PDA

View Full Version : opinions on angels

madcrisis
03-13-2007, 09:42 PM
i want ur opinions on angels. i want personal experiences tech ingo everything. all responses are appreciated.

Toll
03-13-2007, 09:51 PM
Which angels? There are generations of them.

madcrisis
03-13-2007, 09:55 PM
newer like 3 years back or so (i know nothing about them but they seem like good guns thats why i want info.)

madcrisis
03-13-2007, 09:59 PM
also d they use autococker barrels?

warbeak2099
03-13-2007, 10:00 PM
no, they use angel barrels

Toll
03-13-2007, 10:01 PM
If you're looking at 2k4 speed series markers....I'd suggest you keep looking.

It's not that they're bad, but they aren't terribly newbie friendly.
Their stock regulator requires a low pressure tank, otherwise it won't get below 300fps.
They use leafspring switches which I hate withe a fiery passion.
Built in battery.

If I was to look into a 2k4 I'd swap out the stock reg ( or modify it, which ever floats your boat) put eyes in and replace the frame...which isn't as much work as it sounds. The last one I had ran on a timmy board with 9 volts and a microswitch...it was pretty slick

SpecialBlend2786
03-14-2007, 01:46 AM
It really depends on what generation of Angel you're talking about.

I love all of the generations before the A4's, and then I love the G7 Fly platform as well.

I just basically hated the the A4 platform. And I don't much care for the A1 platform either.

buzzboy
03-14-2007, 05:54 AM
Only thing I know is that you gotta get a 90* frame. They just make angels what they are. And from what I have seen it is a good idea to get a board that takes regular 9v batteries instead of the rechargable.

Pump Scout
03-14-2007, 08:11 AM
I've had two, and I'm likely to wind up with another someday. Mine were a 2000 Dark LCD and an A4 Fly. HATED the 90 degree frame. The older frames, and the new, curvy 45 frames are nice. That one's all personal preference. Never had any maintenance problems with either one other than an incorrectly assembled minireg on the LCD. Knowing a guy who was good with Angels locally was a boon there. I always thought both guns, with the LCD readout, were very user friendly, but you'll want to have the manual in your gearbag. Lots of settings that can be played with. As you probably already know, Angels have been getting progressively smaller through recent years. The older ones weren't huge, but stepping from the LCD to the Fly was noticable in the size difference. The A1 I held recently felt tiny, almost like the MicroMag I used to have. They've gotten much lighter as they've shrunk, too.

Barrels are as follows: LED, LCD, IR3, A4, A4 Fly, Speed, 05 Speed take old Angel barrels. G7 Fly, 06 Speed, and Gat take new Angel barrels, A1 takes A1 barrels, and can run new Angel barrels with a shim that WDP provides with a new A1.

BigEvil
03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
I have to agree with alot of what is being said.. Angels are a love/hate thing depending on what ones you are talking about.

LED's - great little guns, but need to be upgraded considerably. (Eyes, board, 2x trigger) But when they were are insane guns. Tough, fast and efficient. HP operation.
Here is my old LED that I installed a predator board and eyes in. Currently owned by Flawlez
http://www.jayloo.com/files/pics/24000/IMG_1660_rs.jpg

LCD - More refined version of the LED. No eyes, stock electronics leave alot to be desired. HP operation. Total sleeper gun with eyes and a decent controller board.

IR3 - a newer LCD basically - First 90* frames, which with the funky trigger guards were aweful. HP platform, another easily upgradable marker.

03-04 Speeds - No frills Angle, meaning a LED display board instead of the LCD type. Again, very upgradable, but the stock electronics suck. The Sensi ball detection system is a mess. They use LP tanks, and are very efficient and fast as hell. Eyes, a Predator board or a frame transplant like I did on mine make it on par with just about anything out there. I can easily hit rof in the 30's with it.

Here is a link to a recent pic of my 04 speed just from anno
http://www.bigevilonline.com/modules/coppermine/albums/My%20Guns/normal_04%20Speed%2001.jpg

A4 - Better version of the speeds IMO. 90* frame, better board. Later ones had eyes.

