PDA

View Full Version : Shipping to Cananda

Skywalker
03-12-2007, 02:33 PM
I am trying to ship my X-mag to Canada, from the U.S., but I hit a snag. Canada claims paintball guns are leathal weapons and won't let me send the package unless I have a firearms license. :rolleyes: Anyone have any ideas on what I could do without applying for a firearms license (although that would be sweet to have). :shooting: Thanks

Skywalker

LFD92
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
I'm guessing that on the customs form you listed exactly what it was (Xmag Paintball Marker). You could redo the customs for and list he contents as "Aluminum part of varying sizes and shapes". If you have already tred to take it to your local PO this may also mean you should go to the PO in a neighboring town to avoid recognition by a clerk.

You could also meet the buyer at the border :D

Skywalker
03-12-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing that on the customs form you listed exactly what it was (Xmag Paintball Marker). You could redo the customs for and list he contents as "Aluminum part of varying sizes and shapes". If you have already tred to take it to your local PO this may also mean you should go to the PO in a neighboring town to avoid recognition by a clerk.

You could also meet the buyer at the border :D

No, I didn't fill out any form yet. I called UPS for a shipping quote and the lady asked what is was and I said a paintball gun. That's when she informed me that it was illegal to ship without a license.

I could try shipping without saying what's exactly in the box, but that could get me in trouble not to mention they could confiscate the gun. I think I'm screwed. :mad:

smilestyler
03-12-2007, 03:52 PM
You don't have to lie about it. Just be vague :D I get paintball guns all the time, just put "used sporting equipment" if they ask you to be more specific, be very specific (anodized, aluminum parts) BTW you should be sending by USPS anyway.

LFD92
03-12-2007, 03:55 PM
No, I didn't fill out any form yet. I called UPS for a shipping quote and the lady asked what is was and I said a paintball gun. That's when she informed me that it was illegal to ship without a license.

I could try shipping without saying what's exactly in the box, but that could get me in trouble not to mention they could confiscate the gun. I think I'm screwed. :mad:

No, you're not screwed. Just follow the advice given to you and you will be fine. You really should be shipping USPS anyway, unless the buyer is requesting a tracking number.

You will also find that FedEx is cheaper than UPS. UPS eats money like it's being discontinued.

Skywalker
03-12-2007, 04:04 PM
Alrighty then, thanks for the input guys. :cheers:

MANN
03-12-2007, 04:09 PM
send usps. Label the package as "sporting goods" I have shipped many times to canada, france, uk, and japan. It has worked fine with me every time :cheers:

zackzel
03-12-2007, 05:07 PM
send usps. Label the package as "sporting goods" I have shipped many times to canada, france, uk, and japan. It has worked fine with me every time :cheers:

Thats what I always do too, it will never get questioned that way. I've shipped internationally many times.

Tao
03-12-2007, 06:41 PM
I am trying to ship my X-mag to Canada, from the U.S., but I hit a snag. Canada claims paintball guns are leathal weapons and won't let me send the package unless I have a firearms license. :rolleyes: Anyone have any ideas on what I could do without applying for a firearms license (although that would be sweet to have). :shooting: Thanks

Skywalker

Where are you shipping to?

This is news to me and I am a Canadian. There was a huge uproar a few years ago because the federal government were trying to classify markers as firearms (which would have killed the sport entirely). This fell through though....
It will cost you several $100 for a firearms license here....however you shouldn't need one.

My thoughts are that whoever told you that is on crack but......

Research this well and NOT on this forum. Talk with the Federal AND provincial governments. The province you are trying to ship to may have guidelines which are not the same as other places here. If this is true, you would be charged with traficing firearms...which would be huge!

Tao
03-12-2007, 06:45 PM

UPS may be on crack. What I DO know would cause you problems is if you shipped a tank with it. A tank needs a "TC" number, which is the equivalent to a DOTE number in Canada. Without it you will have to answer to transport Canada, with one you may have a hard time to since there are mostlikely regulations to follow as to how you ship it....When I buy guns from the states I always tell them to keep the tank to avoid hastle :rofl:

Tunaman
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Mark the customs form "Paint Marker"-Sporting goods. You will have no problems. Do not mention the word "GUN".

BigEvil
03-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Or hire a customs broker if you are really stuck.

Skywalker
03-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Mark the customs form "Paint Marker"-Sporting goods. You will have no problems. Do not mention the word "GUN".

That's probably the best route.

Thanks

Ken Majors
03-12-2007, 11:55 PM
I labeled the marker I sent a "pneumatic Paint Sprayer and accessories".

no problems.

hulk
08-09-2007, 02:13 PM
my dad is a gunsmith and he deals with gun transactions all the time. all you need is someone with a (A)FDA licencs to contact there (B)FDA licence holder . so A sends it to B and the guy that bought it off you goes and pics it up fills out paper work and he gets it. thats how firearms are handled any ways. its usualy a $20 (max) fee at both ends. but i have had a guy send me a supernova from canada no problem. as long as you dont tell whats in there its ok. if you say yah its 10 kilos of pure coke there not going to send it. i had my mom send out a gun and tank. she said it was a paitball gun. the lady asked if it had a tank in there. my mom not knowing said no. my mom freaked out when i told her there was one in there. but i didn't have uncle sam banging down my door. so just dont say its a paintball gun. say its a forestry tool. if you know the origin of paintball you know what im talking about.

athomas
08-10-2007, 07:31 AM
I get paintball guns sent up to Canada all the time. Just list it as Sporting goods - paintball marker and it will be fine. If you mention gun on the form, the customs agency automatically classifies it as a gun, which it is not.

kenndogg
08-10-2007, 07:38 AM
I've sent guns to Canada, Norway and Germany. I've always label it what is..so an Autococker would go as WGP AC equipment/marker. You don't have to lie, its really all in the wording and just don't use "gun" as Tunaman stated.

Madmarx
08-10-2007, 09:02 AM
I just shipped my Phantom yesterday USPS and was told by the clerk that I could not send it to Canada. I wrote CCI Phantom Paintball Marker on the form. After he said that, I added parts to it. So it read "CCI Phantom Paintball Marker Parts" and he took it. Said he'd let customs decide. Hope it get's there ok. I'll know next week I guess.

luke
08-10-2007, 09:45 AM
I tell them exactly what I'm shipping i.e "AGD X-valve" or AGD Intelli frame" etc.

Personally I don't ship markers assembled. Never use words like GUN or PAINTBALL.

angrysasquatch
08-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Also, ship USPS. I know I always get pissed when I have to pay UPS or Fedex their stupid brokerage fees that end up costing around half the value of the item when added to tax. With USPS, the buyer only has to pay tax.

mag_lover05
08-10-2007, 01:28 PM
put "gift" on the customs sheet... always goes through nicely.

Sumthinwicked
08-10-2007, 02:04 PM
break it down disattach the frame of course and write airsmithing parts YOUR NOT LIEING and i sent my pumpmag it took 10 mins total in us through canada customs btw i left the frame attached LOL (dont do this) he got it no problem :P)

athomas
08-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Customs officials classify this by the letter of the law. If it states gun on the package, it is processed as a real gun, and real gun laws are applied. I have spoken to customs officials about this and they were completely aware of the situation for shipping paintball markers. They were the ones that told me to mark it as sports equipment and as a marker, not as a gun.