PDA

View Full Version : the US Army wants .... fat weekend warriors?

StygShore
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
http://video.msn.com/v/us/v.htm?g=0866FE1A-1C71-443F-944B-F94E8D610509&t=s3&f=06/64&p=hotvideo_m_edpicks&fg=&GT1=9145

Interesting story....

Styg

kruger
03-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Locally, I almost had a contract with a Reserve unit to train at my field. Unfortunately, they were deployed and I had to halt negotiations with them. One of the things that I suggested was an Army Paintball team. Could you imagine having a Government sponsorship to go to the big games across the country and do your Army stuff, playing paintball? The Captain that I talked with just loved that idea. I pointed out that the woodsball/scenario players are a prime recruiting pool. They are already very interested in the military aspect of the game. That was several months ago. Maybe, this is my fault??????? :confused:

Paintchucker
03-12-2007, 11:06 PM
They use the pc based video game AmericasArmy in a similar manner as a recruiting tool.

kruger
03-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I am not taking credit for this, just that I thought that it was a bit of a coincident that it happened. You may get a few younger players that think that war is like paintball. But, by the time that you are old enough to actually join up for service, you def. know the difference. You will know by the time that you go thru the live fire course in boot camp anyway. And, can you really say that scenario/woodsball is not a game of war? What we are all doing is "playing war". Sure, its not the same thing, nobody dies. But a war game none the less.

geekwarrior
03-12-2007, 11:45 PM
jeez, how old is there paint ball footage.

at least they brought up the fact that not all paint ball is about weekend warriors training to be terrorist.

edit: they should hit up the airsoft squads, those guys are the real deal, they could take down SEALS. :rolleyes:

paintballfiend
03-13-2007, 10:45 AM
I don't know if they will take a guy who does a 12 minute mile. Looks like I'm safe for now. :rofl:

StygShore
03-13-2007, 11:35 AM
not sure I could do a mile, flat footed, asthma, allergies, blown out knee, and chunks of discs missing from my vertebrae.... yeah I'm safe.

Styg

rkjunior303
03-13-2007, 12:32 PM
good interview, actually. covered both sides of the fence.

Remington
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
good interview, actually. covered both sides of the fence.

I was glad to see that he either knew his stuff, or actually did enough of the legwork to get his facts straight. :clap:

mclaggan123
03-13-2007, 03:30 PM
at least they showed people wearing proper masks and not shop goggles. ive seen on the news people playing with sunglasses on. kruger do you own a field in ga? if so what the name of the field and do you have a website? i live in ga and i would like to travel around and see some other fields, its a plus that an Aoer has a field close to me.

SummaryJudgement
03-13-2007, 03:49 PM
"Paintball's combat-vibe is as appealing as the real thing." ?!?!

Desega
03-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Good thing I'm chunky. :D

pyrodragon
03-13-2007, 09:21 PM
I think it's a great recuiting tool for the army and all branches of the military. if the armed froces can spend millions of dollars on NASCAR sponorships, then them sponorsing a couple of paintball tourneys might be a wise investment. when i lived back home, Belton, Texas(near Ft. Hood), we had several military members play paintball. some of their tatics work other time it backfire on them. when it comes down to it look and see when they are spending money to recuit. NASCAR, NHRA and PBR (bullriding) are big venues but i think it's a wise investment for their dollar. not everyone is chunky and slow. bottomline when it comes down to it, i think the armed forces are doing a good job about recuiting but receive a bad rap because of where they get deployed. not the troops or the armed forces fault, they are just doing their jobs. i think it would be cool to see a speedball team in the army suits (the black, yellow and white) just my 2 cents

paintballfiend
03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
"Paintball's combat-vibe is as appealing as the real thing." ?!?!
Yeah, except the whole dying part. :rolleyes:

AutomagRT1483
03-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Thank god Im not going to that big game in Long Island.

anomoly40
03-15-2007, 01:24 AM
I thought most scenario players were either Section 8'd or found to be in the "wrong mindset" to have a real gun. :confused: :tard: :bounce: :shooting: :cry:

/this post was a joke. I play neither "woodsball" or "speedball", I simply play pump.

Swampy
03-15-2007, 02:20 AM
Paintball in the military is there allready I talked to me recruiter and several other army personal they use something called SIMuntions. Don't know the exact specs of it but its basicly the same thing as airsoft and paintball combined. Maybe someone can explain. They also use a lazer tag system called MILES as well.