05 Speeds - My favorite of the Angels. Offered in either 90* of 45* frames with a very nice and light optical trigger switch. The first I and only angel (IIRC) to use a 9v battery stock instead of a rechargeable. Also can stock with eyes and improved software options. Still nowhere near as good as what the aftermarket boards offer. Also a LP platform.

G7 - smaller version of the angel than the 05 speeds. Had a special breech lever that also moved the bolt fwd and back when opening the breech to combat the alleged rollback-problems. Offered in 90 or 45 frames. Also had a slightly different barrel threading.

06 Speed - No frills version of the G7

A1 - The newest Angel. Very small and light, aimed at todays market. It has a different style 45 frame on it, and uses a Blackberry-type thumb wheel to scroll through the lcd display instead of buttons.

Pump Scout
03-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Oops, my bad, forgot something in the threading. The G7 takes old threads, the G7 Fly takes new threads. They changed the milling on the Fly to shorten up the body, and it didn't leave enough "meat" to sink those deep threads into. :)

SR_matt
03-14-2007, 03:48 PM
If you're looking at 2k4 speed series markers....I'd suggest you keep looking.

It's not that they're bad, but they aren't terribly newbie friendly.
Their stock regulator requires a low pressure tank, otherwise it won't get below 300fps.
They use leafspring switches which I hate withe a fiery passion.
Built in battery.

If I was to look into a 2k4 I'd swap out the stock reg ( or modify it, which ever floats your boat) put eyes in and replace the frame...which isn't as much work as it sounds. The last one I had ran on a timmy board with 9 volts and a microswitch...it was pretty slick
really? cause my friend ran a HP tank into a 04 speed with a stock reg and it ran under the limit fine

angles are great guns but they can be touchy, either you turn them on and play or you need to be very savy with the internals nothing inbetween. if you dont understand how they work dont mess with it.

-matt

punkncat
03-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I like Angels after the Speed.

Speeds, and A4's are pretty much the same. The later A4's became really noteworthy as Sensi was abandoned and eyes became stock. IMO after this change are the ones you want to find.

The G7 is the best improvement to me as they cammed the ram to allow it to take up the bolt space causing rollback. That problem plagued Angels from their inception. Not a huge deal using agitated hoppers, but caused much problems with force fed loaders.

I would still recommend avoiding the A1. Came with problems right out of the box. Most involving the eye alignment. Possibly fixed now, but 1st impressions go a long way.

Find one and shoot it before dropping a load of cash on one. Their value has taken a huge hit since their new flagship had so many problems and seemingly was not taken well. As has been mentioned its a love or hate thing. I personally really like them, but no longer own one. Liked a Vike better..... :D

p8ntbal4me
03-14-2007, 03:58 PM
I have a Chrome 1998 Angel SE LED.

Bought it for $150.

Came with the stock Jacko I series barrel, DYE SS, and 1 other I didnt care for.

Double trigger frame, trigger guard, and a KM2 Gabriel 1.2 to boot!

I owed the same gun brand new when it came out,... paid somewhere around 600-800 for it.

I love this gun, its fast and it works.

I like the looks of the new A1. Never liked the G7 look of the body.

BE is right,.. if you love one, you hate another.

zackzel
03-14-2007, 06:22 PM
First I just want to point out that BigEvil you are slightly off on your G7 description. The regular g7's, cobra's, and a believe arsonal(spelling?) all used the long old style angel thread. The G7 fly's new dark angels etc... used the newer thread.

As for angels in general I've owned quite a few. I can honestly say the old LCD is the greatest sleeper you can have with eyes a good reg and aftermarket board. I have a predator in mine with eyes and its just as fast as anything out there. Fairly easy maintenance, and you can get one for next to nothing, if you watch ebay I see heavily upgraded lcd's with eyes going for 200-350, which is an amazing deal for what you get.

Everything in between LCD and 05 speed I DID NOT like had problems with both my IR3 and 04 speed, never owned an A4 but I did not hear good things about it.

05 speed is also a great deal for the price and what you get, comes stock with eyes and a decent board. And you can't beat the 9V

G7 is also a great marker, the stock board i found to be all I ever need. Mine was a cobra but I think it had the same code as the regular g7's. Still took the long barrels which you can get really cheap. And also a pretty user friendly marker.

