to see if it fits, try yourself it wont hurt the valve or body

originalspyderxtra
03-05-2007, 08:26 PM
its an old school r/t, not r/t pro. when i get it ill see if it fits, im looking for a definate yes or now at this point. i dont know alot about nmags and have no idea if the r/t rail has the same bolt patterns as regular rails. i do something about having to drill my intelliframe to fit the r/t rail.

reckid1986
03-07-2007, 09:46 AM
just take the rt on/off out of the rt valve put it in the classic valve. install your level 10 kit on the classic valve and install your pneumatics in the intelliframe. your classic valve with the rt on/off and the level 10 will be plenty fast enough for now. then sell or trade the rt for an x valve w/ule trigger kit. then later on down the road you can change up the body and rail and anything else you want.

originalspyderxtra
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
thnaks,thats not a bad idea, i might consider doing that. i just liked differents parts from each, the minimag body, the r/t rail, my intelleframe. i wanted to combine all the parts i liked, but reckid, i think your route is probable more cost effective.

reckid1986
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM
thnaks,thats not a bad idea, i might consider doing that. i just liked differents parts from each, the minimag body, the r/t rail, my intelleframe. i wanted to combine all the parts i liked, but reckid, i think your route is probable more cost effective.

well for starters the minimag body wont fit on a rt rail, unless you moddify one of the 2. you can look for a rt pro or emag rail and send it to www.lukescustoms.com to get the rail conversion mod. i may be doing that soon depending on if i get a ule body or not.

originalspyderxtra
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
i dont have a problem modding anyhting. but if i just picked up a r/t pro rail i can basically stick anyhting i want on it right. i know there are more compatable than the old r/t but im not sure exactly what you cant put on an r/t pro rail.

Nick E
03-09-2007, 07:10 PM
You can't put a minimag body on an r/tpro rail. This is because the seat which the body sits in is round in the rtpro rail, and the piece on the MM body is square. You would need to dremmel or have luke mill out that part of the rail for it to work with most all bodies.

originalspyderxtra
03-09-2007, 07:20 PM
yeah i learned that but now i realized the r/t body surrounds the valve, im guessing the rail is milled more there. could i possible fab a piece of metal to sit in the rail to comensate for the loss of a body there?

originalspyderxtra
03-17-2007, 12:01 PM
ok got the r/t today and it doesnt seem like to much work. :cool:
here are my findidngs:
1. going to dremmel the minimag body mount round
2. the valve has to sit slightly into the minimag body, this causes 2 problems but easily fixed. a) in the back of the minimag the inner diameter of the body needs to be shaved slightly b) there will gave to be a small notch in the body cause it sticks slightly into the path of the r/t valve retaining screw
3. there needs to be a piece of metal under the valve to compendate for the los of the body, i plan on using a thick guage sheet steel and just have it cover the underside so its hidden and doesnt show. i will also have to notch it like the notch in the r/t body, not to hard, just need a dremmel and a teady hand.
4.intelliframe valve retaining screw hole needs to be drilled (already previously established but just for the sake of having all the info in one spot)

ok thats its as far as what needs to be done, this will most likely be done over my spring break as im swamped with school and fixing my car. ill do a full tutorial with pics of each step and if i get a hold of a good didgial camera maybe a vid. keep an eye out for a thread in a few weeks, thanks for the help. :D

if you want to see it in person ill be at Tunaball.