PDA

View Full Version : The long winding road of upgrades...

TrracerAce
03-09-2007, 09:29 PM
I've got an older Mag I picked up used and I've been loving the hell out of it. But as it's older, it's worn in areas and outdated in others. I'm interested in upgrading it from start to finish and am seeking suggestions in the order of procession. Cost matters as much as performance here.

Her current layout:
- TASO Pro Series barrels (have three)
- Left powerfeed SS body
- Classic bolt/valve assembly. Valve rear is ANS Phase II.
- Blue splash rail, some wear from years of abuse. Wrench marks around vertical air port, where a 90* macro fitting is loctited in and the hex rounded off beyond hope of salvage. Previous owner apparently tried to take it off and only managed to ruin any chance of doing so.
- Benchmark Double Trigger frame
- DYE blue wood grips

So basically, the motif is this: I'd like to turn her into a modernized paint screamer with a blue/nickel finish and need suggestions in an order of procession.

Fire away! :D

craltal
03-09-2007, 09:32 PM
I'd say first step would be an xvalve, or an RT valve (pretty much the same thing, just the RT would be a little heavier

Cow123
03-09-2007, 09:46 PM
It may seem like a weird thing to focus on, but don't skimp on new screws. Stripped heads suck alot, and the older the screw, the more damage it has probably built up and the closer it is to stripping. Get new screws!

Oh, and an x-valve.(if used, check to be sure it has LVL10 bolt. That's anti chop) And it sounds like you might want a blue ULE body too. However, if you get the new body you will need autococker threaded barrels. Lastly, if you don't have it then you should get a ULT or better yet, do a spydermag conversion! :D

magpump
03-09-2007, 10:12 PM
or a pnuemag conversion :)

craltal
03-09-2007, 10:52 PM
In case you are unsure what the other guys are talking about. If you already know about this, just ignore me...

A Spydermag is a conversion where a Spyder electronic frame is modified for use with a mag. An inexpensive way to turn a mag into an electronic gun

A Pneumag adds a pneumatic trigger to the mag, yielding a very light trigger pull.

TrracerAce
03-10-2007, 01:29 AM
Yep, I know about SpyderMags. Don't know much about the intimate details of how they're made, but I've seen pictures of finished projects on MCB. Think a Rocking Trigger would work? :D

I'm definitely getting an X-Valve/RT valve and L10, all this goes without saying. Thing is I've got a fixed budget, upgrades would be a gradual affair. Like a L10 bolt this spring, a new trigger frame in the fall, an X-Valve after hocking an old tippmann near christmas, and so on.

Now if I had unlimited resources I'd just dump cash into AGD's coffers and say "Give me the best of everything you got and send it straight to Palmer's for more upgrades! Leave the anno off, they'll know what to do!"

But of course, my progress will instead be modest so every upgrade should be a minor step towards the final goal, but have a noticeable impact on my marker's performance. Keep 'em coming! :D

madcrisis
03-10-2007, 02:11 AM
if i buy a ult (i have an x-valve) i understand you can get reactivity by adding a bunch of shims. is this correct? and if so if i buy the ult and put all the shims in there will it be more reactive than the standard x-valve?

ProblemKinder
03-10-2007, 02:21 AM
if i buy a ult (i have an x-valve) i understand you can get reactivity by adding a bunch of shims. is this correct? and if so if i buy the ult and put all the shims in there will it be more reactive than the standard x-valve?

just play with it. keep adding shims till you get it where you like it. they can be pretty fussy sometimes. one shim can mean the difference between shooting great and not shooting at all.

Swampy
03-10-2007, 02:26 AM
or a pnuemag conversion :)
You really can't do a Pnuemag converison to a Benchmark frame. Those old frame's are not set up to do one. If you wanted to do one look into a Intelliframe, Utlimate, Airwalk, or a converted 90* frame. Mech wise I love a Benchmark "Mushy" frame.

If you wanted to go towards a electro frame personal experince go with hyperframe (a little expensive) but you will not regret it.

If you were a old school player, your probably still on CO2, big upgrade to HPA or N2 tank. Again personally I like a adjustable tank but a preset will do. With a nice drop, I still like KAPP.

TrracerAce
03-10-2007, 03:59 AM
You really can't do a Pnuemag converison to a Benchmark frame. Those old frame's are not set up to do one. If you wanted to do one look into a Intelliframe, Utlimate, Airwalk, or a converted 90* frame. Mech wise I love a Benchmark "Mushy" frame.

If you wanted to go towards a electro frame personal experince go with hyperframe (a little expensive) but you will not regret it.

If you were a old school player, your probably still on CO2, big upgrade to HPA or N2 tank. Again personally I like a adjustable tank but a preset will do. With a nice drop, I still like KAPP.

I'm on HPA. But the Benchy's gotta be one of the first things to go. The long pull and side-to-side slop is brutal. It's also a pain to remove as it doesn't have that little hole at the bottom of the guard to put allen keys through.

The plan is to keep it mechanical if I can, by the way.

madcrisis
03-10-2007, 08:50 AM
just play with it. keep adding shims till you get it where you like it. they can be pretty fussy sometimes. one shim can mean the difference between shooting great and not shooting at all.

but i do not want to go spend more money if it is not going to help my reactivity. so if i get it is it more reactive than the regulr valve?

Badmovies.org
03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
For me it would be a hard choice between the trigger frame and the valve being changed out first. You are right about the Benchmark. I tried one years ago on an Automag and did not like it. Changing to the Intelliframe was a big upgrade.

X-Valve with ULT is amazing if you are looking to stay all mechanical (I am the same way - not an electro type). I would definitely recommend it.

I would say you should be able to find a used X-Valve and Intelliframe for about $250 total. You should be able to recover some of that cost by sale or trade of your old parts.

You might want to look at the cost of buying a new RT Pro outfitted like you would want (remember to include the barrel cost) and how much you could look to get for your older Automag. That might be less expensive than the upgrades you will find yourself considering "mandatory."

Almost forgot, with that messed up air fitting I have always found that vise-grips are your friend. Just ensure you have a new fitting to replace the one that you will be damaging to remove.

ProblemKinder
03-10-2007, 05:17 PM
but i do not want to go spend more money if it is not going to help my reactivity. so if i get it is it more reactive than the regulr valve?

well yes, it is. but i would recommend buying the x-valve, and then installing the ULT (or just buying it already installed, if AGD does that). it's really easy to install and it makes the trigger pull alot lighter. i can actually walk my trigger.

madcrisis
03-10-2007, 11:40 PM
well yes, it is. but i would recommend buying the x-valve, and then installing the ULT (or just buying it already installed, if AGD does that). it's really easy to install and it makes the trigger pull alot lighter. i can actually walk my trigger.

not to sound like an a$$ but i have an ion (do not start flaming me and **** plz) and if i want to walk my trigger thats what i walk with. i want my mag to be more reactive and i was just wondering if increasing my input pressure and adding a ult will increase reactivity because if it does i will buy it but if it decreases i would buy it for the opposite of what i want.

(sry if that was hard to understand with my run-on sentences.)