Your best bet is an older LCD with upgrades though. You can definatly find one cheap enough. And that will give you a good idea if you are going to like angels or not. Because all the new ones have the same basic design. A1 may not I dont' know much about it.

punkncat
03-14-2007, 06:42 PM
G7 is also a great marker, the stock board i found to be all I ever need.

Your best bet is an older LCD with upgrades though. You can definatly find one cheap enough. And that will give you a good idea if you are going to like angels or not. Because all the new ones have the same basic design. A1 may not I dont' know much about it.

Yes the stock G7 board will almost dance if you know how to program it. Does anything legal any other board will do.

Cannot agree on the LCD though. The board upgrade alone with eyes cost more than you can resell the marker for, and it will STILL have rollback.

geekwarrior
03-14-2007, 07:12 PM
Owned an 05 speed and an 06 Angel GAT, loved both of them. My Gat was one of the nicest guns I've owned...absolutely beautiful. Only ditched it because I saw I was about to lose about $200 on the resale. Hope to pick one up in a year or two, when they're dirt cheap.

I know AO has probably seen this pic about 20x already...but it's so puurrrty.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c54/GEEKWARRIOR81/AngelGat.jpg

zackzel
03-14-2007, 09:30 PM
Yes the stock G7 board will almost dance if you know how to program it. Does anything legal any other board will do.

Cannot agree on the LCD though. The board upgrade alone with eyes cost more than you can resell the marker for, and it will STILL have rollback.

Agreed about the rollback. But I never have to much trouble with it. And what I was saying is that you can find an LCD with the eyes and board installed for around 300 so that would be a great starting point.

Malystryx
03-14-2007, 10:26 PM
You get rid of the rollback when you put in a softface bolt, atleast it worked in my LCD. My LED doesn't seem to get any rollback, but the LCD and LED bolt designs were a little different, the LED is a bit shorter.

SCpoloRicker
03-14-2007, 10:40 PM
I'm running a 2k3 LE with a PredII board, old software. I'm not sure what 'rollback' is, could you describe the issue?

Searching now...

Corbet
03-14-2007, 10:45 PM
What options does someone have used with about $300-$400? I absolutely love the looks of angel speed and fly but can't afford something brand new.

viper-mayhem
03-14-2007, 11:08 PM
What options does someone have used with about $300-$400? I absolutely love the looks of angel speed and fly but can't afford something brand new.
Well here goes my first post. I own 2 Angels the Arsenal G7 and the LCD. I use both for alot of competative/tournament speedball. I personally love the 90 deg. frame and the 45 on my LCD. Depending on what you are using it for, any Angel should surfice. I am now looking for a board to replace my LCD board only because the rechargable battery is around $65 and I am desperately looking for a Lucky board for around $85 but since they just closed their US based distributors, I'm having to look pretty hard. Since I am a Mid/Back player, I usually dump around 700-1100 balls in a tournament game, using a 68/3000 tank with my G7. An untampered Angel will give you great service without the maintainance required for other electo markers. I am awaiting my RT Pro that I picked up new for a very-very good deal. We plan to hit the mechanical tournaments this year and I didn't want to mess with the cocker timing issues. Good Luck in whatever you decide. V-M

geekwarrior
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM

you can get an 05 speed in that range...maybe a G7, they've been dropping. I got an 06 Gat off ebay for 420 a few months ago....tunred around and sold it for 520 :D

Corbet
03-15-2007, 01:16 AM
you can get an 05 speed in that range...maybe a G7, they've been dropping. I got an 06 Gat off ebay for 420 a few months ago....tunred around and sold it for 520 :D

Am I missing something? This went for 275 BIN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGEL-FLY-IR3-BLUE-ANGEL-AIR-68-45_W0QQitemZ290092275219QQcategoryZ47250QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

geekwarrior
03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Am I missing something? This went for 275 BIN:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ANGEL-FLY-IR3-BLUE-ANGEL-AIR-68-45_W0QQitemZ290092275219QQcategoryZ47250QQrdZ1QQcm dZViewItem

not sure what you're getting at.....

Toll
03-15-2007, 09:52 AM
http://www.diehardpaintball.on.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4789'

Hate to link the home boards but this fits in pretty well. 425$ Cdn is a pretty solid price for all of that.