PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to Dixie Cup in Lithia Springs?

punkncat
03-18-2007, 09:52 PM
CFOA next weekend at Classic. This will be our teams first (official) event. We have decided to make the geographically close events this year in Beginner class to feel out the rules, see how things work, etc. Nervous as to how we will do with the rules.....can't wait until the first game is over so I can calm down. Lol

Any of you playing? Will we see you there?

Look for Twisted, we will be there Sat hanging out and Sun to play, thanks to Chris and B'ville Paintball. (ding)

Josh2Xtremes
03-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Not to play, but to run the thing. :) Larry Motes, the CFOA President, and myself (Josh Silverman the Director of Marketing and Sponsorship) are longtime Automag shooters.

I'm excited you're coming to play but I don't want you to be nervous! Are there any questions I can answer or anything I can do to help you out?

By all means ask away right here or email me at Josh@thecfoa.com and I'll help you out all I can. That's what we're here for.
Josh

Joshua D. Silverman
Director of Marketing and Sponsorship, CFOA Tournament Series
Associate Editor, Paintball Games International Magazine
Publicist, DraXxuS / VForce Vision / Procaps Direct
www.joshuasilverman.com

punkncat
03-19-2007, 04:00 PM
What paint and clothing colors are prohibited?

What time is the capt's meeting, and game on?

In the beginner division how are the refs about "warning" for infractions? IE paintchecks, playing on etc....
Being unfamiliar with the rules I was wondering what kind of leeway is given on first violation, should there even be any.

"PSP" ramp is allowed at 15BPS cap, correct?

I may have a few more pop up as I think of them.

Thanks Josh, once again and as always very helpful.

Josh2Xtremes
03-19-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm happy to help. I'll keep saying it 'till everyone believes me; this is what I'm around for. :) The CFOA endeavors to put "customer service" back into tournament paintball. Yeah yeah I know, sounds crazy. And yet we're gonna do it.

So to answer your questions...

Don't shoot pink paint, we banned it because we got tired of stuff getting stained...like Larry's wife's truck, ask him about it. ;)

Don't wear anything orange, or shoot an orange gun. Orange is a paint color so we had to ask teams to stop wearing stuff that made it harder than it already is to get them off the field.

Don't wear metal cleats. Don't wear a mask modified in ANY way from its factory form, other than adding a second strap or pulling the chin strap off. The refs won't warn you, they did that last year. They'll just pull you as you break out. We're serious about your safety. NO modded masks. Yes that includes JT softears on your Profilers, I'm sick of hearing that one. But that's a ME problem, not a you thing. lol

Don't try to wear a hoodie sweatshirt onto the field. Refs are serious about layers this year. Again, they won't warn you, just pull you.

Don't wear stupid looking jester hats or anything like that...people will make fun of you.

As the Beginner division plays on Sunday with the novices, and as we only have 4 fields to run what looks like 80-plus teams in 1 day, the refs aren't going to have time to mommy anyone out there, including the beginners. We understand it's a division for people new to tournaments, but come on we've played paintball before. Know the rules and come and play ball...if you want to push the rules, our refs will push back. They're well-paid to do so. You'll get no warnings on playing on. Most of the time the refs will have you pulled and have rung up at least 1 or 2 buddies to take to the dead box with you, before you even know you've been caught.

That said, we and our refs are people and players too. Frankly, we aren't dicks. If you have questions or concerns, come to us. Know that our refs are busy running hundreds of games per day and may not have time to fully assist you. If you need rule clarification or any questions, come find me or Larry and we'll help you all we can.

In the CFOA you are allowed to ramp to a tad over 15bps, our rule is identical to the PSP. The criteria your gun must meet are:
1. I pull the trigger three times, I get 3 shots in semi. Your gun may then ramp.
2. I slap the hopper, the back of the gun and the tank. The gun must NOT fire.
3. I kick your gun into ramp, then take my finger off the trigger. Gun MUST immediately stop firing. No runaway guns.
4. Your gun must not fire at a speed in excess of 300 feet per second.
5. Your gun must not fire faster than 15.3 balls per second (PSP Mode)

Our referees have PACT timers, Paintball Radarchron BPS units and handheld chronographs at every field. If you want to test your gun, feel free to ask a head referee to do so. You have that right. Know that we have a Parabolic microphone and pact timer like that used by the NXL to test your rate of fire from off the field, you'll never know when or where he's going to be. We have a Stalker hand-held radar gun to test your velocity at that 15th ball per second. You won't know where he is either. But if you're cheating we'll bust you. ;)

Schedules will be posted this week for the event. It's likely we'll start at 8am to get all the games in. That said, Captain's meeting will be at 7:30. MAKE SURE you come early early early to register. Long lines suck but they happen. If you need paint the CFOA will have CFOA brand DraXxuS Bronze, Silver and Gold available for 40, 45 and 50 bucks per case incrementally. You can buy as much or as little as you want and we'll even store it for you in climate controlled comfort, just come pick it up as you need it. We take all credits cards both online or at the field. Come early to set up your team staging area. Stake out some space. If you don't you'll be staging out by the highway. And for HEAVEN'S SAKE BUY YOUR ID's ONLINE so you don't have to wait in line for an hour or two! Save yourself the trouble AND the ten bucks.