I know all of these are "sports/games" in our world, but started as training tools/recuitment tools. Seeing a U.S. Army Paintball team wouldn't suprise me considering how much the Armed Forces spend on Recuiting alone.

anomoly40
03-15-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought it started as a bunch of guys taking cattle markers out into the woods and playing tag. Guess I was wrong.

http://www.paintball-guns.com/paintball_history.html

MoeMag
03-15-2007, 11:31 AM
HAHA!
My mom freaked out and called me and told me and said that all this paintball stuff would get me drafted...

:rolleyes:

CrimsonGhost
03-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Meh,

Army Navy Marines Etc have ALL used these things as recruiting tools.
Not all the folks they enlist go to combat....
They use BIG basketball games,baseball camping etc. to get people to sign onthe line.
The guy being interviewed is right..lots of paintballers DO like the military aspect of the game.
This is just advertising to your target demographic...Young people that may or may not know what they want to do YET with life.

This is not realy all that new or much to worry about.
You just have to be SMART and know what you want when a recruiter comes up to you.
They can NOT force you to sign.
If you are SOOOO weak minded that you CAN NOT resist doing something you do not want to ...

They are not going to a field and drafting you .

If the services do not appeal to you ...what are you sweating? Say thanks for the game and play on.

And before it starts...I am a Marine... not retired, just no longer "IN" :cheers:

Badmovies.org
03-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Active duty USMC here and yes, several of the Marines in my unit play.

fullofpaint
03-15-2007, 07:33 PM
my teamates a marine and has used that simunition stuff, it leaves SCARS, he says it apparently is supposed to feel like a real bullet?

Badmovies.org
03-15-2007, 08:01 PM
my teamates a marine and has used that simunition stuff, it leaves SCARS, he says it apparently is supposed to feel like a real bullet?

Only used MILES myself, so I cannot give any good feedback on the simunition rounds.

wjr
03-15-2007, 10:44 PM
I can't watch the video... so the army is trying to get paintballers to join?

I voulenteer Don Miguel.

Beemer
03-15-2007, 10:56 PM
I can't watch the video... so the army is trying to get paintballers to join?

I voulenteer Don Miguel.

Why cant you watch the vid? You cant voulenteer anyone. You could Volunteer yourself tho.

And you and everyone else lay off with the DM crap. Guess I need to set an example. Who wants to be it?

Peace Out

Swampy
03-16-2007, 01:54 AM
Only used MILES myself, so I cannot give any good feedback on the simunition rounds.

My bro (co G 2/24) was covered in SIMuntions bursts he got lit up with a 240G from his own guns crossing a street in mount town in Lejune (SP? plz and if that happened to me I'd run at them with a shovel or something). I heard from former and present soldiers that MILES sucks big fat floppy donkey :cuss: along with tthe FATS system.

God now I can't wait to go. I want to change from Ft. Jackson to something like Benning. Stupid 21J but hey I'm going to be reserve and I need the experince to get around state and local government for the job.

Toll
03-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I believe the simunition is just a gelcap with actual powder behind it...or atleast that's how it was explained to me

bentothejam1n
03-16-2007, 06:19 PM
edit..Thats funny you say this isnt third grade but some of you sure act like it at times. I didnt see him post in this thread.
Please show me the posts where I have acted like a third grader. Please. And what does DM not posting in this thread have anything to do with my post?

Desega
03-17-2007, 11:13 AM
The day that a fire fight in Iraq ends with a flag pull and no one dead, I'll sign up.

Badmovies.org
03-17-2007, 11:16 AM
The day that a fire fight in Iraq ends with a flag pull and no one dead, I'll sign up.

I dislike that attitude, but I am glad that you have the choice. I am also glad that enough young men and women of quality do take the oath to serve, despite knowing that they could be killed.

paintballfiend
03-17-2007, 12:43 PM
QFT!!!

CrimsonGhost
03-17-2007, 01:37 PM

Yes it can leave scars on exposed skin.
Its a plastic like shell with a wax like "fill" pink or orange .
They are NOT meant to FEEL like the real deal...just simulate firing with a REAL weapon.
I have a scar on my right arm from a sim round.
They use a cut down round from a real weapon...kind of a 1/2-1/4 charge so as to not implant themselves in you.

You can STILL see them coming from far enough away though...Matrix time!

Aas for the rest of this ....
I stand by my OG post.
and I will add this
"Bit fat hairy deal"!

Oh and , Happy St Pats !! :cheers:

fullofpaint
03-17-2007, 05:53 PM
ah ok I must have mis-understood him then