PDA

View Full Version : X-Mag Rant

Niox
03-08-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm bored, it's late at night and I am in a ranting mood after a less than pleasing day.

I bought my X-Mag on new years day from a friend, before taking it to a field I decided to get the best in the business to check it out and make sure everything works ok. I promptly contact Sir Tuna and get the X-Mag shipped off. Anyway I'm now going to tell you just how bad my X-Mag is.

The battery connectors have been replaced with non standard stuff (9v battery connectors by the looks of things) and an on/off switch installed in the trigger frame.

The ACE has been removed as it kept causing a short on the board.

The bolt is some rare euro design Tuna has never seen before (this is a plus really).

The gun wont fire in E-Mode.

Tuna has left me on tenter hooks as he tries to get her firing in E-Mode again (is it bad that I call my X-Mag 'her'?). Judging by the fact I haven't heard a squeek (or should that be a blub) it is not going well.

I'd just like to thank Tuna for what he's done so far and I hope he puts me out of my mysery about E-Mode sooner rather than later.

Much love,
Niox

BigEvil
03-08-2007, 05:43 PM
Tuna will take care of it. He's a busy man, and a one man operation at that so just have a little patience. It will be worth it.

Niox
03-08-2007, 05:49 PM
I have patience in the bucket loads my friend and I have no problem waiting for him to work his magic, perfection takes time afterall!

It is just the suspense that he leaves. What if he hasn't managed to get e-mode working? It's the waiting to find out that makes me develop a nervous twitch.

Tunaman
03-08-2007, 06:00 PM
Just hang loose there buddy. I am trying ti straighten this thing out without it costing you an arm and a leg. I have no less than 50 hours into this marker so far and it still doesn't work right. This is the worst marker that has ever came through my shop. The gun is a total mess. I WILL fix it...please bear with me. ;)

behemoth
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
Just hang loose there buddy. I am trying ti straighten this thing out without it costing you an arm and a leg. I have no less than 50 hours into this marker so far and it still doesn't work right. This is the worst marker that has ever came through my shop. The gun is a total mess. I WILL fix it...please bear with me. ;)

Tuna means business. I've never seen a marker that wasnt working in TIP TOP shape after it'd been through Tuna's hands.

Hold on their ol' Chap, your x-mag will come home soon :P

Niox
03-08-2007, 06:05 PM
50! Jesus my friend that is a lot of man hours! Any idea on what is up with her? I'm sorry about her state but as mentioned I got it from a friend who got it second hand himself. Not the best supply chain I'll admit but I like X-Mags and any price will be worth it.

Thank you again kind sir, it is greatly appreciated, but if it costs an arm or a leg then so be it, I am told I have more money than sense. :D

Much love,
Niox

Tunaman
03-08-2007, 06:22 PM
To be honest, this looks like a makeshift attempt at using whatever parts were available at the time. The frame has no ground lug or area to put one(milled off) hence the 9v battery clips. The positive and negative wires are way too small of a gauge for this application so they too must be replaced to provide ample juice to this board. All of the solder connections on the board look like they have been under water for a year at least, and soldered with acid core solder instead of the proper rosin core stuff. I am in the process of fixing them too...just to see if the board will work. These is also no locating pin in the frame for the top of the board. I will have to install some type of insulating standoff to stop the board from hitting the frame(which I believe has caused damage to the board already. There are (were)no less than 20 wire splices. Get the picture? Hang tight... ;)
Anyone else wondering why it is taking me so long to fix their gun? Talk to Niox... :D

jenarelJAM
03-08-2007, 06:32 PM
Tuna... I think you're enjoying this...

Tunaman
03-08-2007, 06:36 PM
Tuna... I think you're enjoying this...This one...I am not enjoying. The marker is a nightmare. Not one AGD spec works in this marker. I guess AGD Europe had there own set of specs...or made them up as they went along...

aqua_scummm
03-08-2007, 06:53 PM
This one...I am not enjoying. The marker is a nightmare. Not one AGD spec works in this marker. I guess AGD Europe had there own set of specs...or made them up as they went along...
"American standard, British standard, Metric? WHO CARES? Pick the measurements out of a hat!"

Pacifist_Farmer
03-08-2007, 08:22 PM
I think we need a picture of this mystical beast.

mag_lover05
03-08-2007, 11:35 PM
yea...is it atleast a looker? or is the anno jacked up to??

Tunaman
03-09-2007, 12:22 AM
It looks like an original AGD Europe Non C+C prototype version or something. I have seen others from across the pond that were nicer for sure. The last 1/8 inch of the bolt is rubber with a foamie too...the bolt is also around 20 thou shorter too. Wonder why that is...

Niox
03-09-2007, 01:56 PM
I bleeding know how to pick my markers don't I! :D I'm sorry if anyone is loosing hair over their own marker caused by this beast of a gun. At least it gives Tuna an excuse to use ALL of his shiny tools. I think he may right now be building an X-Mag entirely out of spares! At least I am now putting Tuna's family through University.

Money is no object my friend, I'll do extra shifts at work if need be just get this poor thing working! :)

FiXeL
03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I really hope Tuna can fix your banged up marker... It's a great gun and i have two of those, one being a non-cnc STD xmag. Mine also has some weird soldering inside, but does work perfectly. My guess is that you got one with some monday morning work on it, other than that these markers work perfectly.

Tuna, if you need pics of the internals of my STD xmag, i'll gladly PM them. Anything to help out a fellow mag user. :)

Niox
03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
Cheers FiXeL. I think it is pointless hoping for it back by the 25th. Have to make alternate marker plans.

FiXeL
03-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Np mate, my STD mag came from the U.K. and if i can help thats one great mag running again! I use the STD xmag as a main, and the other one just occasionally. (this weekend it will see action for the first time in years)

I really like xmags, no hyped up options, pure performance! It may be old, but never outgunned! :D

Niox
03-09-2007, 03:44 PM
I will have to wait until August now until I can use my X-Mag for the first time what with work and what not. Still it will probably be worth the wait!

P.S could I bother you (Tuna) for a snap shot of the current state of play with the X-Mag for a sort of scrap book or something?

Niox
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
Hey Tuna, I need a Mag to cover the X-Mag for the 25th of March. Warp left is a must. Can you please let me know what you have or if you can build one for me fast enough?

Evil1
03-20-2007, 11:52 PM
I would love to see pics of this weird xmag and Imsure everyone else would too. I love stuff like the promags and the Ti valve talk. I love weird mags.

javasnot17
03-20-2007, 11:54 PM
You can see pics of it dude. Just look 14 threads down.

magman007
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
welcome to the world of the e/xmag. Luckilly yours was jacked to begin with, and not one that just stopped working over time. If you really want some stories, search for pshycho balla's issues with his old sfl, or search for capo's issues with the e-kitty, or talk to agdrob about why he hates micro e's :)