I hope all this helps and doesn't scare the heck out of you. We're here to help you and want you to enjoy your experience. IF there is ANYTHING we can do, ask.
Josh

CKY_Alliance
03-19-2007, 08:16 PM
He mentioned hoodies and that they are cracking down on layers..those layers are no more then 2 layers...so if you wear gym shorts or shorts under your pants you better free ball it or don't wear the shorts underneath..I mainly bring this example up because of expeirence.. :(

If you just play ball like you are suppose to then you have no worries about breaking rules and being penalized, there are no rules that are out of the ordinary.

I might wonder down there..who knows..

punkncat
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
I appreciate all that. Its very cool to get the word straight from the source.

Can you link me to where I would get the card. I assume you mean the APPA card, correct?
If I purchase it online, do I print it out or something? How do I actually have the card in hand before the game?

*EDIT* It appears that the deadline for getting the card(discount) online has passed. Correct me if I am wrong *EDIT*

Sorry bud, I know this is noobie kinda things to ask, but I don't want myself or any of my teammates not to know this stuff. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

And once again your help and advice is greatly appreciated.

Josh2Xtremes
03-20-2007, 02:45 AM
Hey man, the newbie is the one who DOESN'T ask the questions. I'd rather answer 500 questions right here, via email or over the phone to be sure you have a great time at our event rathter than not answer 1 question, have you show up and be disappointed.

Josh

68magOwner
03-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Report back about how you do. I will be stuck at school for this event, but, my boys will be down their playing on sunday. I will be playing the next event in china grove. Ill be there with QCK, as well as with the NCSU team that plans to play the event.

punkncat
03-25-2007, 07:55 PM
Quick Update...

We placed no worse than 8th out of 51? teams playing in Beginner. Made it to the Semi's and got beat out 1/2. We made something between 5-8th, but packed up before we saw the final results, as we were all about to pass out. It must have been 95* out there today.

I would like to give Kudos to the CFOA administative and reffing staff. Excellent job all the way around. The refs were firm, but even handed. They took no crap at all. Games were ahead of schedule all day, ran smooth. There were a lot of people there, so that was no small feat.

It was a great experiance, the team played well. We are all looking forward to the next event we can make. Hopefully the game in Chattanooga. If not, for certain at Dirty South here at home.....See y'all there.

CKY_Alliance
03-25-2007, 09:55 PM
Quick Update...

We placed no worse than 8th out of 51? teams playing in Beginner. Made it to the Semi's and got beat out 1/2. We made something between 5-8th, but packed up before we saw the final results, as we were all about to pass out. It must have been 95* out there today.

I would like to give Kudos to the CFOA administative and reffing staff. Excellent job all the way around. The refs were firm, but even handed. They took no crap at all. Games were ahead of schedule all day, ran smooth. There were a lot of people there, so that was no small feat.

It was a great experiance, the team played well. We are all looking forward to the next event we can make. Hopefully the game in Chattanooga. If not, for certain at Dirty South here at home.....See y'all there.

For first event thats friggin good... my team plays SCPFOA, but debating playing CFOA...

68 have you played both by chance?I know atleast a couple of the QCK players have played SCPFOA..

punkncat
03-26-2007, 01:28 PM
For first event thats friggin good... my team plays SCPFOA, but debating playing CFOA...

68 have you played both by chance?I know atleast a couple of the QCK players have played SCPFOA..

Thanks.

We are looking forward to next so we can see if it was beginners luck...lol

CKY_Alliance
03-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Thanks.

We are looking forward to next so we can see if it was beginners luck...lol

Ye our first SCPFOA we finished 5th and were like 20 points from going to finals, then the next one we played we got like 9th out of 12...of course we did pick up our 5th player the night before the event, so that may have had somethign to do with it...

Only time will tell.

68magOwner
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I personally have not, although I was invited to play with Organized Chaos. The teammates of mine who have played say that the average skill level of the teams in SCPFOA is signifigantly lower than that found in the cfoa. They seem to feel that a rook SCPFOA team should fair well in beginner CFOA, a rookie SCPFOA team should fair well in rookie cfoa, ect. Although, I am sure there are many many exceptions to this generalization.

edit- congrats on the good finish. Wish you guys could make it out to China Grove, I will be there playing nov with my QCK brothers, and coaching the NC State team that will be playing beginner.

edit v2- punkcat, just saw a pic of you from the event, how did your mini work for you? I am holding my second one right now. My first one (red) shot like a dream, pretty much shot like a tiny little quest. Hopefully this second one (blue) will be as good to me.

