PDA

View Full Version : Home Powder Coating

Paint-Fool
03-14-2007, 11:28 PM
Ok Sears has a home powder coating gun has anyone tried it? I want to get one but I'm not sure how my parts will turn out. I have a few old barrels to experiment with so no big deal if they look like crap. lol I'm trying to achieve the same black as the AGD stainless bodies. Would that be considered satin or what? Sears offers several black powders including satin,textured,jet black and wrinkle finish I believe. I'm guessing satin would be the best choice?? :cheers:

neppo1345
03-15-2007, 12:01 AM
I had a friend do some home powder coating.

He had a special oven (BIG standup walking oven), and a 'professional' gun.

But when he bought everything he was given a Harbor Freight gun (probably about the same quality as the sears model).

The only noticeable difference between the two guns was the hopper system.

I helped him do some jobs from 4-wheeler frames to intakes for sport compacts to paintball guns.

I noticed NO difference in quality from the cheap gun to the professional gun.

We also used his oven in his house for smaller and personal jobs since it took quite a bit of power to fire up the walk in (that we weren't getting paid to do).

I also noticed NO difference in quality between the ovens.

The biggest thing I learned was that you have to make sure the parts are perfectly clean before spraying them.

Pneumagger
03-15-2007, 01:18 AM
does it ruin the oven, or make it unsafe to cook food in later?

Swampy
03-15-2007, 02:25 AM
all this talk about ovens makes me want pizza.

But anyways I want to hear so results. I'm interested.

BigEvil
03-15-2007, 04:44 AM
does it ruin the oven, or make it unsafe to cook food in later?

You need a 'dedicated electric oven'... so one can only assume that it will be unusable for cooking.

Here is probably the best home powder coating system out.
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=92&itemType=CONTENT

Just like anno, alot depends on surface prep.. but it will hide imperfections much better than anno.

luke
03-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Yes BigE is right on the mark, you do need a dedicated oven electric oven.

I currently have 2, a small one for paintball parts and this one that I've been building for the past 6 weeks or so. All I have left is the wiring. :clap:

http://www.lukescustoms.com/Oven_front.JPG

This one is a usable 100 cubic feet. In the next few months I'll be building one a 1/3 smaller than this.

You will also need (or likely want) a powder coating cabinet. You can see mine in the picture in the back left corner.

The Eastwood, Harborfreight, and Sears setups aren't the best setups out there. As I understand it ALL of those units are troublesome...

DaFin
03-15-2007, 08:40 AM
Actually.... I don't think that baking a powder coated peice in a regular kitchen oven will have any adverse effect on the oven as long as none of the powder is knocked off part and on to the bottom of the oven. The way powder coat works you are just melting a finely ground resin onto a surface, not burning anything or giving off noxious gasses. Just make sure to read the info on the powder for the time at tempurature needed for it to fully cure or it will chip off really easily.

Happy powder coating,

luke
03-15-2007, 08:53 AM
Actually.... not burning anything or giving off noxious gasses.

Not true.

rkjunior303
03-15-2007, 08:56 AM
Actually.... I don't think that baking a powder coated peice in a regular kitchen oven will have any adverse effect on the oven as long as none of the powder is knocked off part and on to the bottom of the oven. The way powder coat works you are just melting a finely ground resin onto a surface, not burning anything or giving off noxious gasses. Just make sure to read the info on the powder for the time at tempurature needed for it to fully cure or it will chip off really easily.

Happy powder coating,

do you know what happens when something melts?

peewee
03-15-2007, 09:36 AM

Happy powder coating,

You would want to leave the house & get all the cats etc out.
Very nasty stuff in the way of fumes/gases. I ran industrial level production powder coating equipment for 7 years. You can cure epoxy base powder at 350/400 in about 25/35 minutes. As with anything you get what you pay for in the way of quality. One of the coolest paints I ever used was a black crackle coat black with silver spider web. You want to make sure that the aluminum is clean & 100% oil free before coating.

Rudz
03-15-2007, 11:44 AM
id listen to luke if i was you guys