PDA

View Full Version : extremely fine ult tuning

SR_matt
03-11-2007, 09:31 AM
ok so basicaly u have my ult set up near the edge of double/tripple shots (if i add another shim it will) but at this point i can walk my trigger well untill the tank gets about to 2000 psi becasue it will not recharge as well. so im trying to put basicaly 1/2 of a ult shim thickness in. my idea is to try to buff/sand down a shim (might have to use a lvl x shim and then jsut pull out a ult shim in there already to get it exactly what i want).

do yall think this will work? should i try a differant way?

-matt

CaliMagFan
03-13-2007, 06:37 PM
LX shims are twice the thickness of ULT shims. you wouldnt be able to combine LX shims with ULT shims to get a 1/2 ULT shim size. you might be able to run you setup like it is now for a while and then once the carrier o ring and the ULT o rings wear in a bit you can adda nother ult shim.

try it.

SR_matt
03-13-2007, 07:38 PM
ya i have been i know a little break in might happen, with my caliper i was getting readings that most of the shims were about .001 larger than what thay are listed as.

i haave an idea to use an oring instead of shims, i had a theory on how the trigger would feel and it seemed logical, just need to try it... maybe
-matt

athomas
03-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Use a fine 600 grit paper and rub the shims on it. You can probably remove a thou or two. The level 10 shims would be the easiest to sand because they have more metal on them and would be easier to hold, especially once they get thinner. A level 10 shim with 0.002" off it is still .008" which is thicker than a ULT to start. Try it and see what happens.

SR_matt
03-14-2007, 02:34 PM
ya im thinking about that. i also have crocus cloth and some 800 grit buffing compond so i think im gona try both.

can some one with a caliper check and see what they get on teh thicknesses of the shims (i know what is listed but idk if my caliper is off or if my shims really are over sized from the lable)

i also looked at mcmaster carr and saw some shims that are .002 thick but im not sure if they are the right diamater.

another idea i have is to use a small ring made from steel wire that is the thickness i need but it would need to be like 30 gauge wire so not to sure if that would work at all.

hmmm might just have to comission my machines friends to make a single shim of an exact thickness to get it... i know thats semi not cost efficent but i can do it and thats all that matters :p

-matt