PDA

View Full Version : Power-tube spacer?? I got a spring...

Linkin
01-03-2002, 06:23 PM
I finally bought a parts kit for my Mini.
Well, When I went to replace the power-tube O-ring, I found a spring instead of a spacer. I had never opened the power tube for reasons unknown, so I didnt know about this.

Well, is this just something that was in the older 'mags? Do I need to by a spacer kit or will the spring be fine?

Cha0tic
01-03-2002, 06:32 PM
springs were used in mags lower than level 7. you don't have to replace it. if you start having problems, then replace it.

Gunga
01-03-2002, 06:33 PM
Power tube springs were used in old Mags. Current Mags use spacers.

What does your mag currently have in the power tube - a spring or a spacer? If it's a spacer and your mag works fine, just leave it in and replace the power tube o-ring.

It's not like the spacer is going to wear out or lose 'springiness' like a spring would do.

PyRo
01-03-2002, 06:40 PM
As long as you arn't having problems the spring is fine. Older level 7 mags used springs, which were replaced by spacers.
While not sure of the reason for replacement, it could have been springs wearing out, having the bolt get stuck on them, or scratching the plunger.
Your spring is fine, but if you want PT spacers go for it.

Linkin
01-03-2002, 07:09 PM
thanks all! :) I think I will leave the spring in a while and switch over to spacers in a week or two. Thanks for the help.

BTW, if my serial number is MM00238, does that mean I have the 238th minimag ever made? :D

BlackVCG
01-04-2002, 12:04 AM
Yes it does. :)

The Mag Man
01-04-2002, 12:07 AM
HAHAHAHA you got the HTML tags wrong in your signature! Thats hilarious! Sorry for laughing. Anyways, let me help you out here, if you want to center text the PROPER HTML tag is this...<*center*>text goes here then u would close it with <*center*> but put a / in front of the word center also remove the stars

You have to use the < > these are called karrots. Not [ ], those are brakets.

Linkin
01-04-2002, 01:39 AM
Lol, I was tryin to use BB code. O well.

anthraxxx
01-04-2002, 01:10 PM
On a related issue. I just got a spacer kit and went through the exercise of trying to find the right spacer to replace my spring. Anyway I found that the smallest spacer would elminate leaking down the barrel without any stick but when I put the slightest pressure on the trigger I would get leaking which is an issue I will do a search on this site for after I post. No problem with my spring. Anyway I just wanted to post this experience because I find it odd that if and when my spring goes to kack based on what I have done with spacers (last night) I can expect to be facing some leaking problems. And if the solution can be solved by inserting a smaller spacer, well short of filing the smallest one in the kit down I don't know of any other solution.

banzaimf
01-04-2002, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Cha0tic
springs were used in mags lower than level 7. you don't have to replace it. if you start having problems, then replace it.

of note, Level 7 mags came with springs for years.

PTP didn't come out with them until 95 or 96 I think. They didn't make it into Mags until I believe 97.

and btw to Linkin... WOW. #238!

A Minimag older than mine :-)

banzaimf

banzaimf
01-04-2002, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by anthraxxx
On a related issue. I just got a spacer kit and went through the exercise of trying to find the right spacer to replace my spring. Anyway I found that the smallest spacer would elminate leaking down the barrel without any stick but when I put the slightest pressure on the trigger I would get leaking which is an issue I will do a search on this site for after I post. No problem with my spring. Anyway I just wanted to post this experience because I find it odd that if and when my spring goes to kack based on what I have done with spacers (last night) I can expect to be facing some leaking problems. And if the solution can be solved by inserting a smaller spacer, well short of filing the smallest one in the kit down I don't know of any other solution.

Have you replaced your power tube O-ring yet?

banziamf

anthraxxx
01-04-2002, 05:09 PM
I guess this is a dumb thing to say but I did a visual on the p/t o ring and it looked fine plaus it works with the spring so I figure the o ring is not an issue. If you all highly recommend replacing the p/t o ring and trying the spacers again then I will. I have read so many positive posts about the miracles of the right spacer I was dying to experience them myself.