CKY_Alliance
03-27-2007, 04:12 PM
I personally have not, although I was invited to play with Organized Chaos. The teammates of mine who have played say that the average skill level of the teams in SCPFOA is signifigantly lower than that found in the cfoa. They seem to feel that a rook SCPFOA team should fair well in beginner CFOA, a rookie SCPFOA team should fair well in rookie cfoa, ect. Although, I am sure there are many many exceptions to this generalization.

edit- congrats on the good finish. Wish you guys could make it out to China Grove, I will be there playing nov with my QCK brothers, and coaching the NC State team that will be playing beginner.

edit v2- punkcat, just saw a pic of you from the event, how did your mini work for you? I am holding my second one right now. My first one (red) shot like a dream, pretty much shot like a tiny little quest. Hopefully this second one (blue) will be as good to me.

Wow you're good, you answered my question before I asked it. I was gonna ask about how they compare, I've been considering having my team play CFOA...but aren't they all 2 day events?

Would really like to play cfoa xball, but the friggin entry is riddiculous unless you have like 15 people.

punkncat
03-27-2007, 04:19 PM
CFOA is two days but the division(s) are only on one day.

The MINI has been flawless so far. Its very consistant, efficent, and so far trouble free. I had a lot of people looking at and asking about it at the Dixie cup.

CKY_Alliance
03-27-2007, 05:58 PM
CFOA is two days but the division(s) are only on one day.

The MINI has been flawless so far. Its very consistant, efficent, and so far trouble free. I had a lot of people looking at and asking about it at the Dixie cup.

Oh, hmm we may have to try our luck then.

68magOwner
03-27-2007, 06:04 PM
yeah, rookie plays on saturday, and novice/beginner play on sunday. 2 day events, but, you only play 1 day (unless your playing in multiple divisions, but, im assuming you wolnt be if your just checking it out lol). The xball events are 2 days and you play both days. I highly encourage you or any other team in the region to check the cfoa out, its always a blast. Events are very organazed and well run, people ar friendly, refs are fair, i havent had a bad time at an event in several seasons.

punkncat
03-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Oh, hmm we may have to try our luck then.

Let me know when or if you do. If you are playing in our division I would like to make the game you attend. Its possible we might even draw each others team.

How far into SC are you? I may have asked this already...

punkncat
03-28-2007, 09:13 PM
Actually placed 6th in the event.
Had to post a screen shot of our ranking..
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/259/259802/pages/932422/untitled(Medium).JPG

Headed to China Grove next month to raise that a bit. :D

68magOwner
03-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Headed to China Grove next month to raise that a bit. :D
Good deal, maybe you will end up playing my NCSU boys.

CKY_Alliance
03-28-2007, 10:07 PM
Let me know when or if you do. If you are playing in our division I would like to make the game you attend. Its possible we might even draw each others team.

How far into SC are you? I may have asked this already...

Like an hour and half away from savanah...and about 45 minutes from Charleston SC or the coast...

Ye if we do decide to play Ill let you know..if so we will be playing beginner..

our first priority is SCPFOA..if we win that series we get a free trip to cup and its a fairly small series..so we are trying to focus on that, but I think we all would rather play CFOA..bigger and more exposure, not that we are tryign to go pro or anything, but CFOA players do get pics in magazines and that would be cool to say "hey im in this mag"...not mention the overall prize for scpfoa may be good but each individual event prize kinda suks..

Im babbling.

punkncat
03-28-2007, 10:15 PM
The whole reason we are able to play is that we are walking billboards for our sponsor B'ville Paintball (ding)....and so far keeping him very happy.

Josh2Xtremes
03-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Just a little history lesson, there was a time when the CFOA awarded both a free entry to World Cup AND a skid of paint to shoot while you were down there as grand prize. After that we awarded guns like Egos, Shocktech Shockers, etc. Problem is, people started griping that the season ending prizes were too rich and the per-event prizes were too light. So we switched it up; we took all the year-end prizes and dumped them into each monthly event, making those prize packages so much richer.

Not that it matters or is even pertinent to the conversation...just uh...a little history...for um...you to consider. Yeah...so um...carry on.

As you were.

Josh

CKY_Alliance
03-29-2007, 11:27 AM
Just a little history lesson, there was a time when the CFOA awarded both a free entry to World Cup AND a skid of paint to shoot while you were down there as grand prize. After that we awarded guns like Egos, Shocktech Shockers, etc. Problem is, people started griping that the season ending prizes were too rich and the per-event prizes were too light. So we switched it up; we took all the year-end prizes and dumped them into each monthly event, making those prize packages so much richer.

Not that it matters or is even pertinent to the conversation...just uh...a little history...for um...you to consider. Yeah...so um...carry on.

As you were.

Josh

Ye,I would rather have better prizes per event..honestly I dont know why we aren't playing cfoa