PDA

View Full Version : Stripped Allen Screws in Rail Foregrip

ryanbrantley
03-14-2007, 05:21 PM
I'm trying to remove the foregrip off of my RT Pro but it seems that 4 of the 6 allen screws are locked in place. Any suggestions on how to get these suckers out of here?

Badmovies.org
03-14-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm trying to remove the foregrip off of my RT Pro but it seems that 4 of the 6 allen screws are locked in place. Any suggestions on how to get these suckers out of here?

Are they stripped or stuck? If stripped, your next bet is a screw extractor - if you use one just remember to read the directions and go slow.

If stuck, it is quite possible that they were put in with a thread locker. The best bet for that, unless it is the kind that needs to be heated to release, is a sudden hard turn to break the bond.

Dewok82
03-15-2007, 08:57 AM
In my experience, I've noticed AGD does put some sort of locking compound on those screws (it is an off-white color gunk) and sometimes they can be a pain to remove. Make sure you're using a GOOD QUALITY allen wrench. A crappy one with crappy tolerances greatly increases your odds of stripping the screw.

As Badmovies mentioned, if they aren't stripped, a sudden hard turn will break the bond.

If they're stripped, a torx head (looks like a star) wrench might get enough grip.

I've stripped a couple of those screws and have had success with a screw extractor. Another method that worked for me is to JB weld an old/crappy/or cheap allen wrench (one you don't mind losing) into the stripped screw. Let the JB Weld cure for a few days and then take it out.

I think you can pick up a set of crappy metric and standard size allen wrenches at Wally World for $1-2. The tolerances of them are terrible, but they are good for loaners (which are rarely seen again) and ruining when using the JB Weld method.

MANN
03-15-2007, 09:46 AM
If they're stripped, a torx head (looks like a star) wrench might get enough grip.

This works great. :cheers:

flyingpootang
03-15-2007, 10:24 AM
If the screws are stripped you can cut a thin screw driver slot into it with a thin fine tooth hacksaw blade.